Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS EVO8 GT Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2003, 04:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS knows wtf their talking about... How fast is that guy's eclipse with the equal length manifold running? Because AMS has an EVO 2...that I have seen in person run 9's. Almost all the stuff on the car is their design! For some reason, I wouldn't badmouth their knowledge about designing performance parts...especially 4G parts. For 4 grand your going to get a better kit than a HKS 5 grand kit...
Old Jul 24, 2003, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 5SSuzuki
AMS knows wtf their talking about... How fast is that guy's eclipse with the equal length manifold running? Because AMS has an EVO 2...that I have seen in person run 9's. Almost all the stuff on the car is their design! For some reason, I wouldn't badmouth their knowledge about designing performance parts...especially 4G parts. For 4 grand your going to get a better kit than a HKS 5 grand kit...
I'm not knocking anyone’s kit.. But.. It’s just common knowledge that when you have two exhaust paths as such. With such a wide variable length difference, you will have standing waves and pulse issues.

If AMS doesn't feel that it will alter the overall effect of the kit so be it.

Like they said, it was a prototype and not the finial design.

Besides, everyone needs a little constructive criticism now and again.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by mazdryk
I have to agree with silverevo8 about the 1st cylinder pipe being to long. I Personally wont by this kit because of the HUGE length difference. It might not make that big of a difference but in the long run it will. Please AMS dont ruin this turbo kit with an inferior exhaust manifold when the rest of the kit sounds so great. It seems like it would be an easy fix to make them all closer to even. Why is the 1st cylinder pipe reaching the furthest to the turbo when it can be switched with another?
I have been going to AMS for the service on my DSM almost as long as they have been open, and now I take my EVO there. Over the last two years I have witnessed many people putting down Martin's designs, claiming that his GVR-4 I/C kit didn't have big enough piping or that the core was too small, or that his turbo kit uses an adaptor plate instead of a dedicated manifold and how that is going to hurt performance. And every time, Martin's designs have out-performed everyones expectations. I'm pretty sure that his education is in mechanical engineering and stand by his designs and theories.

just my 2 cents

joshua
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

AMS,

This would be my suggestion for your 450 whp kit:

Put together the turbo, header, exhaust, cams, greddy ecu as a kit.

Accessories would be greddy e-01, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure riser, etc etc at a discounted price provided these are purchase at the time of sale with the kit.

Just one suggestion and it would be nice to see others jump in there with me and help me out.

Thanks AMS
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

adding the cams and e-manange you just made this a $5k kit that you are still going to NEED the other partes youmentioned to run it to its full potential. That doesn't seem like a very economical option to me....
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 03EvoVIII
adding the cams and e-manange you just made this a $5k kit that you are still going to NEED the other partes youmentioned to run it to its full potential. That doesn't seem like a very economical option to me....
Not to bust on you to bad, BUT making reliable horespower is not cheap.

If you cant afford this route then what do you suggest.

Last edited by timzcat; Jul 28, 2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by newevo8
AMS,

This would be my suggestion for your 450 whp kit:

Put together the turbo, header, exhaust, cams, greddy ecu as a kit.

Accessories would be greddy e-01, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure riser, etc etc at a discounted price provided these are purchase at the time of sale with the kit.

Just one suggestion and it would be nice to see others jump in there with me and help me out.

Thanks AMS
That sounds like a pretty good idea.
At this point I think that the kit will include the following parts.

-AMS Header
-GT Series Turbo
-Oil lines, water lines, gaskets and bolts
-Stainless O2 housing and downpipe
-Lower Intercooler piping
-Intake Pipe

The pre-mapped e-manage, fuel pump, and injectors will be available at
a discounted price with the purchase of the turbo kit. A fuel pressure riser
probably will not be needed, as the factory FPR is a rising rate unit.

And the price of the kit will be around $4000

-kris
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh to answer the exhaust question, I think it should be flanged, etc for a cat. Not everyone wants to take the cat off or would like to run a hi-flow cat. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle to run around illegal like that. Just my .02
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

what about safc2 users.. will they get instructions on how to set them up?..

do u have to get an ignition timing controller if u only have an safc2?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AMS
Don't worry, I already have that book and many others. This motor is not a NA Formula 1 engine, but a turbo motor so it is not as critical to have equal length headers. You can more than make up for the difference by running 1 more psi of boost. If you look in our fabrication section http://www.automotosports.com/service_fab.asp
you can see a header we developed. I'm just in the process of dyno tuning the car (Eagle Talon) running that header, 610whp at 23psi of boost. I've worked with log style, tubular, and cast manifolds of many types and I very familiar with how they react in turbocharged applications. I will continue to do what I've been doing so far, dyno testing and backing my results up with track times/speed. I won't release a product that doesn't work, I just won't do that. I look forward to producing some stunning results with our turbo kit.

