Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

aftermarket turbo-back exhaust w/ converter???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket turbo-back exhaust w/ aftermarket cat

hey everyone, just got an 06 evo ix mr a month ago and the the service light came on, so i took it to checkers and they said the o2 sensor is failing from the exhaust. when i did an oil change this past weekend, i noticed that it has an aftermarket downpipe and an aftermarket cat connecting to a magnaflow exhaust (all pipe is 4" diameter), and an aftermarket o2 sensor w/ bad wiring and configured to report lesser emissions. i took it to the dealer today to make sure this was the issue (cuz i'm paranoid), they found that the cat isn't meeting emissions; but now the dealer is saying this will void my warranty. can this happen??? cuz the exhaust won't affect the engine, except for not enough back pressure... i plan on getting the stock downpipe, cat, o2 sensor, and another cat-back exhaust perhaps the tanabe concept g blue (all factory, except cat-back exhaust), should i still have the factory warranty on the car??? what can i say or do???

thanks in advance

Last edited by LAo_pRiNCe; Nov 1, 2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: misprint
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the Magnuson Moss Act, they can't do that, but they try to pretty often. Sadly, the dealer has likely already reported the mods in the system and the car has been "marked."

At the end of the day, the dealer has to prove that the mods caused any failure that might occur. However, it's a huge company against a guy with a car ... who has the advantage.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you sure it's 4'' exhaust and not 3''? 4'' is too big for a stock turbo. Is the SES on because of the O2 censor or due to the high-flow cat? If it's the cat, just get a CEL fix from someone like Gruppe-S and call it a day.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:43 PM

thanks, i'm just pissed about the possibility of the dealer voiding my warranty and that a stock cat will cost me $800 plus $340 for the o2 sensor. now if i install the downpipe and my cat-back exhaust and have the dealer install the o2 sensor, save some money for labor, i hope this will better my chances of not voiding the warranty.

it may be 3", but it's larger than stock pipes, and the aftermarket o2 sensor was wired wrong to report lower emissions and there is something faulted with the o2 sensor and doesn't work anymore; and that the o2 sensor plug connected to the cat-back isn't the right fit, wires are too long, and the wires are wrapped around the exhaust pipe. the dealer said that it's blown and needs to be replaced. (don't know if this is true this i check it out). they said they tested the exhaust fumes and it failed and this is how they know the cat failed.

Last edited by LAo_pRiNCe; Nov 1, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just get a mechanical o2 fix and clear the code, it won't read then. Save yourself all that money...
Old Nov 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

They cant void the warranty across the board....they can void the warranty stating that it is supposed to pass emissions.

Lancershop sells an O2 simulator for cars without a cat OR a lower efficiency than stock cat.

I would suggest installing this and finding another dealer. If they give you problems with the warranty work after that, call MMNA and complain. 80% chance that will get them going.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 07:20 AM

I went back to the dealer to pick up my car and spoke the manager. they told me that the warranty would not be voided completely, just if i run into issues that the engine would be running to rich due to a malfunctioned o2 sensor. to be on the safe side, i think getting the stock o2 sensor and cat would be a good idea. i don't intend on modding the car until the warranty is up. is this a good plan so i don't have to worry too much about any future warranty issues? if so, anyone knows where to get a stock o2 sensor and cat?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

just do the 'mechanical fix' it's a $2 part, the check engine light goes off and there's no longer anything to worry about...

Look in the 'how to' section for the o2 sensor fix.