Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SAFC2 - lets share knowledge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2003, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SAFC2 - lets share knowledge

Hi people,

I've bought and installed a SAFC2. I've found that there are lots more questions about these units than answers. I would like to keep this forum going so people can ask questions and get answers from those who know.

I would probably not want to concentrate in sharing fuel correction settings since that's a dangerous thing to do. not all settings are good for all cars and there are simply too many variables to compensate.

I would like to see in the discussion what settings people have used for their vehicle and what they've experienced. For instance I found that I had to use the 2 Cyl, arrow up setting for my engine selection. Even so, the rpm of the tach do not match the rpm reported by the SAFC2. Mine varies 100-250 or so rpm depending on the speed. Is this a bad thing? How will this impact the work that the SAFC is doing?

Also, the SAFC2 has lots of functions that nobody yet has explained to me. I think it even has some sort of data logging but I dont know how to initialize it or use it. Like wise the alarms feature... How do you set it? what does it do? does it make noise?

I might be wrong but there might also be some sort of boost gauge or boost history that it can record or show... If so, how does it work?

I've managed to install and program mine as far as I can. I can use most of the monitor settings as far as rpm, TPS and correction. The other things are still somewhat misterious.

I'd like see answers and more questions. It would be totally cool if some of the vendors and tuners would share some of this knowledge (if they have it). After all, we buy these things from them and it would be nice to have some support. Lets not forget that many of us have nothing but the SAFC2, a couple of xerox sheets with settings and a wiring diagram... The 3 voluminous pamphets that come from the factory are all in Japanese....

Anyway, here it is. Please contribute as you can or wish... I'll appreciate it
Old Jul 29, 2003, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck

Sup,

My settings: Knock sensor = karman, cyl = 4 cyl, and arrow up.

Superz installed mine....Everything works great.... RPM is perfect and even the knock sensor works great... You can ask me what you need to know about the settings.....
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Re: good luck

Originally posted by loudogz
Sup,

My settings: Knock sensor = karman, cyl = 4 cyl, and arrow up.

Superz installed mine....Everything works great.... RPM is perfect and even the knock sensor works great... You can ask me what you need to know about the settings.....
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I wonder why the rpms match better in some than in others?

I don't have a Knock sensor setting. Mine are
Air sensor=Karman
cyl= 4, arrow up
Old Jul 30, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Good news

The English user manuals and wiring diagrams for the SAFC2 have been posted by Apex-i in their website: http://www.apexi-usa.com/documentation.asp
You'll probably need to upload Acrobat 6 or the Japanese language support package, but once you do it you are home free!

The instructions are pretty good and clear. It should be a great help for those of us who did not get the English version of the instructions....

I'll be happy to help people who get this unit. Just PM me or post your questions
Old Aug 8, 2003, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

I am selling the S-AFC II with English manual and I have the regular (silver case-blue face) and the limited edition (black on black !) in stock !
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:52 PM

i have injen intake, 3inch turbo back, boost controller set to 20lb, 750cc fuel, and a SAFC2 to tune it. but the car feels realli unstable, and slow. is there anyone who have almost the same mod as my?? how should i set the settings on the SAFC?? please help.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:56 PM

^^^Your injectors are too big. You'll make power with those injectors, but you will make more stable power with some Denso 660cc injectors. Might want to PM vboy425 (C-Spec) or Scot Gray on socal evo
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SilverEvo8 guy, we have an entire SAFC sub-forum. Did you just miss it? We have lots of info there, but it's dead now because of EcuFlash. There simply is no reason to use the SAFC anymore, and you really shouldn't waste your time trying to learn how to use it when you could spend your time learning EcuFlash, which is about 100X better and is completely free other than the flashing cable...

We've had the wiring diagrams and instructions/tutorials posted for years on the VIIIs...

How to: Install an AFC-II in an EVO 8
S-AFC/S-AFCII tuning guide.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

If your RPMs are off by the same amount across the entire scale, it's not the AFC that is off, but your tach. With DSMs it was common to be off by as much as 300 rpm. My EVO tach is right on with DSMlink and AEM, so I figured they got the QC back in control for these units, but maybe I just got lucky.

Edit> FWIW, 750s aren't too big for EVOs and AFCs as far as I can tell. They were for DSMs, but you have to remember that the correction factor is a function of not only the new injector size, but also the old injector size. Since EVO injectors are larger, you need less correction for those 750s. For example, a DSM with stock 450 injectors would have to compensate by -40%. The AFC only has +- 50% range! You wouldn't even be able to lean out to 11:1 on pump gas, never mind 12+ on race gas. With an EVO however, 750s require only 23% correction. Very doable with the AFC, Comparable to running 580s on a DSM. Since more correction will still give you more timing ****ery, I highly recomend using the smallest injector that will still support your turbo's max airflow. This can be calculated using total injector flow rate, fuel pressure, fuel specific gravity, and target AFR, among other constants. With the stock turbo, there is very little needed in the way of injectors, 650s with a correction of only 11% will be plenty. At 43 psi base, typical pump gas, and a target AFR of 11:1, 650s will support 48 lbs/min (comparable to new FP/BR bolt on, nearly enough for a 50 trim) and 750s will support 55 lbs/min (just enough for a 3076), as reference points.

Last edited by kjewer1; Oct 23, 2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6961.0

socalevo likes safc2 we can tell you all about it.