Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

weird engine hiccup help! plz

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird engine hiccup help! plz

hi.. I have a weird problem at WOT. When it reaches around 20psi
the car does a hiccup like it hit a rev limit. And the boost is set at 23 psi
but it never reaches that level. I was thinking its the plastic bov and the spring in it has gone bad. But i'm not sure so i wanted to ask around if someone has had a similar problem. Am i having a boost leak and the bov is letting air out at WOT because it can't withstand the boost?

the mods i have is intake, tbe, MBC set at 23psi. and a tune..

plz help..
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The plastic ones were prone to leak so swap it asap. As far as a hiccup it can range from a lot. How old are your spark plugs?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:59 AM

i have about 30k miles on the car never swaped them out once.. u think the spark plugs are going bad?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly but more than likely not since they're iridium after all. Elaborate on the hiccup phenomenon.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:16 AM

the hiccup is hard to explain but as i go full Throttle the boost climps and around
20 psi it does a hiccup like i let go of the throttle than it starts to stutter(?) it starts to have a hard time accelerating after the hiccup..but only the hiccup and stutter is only at high boost level so i m thinking it has to do with PLASTIC BOV. but i could be wrong
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

Change the BOV. My Advice.. dont get the IX JDM ones.. ull have different problems with those.. i have those on i dont even wanna start with my troubles!

I would advise APS.. they are good.

If that does the trick, then good. If not.. check for boost leaks.. the reason u are hittin a WALL everytime is coz of leaks. Leaks make the turbo work upto what ur car or MBC is set to.. so i think a leak is making ur turbo overdo its job n there u hit the hiccup..

Let us know!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

same thing that happened to me and my friend.....we would hiccup right around full boost... its either your spark plugs are bad ( or if your plugs are fairly new.. they might not be gapped right ) orrrr your somehow hitting boost cut....

what we did to test this is we lowered out boost to around 18... if it works fine at 18 psi... then i would check your plugs first

if you tune your car with ECUflash... there is a option on there wherer you can raise your stock boost limits... to eliminate the boost cut issue...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 06:48 AM
Former Sponsor

David brought the car over last night, a quick visual inspection showed the BOV was installed backwards, and the vacuum line on the bottom of the intake pipe was not plugged (it had fallen off).

this eliminated the studder/hickup he is talking about, but the boost was still only at 20psi, and making a lot of noise like it was trying to boost more. a quick boost leak check and we found a massive hole on the stock upper intercooler pipe rubber connecter right in front of the radiator fan. apparently the fan had worn a hole though the rubber. we are sourcing a rubber hose now, as i was all out of them.