Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cant boost past 10psi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know its been a long time since my last post but i actually changed my i/c piping and intake, spark plugs, reflashed back to stock, checked to see if the actuator rod pin was still connected (some people were telling me that, but they ended up changing their minds about it, but i still checked..lol). still cant boost more than 11psi, i can actually go faster than 4k but boost is pretty much capped at 10-11psi, so i dont push it, to be safe. i bought the Works aperture shaft seals but havent put them in yet. i dont know what else to do...
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try something to make me happy! Disconnect your existing boost/vacuum lines from at the compressor discharge nipple and at the wastegate actuator pressure port. Cap off the hose ends which were connected to these two nipples.

Now run a short piece of 4mm hose directly from the compressor discharge nipple to the pressure port on the WGA. This should give you about 10-11 PSI. Now, remove the cotter pin on the end of the actuator rod and pry the rod off from the little pivot arm. Give the adjustable eyelet end about 4 full clockwise rotations, efectively shortening the actuator rod.

Take the car for a WOT run keeping your eye on the boost gauge. You should be boosting higher than 10 PSI. If you are still at 10 PSI, then there is most likely a problem with the flapper valve, such as it separating from its shaft due to failure of the spot welds.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:25 PM

ill try this out on thursday, so if it is a prob with the flapper valve, are you talking about the wga? cause i have no clue what the flapper valve is..
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:43 PM

heres the link for the vacuum lines. Id order this and install first BEFORE you try anything else.If you have any problems with the hook up shoot me a pm and ill help you out.http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/cart/?pn=1632A117
Old Mar 19, 2008, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why did you do all that but not put in stock boost hoses? I don't understand this logic. We've told you what the 10psi problem is...
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

its been a month....this is still an issue???...have you found where the hissing was coming from.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Why did you do all that but not put in stock boost hoses? I don't understand this logic. We've told you what the 10psi problem is...

uh are you referring to me? or the other guy that hijacked my thread? cause i never changed the boost hoses ever. i dont remember you telling me what the problem was exactly though, telling me its the stock pressure for the wga doesnt help much... cause what would that mean to me? buy a new wga? i appreciate everyones help but when some people give vague reasons why my car cant boost past 10-11psi, it doesnt help me much. i never found out where the hissing was coming from but i think it might not have been hissing altogether...

on another note im gonna try out what sparky said.

so if anyone feels irritated, you dont have to reply, im still a noob at this so im just trying my best here. thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2003raptor
uh are you referring to me? or the other guy that hijacked my thread? cause i never changed the boost hoses ever. i dont remember you telling me what the problem was exactly though, telling me its the stock pressure for the wga doesnt help much... cause what would that mean to me? buy a new wga? i appreciate everyones help but when some people give vague reasons why my car cant boost past 10-11psi, it doesnt help me much. i never found out where the hissing was coming from but i think it might not have been hissing altogether...

on another note im gonna try out what sparky said.

so if anyone feels irritated, you dont have to reply, im still a noob at this so im just trying my best here. thanks.
No one is getting irritated, they are only helping you by trying to "simplest things" first. it is potentially a problem with your boost hoses, since you are reading pressure directly off the Waste gate.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Warrtalon, et. al., are on the right track. First off, you should, as they have advised, get a new factory hose assembly from the dealership, install it in the proper manner, as per numerous pics and how-to's on this site and see whether that remedies your low boost condition. Good luck!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

2003raptor,

What BOV are you using?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Mine had this same issue on the stock boost solenoid, no matter what I did with the boost lines... The solenoid was bad. Got an MBC and that fixed the problem.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by dpacific
No one is getting irritated, they are only helping you by trying to "simplest things" first. it is potentially a problem with your boost hoses, since you are reading pressure directly off the Waste gate.
only until recently did someone tell me that, and im not blaming nobody for that, but it just sounded like "your dumb we told you to do that" kinda replies...

Warrtalon, et. al., are on the right track. First off, you should, as they have advised, get a new factory hose assembly from the dealership, install it in the proper manner, as per numerous pics and how-to's on this site and see whether that remedies your low boost condition. Good luck!
i understand about the boost hoses because tk2481 told me, and i have ordered them. if this doesnt fix the problem ill do as you told me in your previous post

2003raptor,

What BOV are you using?
the stock 8 bov

Mine had this same issue on the stock boost solenoid, no matter what I did with the boost lines... The solenoid was bad. Got an MBC and that fixed the problem.
thanks, if all else fails ill get a ebc or mbc.

thank you to all for your help.