Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS EVO8 GT Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2003, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be nice to have a re-maped ECU with the kit that will be mapped for the Turbo. Any plan on doing this instead of e-manage? Then you will have a buy this kit get this horsepower. Now that will be a kit.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by boiwunder

What we are tying to accomplish with this kit is an inexpensive alternative to the HK$ 3037 kit, with that kit you get a turbo and install accessories for $5000. It doesn't include any fuel enrichment components, any special deals on supporting mods, or the free and courteous technical support that we try to offer our customers. We feel that for the projected $4000 price tag, our kit will offer the customer more. That is not to say that everything is set in stone at this point, there is always room to grow. I am very excited about the response, both positive and negative that you guys are giving us which is helping us to develop this kit.

-kris
Design two kits. One that is a pretty damn "economical" upgrade and then an all out killer kit. For the all-out kit, price it right at the same with the HKS kit but include all the supporting mods. You will take all of their sales due to the completeness of your kit versus the lack of parts in theirs. Honestly, If someone has 4 grand to throw on a $30,000 car that is still under warranty, then they have another 1 grand to spend and do it the right way the first time.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Josh
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

How does the AMS turbo included in the kit flow compared to a T61 (a pretty common turbo for the DSM 11 second cars). I know the T61 is laggy, but I'm willing to give up a little responsiveness for mid to low 11's. Also, how much would you charge to put this kit on? I live in Indy and would be willing to make the trek for the kit and the install when the kit is ready for production! After all, someone needs to put Al in his place....
Old Jul 25, 2003, 07:43 PM
Account Disabled

If I am correct...by all technical specs...these are the best Turbo's money can buy! They are Garret GT models...the smallest of the 3 options is 11sec material
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:04 PM
In Timeout

i called AMS earlier and i just need this confirmed again by ams .... to sum it up.... this turbo will spool faster and produce the same power as the hks 3037.... correct me if im wrong please
Old Jul 28, 2003, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
First, I like how a lot of people read a book or two on turbocharging, and then pontificate on exhaust manifold design to a mechanical engineer.

Second, as the kit is described, it's almost perfect. It allows people to choose what kind of supporting mods they want and computer tuning. There are multiple injector options, some people like Vishnu--others Greddy E-mange, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

One question for AMS. You mentioned that you expect people to have upgraded cams by the time they get the turbo kit. My question is, which set up will be best for this turbo (264's vs. 272's)?
Old Jul 29, 2003, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

HKS 272's or our New Cams which are hopefully going to be out within the next two months would be my recommendation, that's if you can handle the rowdy idle.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

WELL,

Here is the big question. How much time to install for the avg. mechanic ?
How much money to have you install the kit ?

Just the turbo kit?
will you offer the e-manage with the programing ?

What is the difference between your cams and the hks 272?

Are the cams being taylored for the turbo upgrade kit?

Do you plan to offer an installation price with the purchase of your turbo upgrade kit?
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 grand for this?

-AMS Header
-GT Series Turbo
-Oil lines, water lines, gaskets and bolts
-Stainless O2 housing and downpipe
-Lower Intercooler piping
-Intake Pipe

Seems quite steep for as little as your getting... maybe a set of larger injectors too.. IMO
Old Aug 8, 2003, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ChillinEvolved
i called AMS earlier and i just need this confirmed again by ams .... to sum it up.... this turbo will spool faster and produce the same power as the hks 3037.... correct me if im wrong please
Dammit

I just bought the HKS 3037S Kit.

Oh btw does the ams kit come with a racing wastegate?

Ben
Old Sep 2, 2003, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Ams,
Did you say that you were going with an external wastegate?
That's what I would like to see included in the kit.