BTW the test turbo is a Garrett GT32 turbo

Regards,

Martin

Not to bust on you here, but if you said this car will have everything needed to install, but put down around 450hp, then why doesn't it come with upgraded injectors. I would hate to see the duty cycle of the stock injectors when this goes full boost and they try to keep up. Right now it stands that larger injectors are only recommended, right? How long do you think it will be after someone puts this on their car with the stock injectors that they have failure and then.....well.it gets really lean really quick......hopefully not that quick, though. I just don't think they should be a recommendation, I think supporting fuel mods should all be included with this kit for $4,000. Even GReddy turbo kits for cars come with injector upgrades AND a FMIC. They cost about the same. I know you guys are making this pretty much from scratch, but really......supporting fuel mods, please.

Just my opinion.

Josh
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

Not to bust on you here, but if you said this car will have everything needed to install, but put down around 450hp, then why doesn't it come with upgraded injectors. I would hate to see the duty cycle of the stock injectors when this goes full boost and they try to keep up. Right now it stands that larger injectors are only recommended, right? How long do you think it will be after someone puts this on their car with the stock injectors that they have failure and then.....well.it gets really lean really quick......hopefully not that quick, though. I just don't think they should be a recommendation, I think supporting fuel mods should all be included with this kit for $4,000. Even GReddy turbo kits for cars come with injector upgrades AND a FMIC. They cost about the same. I know you guys are making this pretty much from scratch, but really......supporting fuel mods, please.

Just my opinion.

Josh
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

90gsx-03evo,

Thats what we are trying to get to . what should be in the kit and why. good question?

Should the ecu and injectors be a part of the kit? I would like to think so.

But I also beleive that these people should get paid for their knowledge and R&D. Dont you. Also being and EVO 8 not 7 there are different requirement because of our fabulous gov't.

So 5k for a kit would be a nice starting price. provided we can get the cams and fmic at a nice discount.

my 2 pennies
Old Jul 25, 2003, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by newevo8
90gsx-03evo,

Thats what we are trying to get to . what should be in the kit and why. good question?

Should the ecu and injectors be a part of the kit? I would like to think so.

But I also beleive that these people should get paid for their knowledge and R&D. Dont you. Also being and EVO 8 not 7 there are different requirement because of our fabulous gov't.

So 5k for a kit would be a nice starting price. provided we can get the cams and fmic at a nice discount.

my 2 pennies

I'd say that fuel mods should take a large priority. I think the largest HP gains are going to be with setups that incorporate some type of standalone instead of a AFC or other piggyback. Those two are obvious, as it the turbo and manifold. I like the idea that AMS is taking the bull by the horns with this kit and that they are so advanced in the build up stages already with this car, though. It is nice to see a company step to the plate and do something as radical as this on a car that is only half a year old. I think you guys totally need to be paid for the work you put in to this project. Too bad I am not in the Chicago area, I might try to get you to use my Evo as a test bed for stuff like this.

Anyway, I don't know. I am only trying to help.

Josh
Old Jul 25, 2003, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

Just my opinion.

Josh
What we are tying to accomplish with this kit is an inexpensive alternative to the HK$ 3037 kit, with that kit you get a turbo and install accessories for $5000. It doesn't include any fuel enrichment components, any special deals on supporting mods, or the free and courteous technical support that we try to offer our customers. We feel that for the projected $4000 price tag, our kit will offer the customer more. That is not to say that everything is set in stone at this point, there is always room to grow. I am very excited about the response, both positive and negative that you guys are giving us which is helping us to develop this kit.

-kris
Old Jul 25, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am sure some of you realize the daunting task this is for AMS.
Imagine you have say 100 people who all got there parts from different vendors and went different routes on their mods. Now the want to do a turbo upgrade. In kit form, they may already have this or that or need this or that. Determining exactly what should comprise their kit is very difficult. They know the can't make everyone happy but are trying to make as many people satisified as possible in one pre-determined kit.
I say a big to them for what they are attempting to do.

Quick Reply: AMS EVO8 GT Turbo kit