Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Leak Test - Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Leak Test - Help

I have been researching the proper way to conduct the boost leak test for the past two days. The reason why I am conducting the test is a few days ago my Evo shut off while driving on boost from third to fourth. I did not miss any of the gears and did not over rev the engine. I was able to restart the car no problem but shortly after that I got the P0030 for a misfire code. I cleared the code out and then the car shut off again. This time followed by a P0011 which has to do with the intake cam angle sensor. That SES was followed by a different sound in the exhaust which sounded like a cross between an exhaust leak and my open wastegate but I was only at 1500 rpms. I also have a blinking/flickering oil light, but I have an oil pressure gauge which reads that I have the normal pressure. The car idles perfectly and shows no symptoms at idle.

After searching I have come up with the following:

Symptoms

Car Shut Off While Driving
P0030
P0011
Engine Noise Level
Flickering Oil Light

Tests

Fuse Check - All fuses are good

Oil Level - Good

Oil Condition - Good

Cam Angle Sensor Position Check - Perfect (Usually is installed incorrectly and will cause the P0011 code)

Cam Angle Sensor - Have a new sensor in the mail to see if the sensor is operational.

Timing - Both cam gears line up with the marks on the cover

Oil Pressure Sensor - Ordered a new pressure sensor switch beacuse I verified that there was the correct oil pressure with my aftermarket gauge.

Boost Leak Test - STOCK IX MR BOV FAILS AT 8 PSI With the recirculation hose removed from the stock oem BOV I could not hold more than 8 psi on the entire system. The test was conducted on the inlet side of the turbo as described on this forum.

I am boosting 25 psi - 26 psi. Is it normal for the stock bov to be leaking that much? Would that cause the problems listed above? In theory that BOV should hold the pressure not leak at 8 psi. What are your thoughts? Do you recommend any further tests before I throw in the towel?

Thanks for all of your help..

Mick
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I would see if the cam sensor fixes the problem first. A friend's Evo in MI had the same issue. Her car would not run and acted as you have described.

Simple fixes first in my book.

Good luck.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I would see if the cam sensor fixes the problem first. A friend's Evo in MI had the same issue. Her car would not run and acted as you have described.

Simple fixes first in my book.

Good luck.

I hope thats the case with me 0 thanks for your input
Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

I could only fill the system with 12 psi. I have an audible leak and I think I have pinpointed it coming from the turbo/exhaust manifold area. I tried using soap and water to find the leak but no luck. Any suggestions? I check the cylinder head for leaks with the soapy water and found nothing. I have a pit in my garage so I can stand underneath the car. I hear it on the passenger side more than the drivers side, but the oil pan is in the way.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

CHeck the two bolts holding the outlet pipe to the turbo. When I had an audible leak that is were it was coming from. The gasket had actually blown out.

Last edited by hempele28; Dec 28, 2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hempele28
CHeck the two bolts holding the outlet pipe to the turbo. When I had an audible leak that is were it was coming from. The gasket had actually blown out.
Out of curosity, did it fix your problem, Mick?