Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

SAFC II Should i get?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAFC II Should i get?

Ok, I have the RRM FMI Turbo. I was wondering if i get the safc II will i see some gains. I was going to get it installed and Dyno tuned at AMS. But ive been reading the board and i see that there is alot of debate about the SAFC. I like it because i can mod more and get it re tuned unlike the piggyback. Also if i get injectors and the SAFC II will i see gains? Last question what is the difference between the SAFC II and SAFC.
thanks
Nick
Also what are every ones thoughts on AEM system and the greddy Emanage.
thanks agian
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You're not going to get much first hand feedback on the AEM EMS, but I'll give you the same warning I give everyone about standalone engine management. Know what you're getting into.

Expect a lot of downtime. Be it while you work on the car or while it's a certified shop.

Don't bother if you don't know a good deal about your car and at least have some experience with EFI and engine management.

Don't bother if you don't have a lot of money to pay shops to tune for you in the case that you don't know enough to do it yourself.

Be prepared to read. A lot. A whole ****ing lot. You'll probably spend more time doing research than you will actually tuning.

As for E-manage it seems to be a very capable little unit. It offers more precise tuning increments than the S-AFC and allows for the addition of extra injectors, larger injectors, pressure sensor, aftermarket ignition and one or two other things. The downside is that the cost of these options adds up. With all the accessories a fully loaded E-manage runs around $1,000...which is very close to the cost of standalone engine management with less than a fraction of the features (which is both good and bad).

I don't have first hand experience with the E-manage, but presumably it's easier than standalone as it has far less features. I can't comment on interface or anything, but the stock ECU still has control over most functions which means a lot more is out of your hands (both good and bad again). For your wants/needs you'd probably be best off with the E-manage of those mentioned. Good luck.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't waste your money on the SAFC... either go emanage or use the AEM.

Like hobie said though if you don't know what your doing make sure you take it to someone who does and be prepared to pay.

You could always go with RRM's stage 2 and be happy then i'm sure later they will develope the kit even more and you can get a map and parts for better. They first have to get their drag car back together though

Good things come to those who wait and more money is spent pioneering than just being patient.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer
Good things come to those who wait and more money is spent pioneering than just being patient.
Tell me about it.

There's something to be said for it, but expect to run into snags. Lots of them.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

i have an safc-2 and i got .2 in the 1/4 with it. i have done min adjustments with it and when i get my cams i expect i will be able to tune out the wazooo. i am happy with mine i'd say get an safc-2 cuz its easy to work on and it can do more than u willl need it to. if you need more than it can handle then get a stand alone. the safc has adjustable rpm levels for settings i e at 1200 rpms this much gas, this much air; 1500 this much and so on. our car uses only up to 6000 rpms and i have a point at ever 400 rpms and some are closer than that. the revlimiter kicks in at 62000 so i am pure.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Place near me charges $125 an hour for them to tune your car. If I have an SAFC, how long would it take to tune it? And is that a good price?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

most shops say 3 hours and i did mine in 2 at the track. i dont care how much hp and tq i have its what the fastest combo is that i want.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

On an NA car you can get the AFC's to work but on turbo you won't get it working properly after 1 psi. But go ahead and do it... it'll be nice seeing you try to sell it later.

Remember the AFC only works in the realm of the stock ecu... the stock ecu does not see boost!! Thus the AFC works in all vacuum ranges. On an NA car it works as you can't get past 0vac/press.

Good luck on whatever you do
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

so the s-afc can add fuel if the car is still N/A ?? i thought it didn't work regardless... sorryt o bring this post back up lol