Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Will a 65mm throttle body help any?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI pulling the intake manifold is a PITA.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
FYI pulling the intake manifold is a PITA.
Yeah, I'm sure it is, but hell I'm already on a steep learning curve. I installed my BC272 cams last weekend & pulled my manifold & hotside off the other day. The next project is going to be installing the ACT HDSS clutch & swapping the intake manifold out. Idon't doubt it being a PITA, but I'm sure I can do it. The car is down for a coupple more weeks, so I dont have to be rushed.

By the way I am looking at the MIL.SPEC 65mm throttle body since it seems to be the best value & quality by far.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porting the intake manifold yourself is no big deal. A die grinder and and some good measurments and anyone can do it. Just make sure to do the gasket as well. It is not rocket science. Simple port matching. A $40 porting kit with a variety of sanding wheels and grinders is a good investment. This way you can take off the majority of the material with the grinder and polish it to a perfect finish with the sanding and buffing wheels.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTech
Porting the intake manifold yourself is no big deal. A die grinder and and some good measurments and anyone can do it. Just make sure to do the gasket as well. It is not rocket science. Simple port matching. A $40 porting kit with a variety of sanding wheels and grinders is a good investment. This way you can take off the majority of the material with the grinder and polish it to a perfect finish with the sanding and buffing wheels.
I just don't trust myself enough to try it & the cost to have it ported by someone that knows what they are doing is not bad.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by lemmonhead
buschur all the way man, get his TB and ported intake.
this is my next mod after the LICP.
but dont forget to up the boost after doing it, otherwise whats the point.
Buschur is a great company, but I am not sure if they machine the throttle body shaft.

A machined shaft = more flow
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

I ordered my MIL.SPEC 65mm throttle body today. Can't wait, now I gotta go pull mine off the car.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is a oem vs 65mm tb compare i did a while back on my car when i had a tme turbo, hks 272in/264 exh + all other supporting mods.....car never left the dyno, run was ~20 minutes apart & conducted in front of ~25 socalevo members @ a local dyno day.

this test was conducted with a ported oem mani.

1 big quality that isnt seen within this dyno sheeet is the gain in transient response! It's amazing. The engine now feels connected to your foot

With the oem tb, you have to squeeze the throttle a bit more, then the power comes to you & you let off a little. Now when you apply the throttle with the MIL.SPEC 65mm unit, you get this immediate response from the engine.

It's kinda like pressing down on a soap dispenser, the more you press, the more you get!!

Sorry for not providing a better scan/.jpg. Here are the max whp/tq numbers
65mm 363.08whp / 363.98tq
60mm 354.56whp / 360.33tq
Old Mar 7, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

^Aby were most of the gains from the TB down low in the RPM range or what? I will most likely be getting one in the near future. Im still lovn' the cams BTW too.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
+1 on response. I drove my friend's car that had just TBE, tune, and intercooler pipe kit with the 65mm TB and the damn thing responses super quick. Seems like spool time was cut down some to. I compared his car to mine with the same mods minus the TB, and his car was just a better responding machine than mine. It's even apparent from just listening to the two cars take off that his car has less lag and better response to throttle.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
^Aby were most of the gains from the TB down low in the RPM range or what? I will most likely be getting one in the near future. Im still lovn' the cams BTW too.
The gains are everywhere, they are there between 3,500 & 7,500!! You really dont see them in this graph, as its a bit choppy & close together due to the hp scaling.

The power is just elevated the moment you step on the gas but not to the extent of adding a MISL.SPEC 100 cell cat vs. any typical hi-flow cat...as you get more!!

I really wanted to try that cam set-up....I think that is a good alternative to other cam grinds out there. Glad you like them

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Mar 7, 2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Here is a oem vs 65mm tb compare i did a while back on my car when i had a tme turbo, hks 272in/264 exh + all other supporting mods.....car never left the dyno, run was ~20 minutes apart & conducted in front of ~25 socalevo members @ a local dyno day.

this test was conducted with a ported oem mani.

1 big quality that isnt seen within this dyno sheeet is the gain in transient response! It's amazing. The engine now feels connected to your foot

With the oem tb, you have to squeeze the throttle a bit more, then the power comes to you & you let off a little. Now when you apply the throttle with the MIL.SPEC 65mm unit, you get this immediate response from the engine.

It's kinda like pressing down on a soap dispenser, the more you press, the more you get!!

Sorry for not providing a better scan/.jpg. Here are the max whp/tq numbers
65mm 363.08whp / 363.98tq
60mm 354.56whp / 360.33tq

I can REALLY vouch for this !! I have the stock ported intake mani and WOT 65mm TB .. and all I can say is WOW.. My pedal felt like an AUTOMATIC on and off switch after the install!! It was like NIGHT AND DAY! My car did not feel torque at all prior to the intake mani and tb install.. after the install it just felt like the pedal was sooo much more responsive. I love this setup! It was pretty much the only thing that I hadn't upgraded in the engine bay and it for SURE makes a huge difference through the whole power band! A++
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

^ Right On!! I am glad you can express your sensations / real world 3rd party experience of what MIL.SPEC products can offer....

when i went through my development of the 65mm tb & mani, i thought...eeeh, its ok, but when i put the oem tb back on, prior to driving over to the dyno, i was thinking "it feels like i am stepping in a pile of dog $hit" when i pressed on the gas pedal!! I stepped down, it felt mushy & then the car went...

I was so glad to see the dyno results & have my 65mm tb back in the car It made me realize the gains after having the oem tb back in the car.

Thanks for your support!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

^ Right On!! I am glad you can express your sensations / real world 3rd party experience of what MIL.SPEC products can offer....

when i went through my development of the 65mm tb & mani, i thought...eeeh, its ok, but when i put the oem tb back on, prior to driving over to the dyno, i was thinking "it feels like i am stepping in a pile of dog $hit" when i pressed on the gas pedal!! I stepped down, it felt mushy & then the car went...

I was so glad to see the dyno results & have my 65mm tb back in the car It made me realize the gains after having the oem tb back in the car.

Thanks for your support!
Dude. I would NEVER put the stock TB on after feeling the response from your TB! It would feel like a pile of dog **** hahaha. thanks for the great product and keep up the great work !
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
DYNO COMPARE: 65mm TB/Ported IM vs. OEM TB/Ported IM

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A TOTALLY ACCURATE COMPARISON, AS THE INTAKE MANIFOLD WAS PORTED. GOING FROM A STOCK TB & IM WILL RESULT IN MORE PRONOUNCED GAINS!

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Mar 8, 2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Im running catless BTW too...

The gains are everywhere, they are there between 3,500 & 7,500!! You really dont see them in this graph, as its a bit choppy & close together due to the hp scaling.

The power is just elevated the moment you step on the gas but not to the extent of adding a MISL.SPEC 100 cell cat vs. any typical hi-flow cat...as you get more!!

I really wanted to try that cam set-up....I think that is a good alternative to other cam grinds out there. Glad you like them