Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spool: Evo 9 stock turbo vs FPgreen

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And are we talking 4th gear here?

I think my friend is hitting 2 bar at 4k rpm on the road with his Green. I'll have to double check with him and he can post a log. Have you noticed if your Mustang dyno causes the car to spool any differently than the road?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
And are we talking 4th gear here?

I think my friend is hitting 2 bar at 4k rpm on the road with his Green. I'll have to double check with him and he can post a log. Have you noticed if your Mustang dyno causes the car to spool any differently than the road?
If you bother to read Bryan's post, he clearly states what gear the dyno pulls were done at.
I tell you what, it's doesn't make sense to dyno an evo in 4th gear unless you have a good sized turbo and need to have better resolution for tuning...

Also, even the pulls were done on a load bearing dyno, which simulates the real (on the street) load conditions very well, it is still very likely for the car to spool even faster when you drive it on the street.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

How well does transient boost response and boost recovery (such as after a gearchange) of the FPGreen compare to the IX?

These are things you won't see on a boost vs rpm plot. Good data though, very interesting Bryan.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are the cams degreed the same on both cars? Is WG preload identical on both turbos? And are the DV/BOV´s the same?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by homiusang
If you bother to read Bryan's post...
Calm down buddy...

Originally Posted by homiusang
Also, even the pulls were done on a load bearing dyno, which simulates the real (on the street) load conditions very well, it is still very likely for the car to spool even faster when you drive it on the street.
Do you have any evidence whatsover to back up this claim that a car will spool faster on the road then on the mustang dyno?

Seeing this test on different cars leaves too many variables IMHO. Would like to see this on the same car, same day, same dyno.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whoang40
do a comparison with race gas. The green will make bigger numbers.
He isn't talking about numbers he is just reffering to te spool up.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Are the cams degreed the same on both cars? Is WG preload identical on both turbos? And are the DV/BOV´s the same?
That would be part of setting a Evo up properly wouldn't it? Preload can also differ between two different turbos for the "same results". It's almost like tuning these cars properly can make them better eh?

That said, I have seen large spool gains from preloading the Evo 9 turbo stock OEM actuator correctly. You just have to know when too much is too much. Both these Evo's have FP actuators as stated in the first post.

Both run stock Evo 9 BOV's.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Now I'm seriously considering doing the green turbo. You suck Razor
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
That would be part of setting a Evo up properly wouldn't it?
So you degreed the cams with a degree wheel and dial guage? If so what adjustments did you have to make to bring them to spec of the cam manufacturer?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Sorry, thought he meant cam gear adjustments.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

awesome data and amazing turbo
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Great info that is so useful.

i have a 05 MR and I have had the stock turbo for about 10k miles then went to the IX turbo for about another 5k miles and now im 1k miles into the FP Green. IT is funny to feel the differance. The spool between the three is very little. One of the thing i love about the FP green is with a Tial VTA the flutter has all but disappeared with the FP green so that is a great thing.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

wow thats impressive, a nice spool up on the green turbo. My buddy is obsessed with this turbo. He wants to get it bad for our EVO VIII's. I understand that you need an install kit if you want to put this on an EVOVIII.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually, I was refering to the cam gear adjustments, and wondering if all cams were set straight up. I just wanted to be reassured that the other variables were held constant. I never doubted your veracity, Razorlab. In fact, kudos on an admirable, splendid comparative analysis! Great info, great tuning, and above all, thanks!

Maybe, the same as CRCain, I'd have prefered using the same car and just swapping turbos for comparison's sake. But, that's just me being picky. However, even then, the ECU retuning needed to optimize the 2 different turbos on the same car would contribute a certain fudge factor.

To me it remains an impressive feat that you can get the Green to spool substantially the same as a stock IX turbo. Again, a great job of dyno tuning! FWIW, I feel that I've really accomplished something when I can get my own Green to spool up ALMOST as well as a Razor tuned Green car.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 27, 2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Duh!
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 9sec9
Razorlab, I'm anxiously awaiting the spool difference on race gas. I'm curious how much of the quick spool we get is due to the race gas. I'd like to think mostly from tuning and some custom porting, but your results will be interesting. Thanks for the comparisons.

Added: After reviewing my old logs from the Cam swapping sessions, your Green results goes along with what I found on Buschur's Dyno.
Posted by me on Jan 27: "With this said, I'll also say that one of the JUN pulls actually put down 513 wtq and 443 whp. HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTS. The 513 wtq is absolutely documented and was made at 3740 RPMS with FULL BOOST at 3600. NO BS." and I observed and logged maximum torque at 3687rpms on one of the pulls.

I've posted the above info for spoolup comparisons NOT for power numbers. The Green showed FULL BOOST at 3600 based on logs.

The examples on this thread are of 3rd. gear Dyno pulls.

The Green will not hit 30 plus psi at 3600 rpms in 3rd gear.