Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Im getting sick of asking for help but i could use some.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Im getting sick of asking for help but i could use some.

I have a 2005 Evo VIII and had a problem with the transmission last night. For transmission mods, the car has a Exedy Twin Plate clutch and a short shifter. Backing out of a parking space last night the transmission kicked the stick out of reverse, and to get out of the space i had to slam it into the reverse gate. The other gears were working fine. I brought the car home and left it until today. When i started it today i couldnt get it to slide into any of the gates, 1st through reverse. After about 30 seconds of it running the gears started sliding in, but as soon as i moved the car it got stiff again and i was lucky to get it back into first gear to get it back to where it was parked.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

mac
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mac11wildcat
I have a 2005 Evo VIII and had a problem with the transmission last night. For transmission mods, the car has a Exedy Twin Plate clutch and a short shifter. Backing out of a parking space last night the transmission kicked the stick out of reverse, and to get out of the space i had to slam it into the reverse gate. The other gears were working fine. I brought the car home and left it until today. When i started it today i couldnt get it to slide into any of the gates, 1st through reverse. After about 30 seconds of it running the gears started sliding in, but as soon as i moved the car it got stiff again and i was lucky to get it back into first gear to get it back to where it was parked.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

mac
ugh thats a sticky one seems like it might be service time?!?! Perhaps try to contact shepard racing or TRE
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you may have a clutch problem, not a trans problem. Who installed the clutch? And do you have the release point set right?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

someone else suggested the disengage point as well. i just recently bought the car from the original owner but he had all mods done at Pruven Peformance or Dent Racing in MA. Im waiting for a reply from him on details about the clutch. How do i adjust the release point?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

even if the release point isnt set correctly and it goes into reverse or a gear in the first place then throws it out it seems there is another issue there...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

someone else suggested the disengage point as well. i just recently bought the car from the original owner but he had all mods done at Pruven Peformance or Dent Racing in MA. Im waiting for a reply from him on details about the clutch. How do i adjust the release point?
under the dash there is a nut on the operating rod for the master cyclinder... break the nut loose and turn the rod to adjust the release point
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

it doesnt actually take the stick into gear, when its pushed to a gate you can feel that theres something in the way and it grinds often, like im sliding it into a gate without the clutch down.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

it doesnt actually take the stick into gear, when its pushed to a gate you can feel that theres something in the way and it grinds often, like im sliding it into a gate without the clutch down.
o ok guess i took the original description wrong... def a clutch adjustment issue...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

no problem, thanks for your time. thanks guys, ill take a look when i can and let u guys know how it goes. have a good one.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

also the nut under the dash is a 12mm
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

the brake fluid and fluid for the transmission share the same reservoir? and if anyone could take a picture and show me wat to look for at adjust the clutch release point id appreciate it. im new to Evo's and i want to be sure of myself before i do anything. its a little cramped under there and i wanna make sure i have the right nut.

mac