Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the difference? (RMR vs. RRE Stealth)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference? (RMR vs. RRE Stealth)

RMR:
http://www.rmrproducts.com/store/pc/...6&idproduct=96

Looks exactly like RRE Stealth on the outside:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=27183.0

What's the difference? Only difference I see is the RMR is stainless where as the RRE is not. Also, I do not know if the resonators of the RMR are louvered or perforated nor do I know if the RMR uses a magnaflow exhaust or something else.

I'm looking for an exhaust that is 3in TB all the way through with a test pipe and as quiet as the RRE Stealth but Stainless to resist rusting up here in the NorthEast.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
For what you are looking for then Cobb is your answer.

I had the RRE, Cobb (selling locally only for now), and Tanabe Madalian.

RRE: Wide body muffler, 2 resonators (1 small, other long maybe 18-20 inches)
Cobb: Wide body muffler 1 small resonator
Tanabe Madalion: Widebody muffler and 1 resonator (but tapers down inside the muffler)

The Cobb is a stainless steel exhaust. Some people had problems with the resonator weld splitting. My resonator weld cracked so I had a muffler shop weld it up and its been holding fine. Cobb exhaust is a full 3" setup with no tapers. It is pretty much the same loudness as the RRE stealth. The RRE muffler was longer than the cobb's muffler, but the cobb was much wider.

I will tell you this, with a 3" downpipe no catalytic, they (RRE & Cobb) are louder than stock. Normal driving its ok, but a hell of a lot quieter than all 3" non tapering exhausts out there. They also do not drone and police friendly. When you go WOT it does open up but not enough to let the cops know your comming a mile down the road. When it comes to cars I want pure silence thats why I am not running them on my car any more and have what you see in my sig.

The Tanabe tapers inside the muffler down to around 2.7 inches. As a catback with stock downpipe and cat it was very quiet, similar to stock. But after putting a test pipe on, it became louder than the RRE or COBB as a full turbo back with no cat.

The RMR looks to have a round muffler. Round mufflers in most cases do not quiet down as much as widebody simply because the widebody mufflers have more space to muffle and sound deadoning material. And if the round body muffler is quiet than most likely it tapers some place inside the muffler.

I just wish that they came with V band Clamp flanges. Two bolt clamps sometimes dont seal well and you get exhaust leaks.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

dude i think the RRE pipe is stainless too. they just painted it black. And lol are you serious? You can't see the obvious difference in the size of the giant rmr tip? The RRE stealth has a tip smaller than your stocker and painted black for added stealth
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sxhawnn
dude i think the RRE pipe is stainless too. they just painted it black. And lol are you serious? You can't see the obvious difference in the size of the giant rmr tip? The RRE stealth has a tip smaller than your stocker and painted black for added stealth

No it is not stainless steel. I think they use mild steel for there exhaust. On my RRE the outer part was rust free because it was painted and I touched up another coating on top as well when I bought it from a member. But when I looked inside I could see surface rust on the metal. And no it was not carbon build up, but it was not that bad like the stock exhaust rusts.

I'm not sure if they do make a stainless steel exhaust, but from what I know they make the stealth from non SS .
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

The tip means little to nothing to me, the sounds is what I am concerned about.

BlueEVOIX, thanks for your help. Do u have your used Cobb Cat back for sale? hehe. If they are only avail. locally, why are they listed on their website?

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3430

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bster13
The tip means little to nothing to me, the sounds is what I am concerned about.

BlueEVOIX, thanks for your help. Do u have your used Cobb Cat back for sale? hehe. If they are only avail. locally, why are they listed on their website?

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3430

Thanks!
LOL

I still have the Cobb catback, but for now I'm selling it locally. If no one gets it local I'll offer to ship it. If you buy it new from cobb they do ship it but charge you shipping price. Best would be to get it from a vendor here who sells cobb exhausts because they sometimes have deals for free shipping.

The RRE stealth I think is only sold local because they don carry them in stock but rather custom fit/make one for your car.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Keep me posted BluEVOIX!!!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 01:44 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
So no one has really commented on the RMR... can someone who has used it comment on it's performance? I'm leaning towards it from the soundclips. I can't seem the find the RRE any more, so I was thinking either the RMR or the Tanabe Medalion.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
So no one has really commented on the RMR... can someone who has used it comment on it's performance? I'm leaning towards it from the soundclips. I can't seem the find the RRE any more, so I was thinking either the RMR or the Tanabe Medalion.
I knew this guy who had the RMR catback on his Evo8. Though it has two resonators on it, it still featured the round "cannon-ball" muffler type. It just sounded like any other moderately loud resonated catback for Evo.

I have the Tanabe TOURING Medallion on my car. It has one small resonator and features the oval flat muffler. It's so quiet and doesn't drone at freeway speeds.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 03:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

How much louder than stock do you think it is? And was it a worthy upgrade over stock?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:41 PM

I've got the RRE Stealth. My roommate has the RMR. So I think I can make a decent comparison.

RRE is quieter sounding and also "stocker than stock" looking.

RMR is still quiet compared to most aftermarket exhausts, but louder than the RRE, especially at WOT. I will say the RMR sounds cooler at WOT. My guess is this is probably the difference in muffler shape. The RMR resonators are perforated (not louvered)

Fitment of the RRE was fantastic -- super easy install. Fitment of the RMR was crummy -- it took a lot of work (and a trip to a muffler shop) to get it fit up OK.

If you want one of these so you can avoid the wrong sort of attention, I'd get the RRE Stealth. If you want something slightly quieter than the typical aftermarket stuff, but you still want go-fast boy-racer sounds, and you can tolerate some fitment hassle, get the RMR.

I wouldn't be surprised if RRE can make you a stainless version. The muffler is already stainless, and they sell perforated stainless resonators on their DIY page. It might not be super cheap, but it sounds like that's what you want.

I am probably a bit biased because I have the RRE. RRE people are really great people to deal with.

Last edited by batdorf9; Dec 10, 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added more info to answer OP's questions
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

So is RRE the same as RRM? Company wise?

I think I'm leaning towards RRE. I like Rob from RRM and I like quiet!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
So is RRE the same as RRM? Company wise?

I think I'm leaning towards RRE. I like Rob from RRM and I like quiet!
Just to clarify:

RRE = Road Race Engineering = http://www.roadraceengineering.com

RRM = Road Race Motorsports = http://www.roadracemotorsports.com

RMR = Rhys Millen Racing = http://www.rmrproducts.com
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Right, but isn't RRE and RRM the same company? RRE says RRM is a friend company. Just wondering.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

im running the rre stealth exhaust im quiet happy with it sounds good at wot but not under boost sounds stock but those cosworth 272's are kinda hard 2 hide from the cops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQpr...e=channel_page

Last edited by LANCEREvo9MR; Dec 10, 2008 at 11:16 PM.