Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I can hear whining somehwere in my engine....could it be TC?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem in my evo. It would whine everytime I stepped on the gas. I tried to turn up the radio but the whining was deafining. I took it into the dealer at they said it was my TC. Thank goodness they replaced it under warranty
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05evoGSR
no the whine comes in at highway speeds and u can barley hear your radio at normal volume. Mine only whines at the speeds of 60-65mph then again a lil around 80...i can be in 4th, 5th or coasting and it will make the noise...if im in decel while in gear its quite. Ive put about 12k on the car since this started, launched at least 6-10 times pulling 1.6 60fts and hasnt got any worse so guess ill live with it, im not putting out 3-3.5k to get a new rebulit one from Shep or TRE until the thing hits the pavement. Hoping someone comes out with a replacement ring and pinion before that happens so i dont have a buy a whole new TC but we shall see.
Shep is already installing new ring and pinion gears. There is a waiting list though.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
Shep is already installing new ring and pinion gears. There is a waiting list though.
So you can send in your operational but whining TC and they will fix it without having to buy a new one? Any idea how much this costs or the length of the wait list?

I just think the fact we had no other choice than to buy a whole new TC was rediculous. All that is going bad is the ring an pinion gears that should cost no more than $200 for the parts needed to fix it. Maybe ill give Shep a call...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

latest update here.....

It whines(but sounds like a fan or belt too) at 3-3500rpm on first gear only! when it reach 3k the more you gas the louder the sound it makes so i shift it to 2nd gear once i hear it and it doesnt make the noise.
I will check the AC compressor too.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

look, your TC and sounds it might make should have nothing to do with RPM. The only thing that should change the sound is MPH and weather you are under load, coasting or decel. You can be in 1st gear at 7k RPM or 5th at 1k RPM the TC gears are moving the same speed (figuring that is about the same MPH)....if its a RPM related sound i would say tranny or anything that is belt driven by the engine is your problem.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through something similar and it was dreadful. I despise not knowing what is wrong with my car. In retrospect I should have gone to one of the many NYC meets to have fellow members diagnose my issue or taken it to a mechanic earlier. You can check my post and download my videos I made a while back to see if your noise sounds like mine. You need to open these files with quicktime.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=transfercase