Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

fuel cut? misfiring?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel cut? misfiring?

I just got a BBK turbo, pte 780's injectors, and megan o2 housing installed yesterday. My car was also tuned via ecutek by Works. So on the way home I did a couple pulls and found that when I downshift into 3rd and go full throttle, I'll get up to around 4000 rpm and it's like I hit a brick wall. And the car jerks really bad, it almost feels like when you i/c piping blows off, but worse. So I took the car out this morning and it did the same thing. And it's only happened to me in 3rd gear so far. I don't see how there could be a problem since it was tuned yesterday. All help is appreciated
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
did you look at your spark plugs?

from tuning the car was probably running pig rich initially and fouled your plugs to death
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm very good point. He said he did set it up on the rich side. How can I tell if a plug is fouled?

If I find out my plugs are fouled, can I swap a new set in without getting tuned again?

Last edited by backcountryGSX; Jan 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

bump for help. I'll be driving 600 miles next week so I need to get this sorted out asap.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

You dont need a retune for changing out your plugs.

Do you have a walbro 255 or stock pump?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

walbro 255
Old Jan 7, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

plugs r fouled most likely...take them out, clean them or get new ones, and check the gaps
Old Jan 7, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there still a boost cut limit enabled? Sounds to me that's exactly what it's doing, down to the explanation of "hitting a brick wall". You need a retune bad my friend, and probably not because it's pig rich.

Why are plugs always the first thing that people think of? To me a misfire condition and boost cut feel like 2 totally different things, and I've hit both of them plenty of times before.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Plugs are an easy $8 check that's all. In is a also a good idea since he was just tuned and had probably been running the same plugs for xxxx amount of miles. (in stock pig rich tuning) Most people think a misfire is a brick wall until they get boost cut. Thats a wall! If you have a pump and are only getting this issue in 3rd, it is prob boost cut. Higher gear will produce a greater load, which usually will spike a higher boost. Watch your boost gauge and do a 2nd gear pull, then do it again in 3rd. You'll probably see more boost and then hit your "wall" ...
Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Well it sounds like I have boost cut then. When it happens, it happens very suddenly and I can feel the engine stop and jerk violently. I can't even look at my boost gauge when it's happening because of how fast and surprisingly scary it is when it occurs. When it first happened I thought my motor blew it felt so bad. What I can't understand is why it doesn't happen every time? I haven't been on the stock tune for 2 years, and I had new plugs put in around 5,000 miles ago. But it's possible they got fouled out in the process of tuning with the new turbo.

slo- When you say I need a re-tune bad...well I just had a dyno tune yesterday. To need to get tuned again would be ridiculous, but if that's what needs to be done, so be it.

How would a tuner fix boost cut?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Turn it off in the ecu is how.

Mitch
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Well I can only hope my tuner will re-tune my car for free since it looks like he made a simple mistake. Or else I'll be living off of top ramen for a very long time haha
Old Jan 8, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

So if I'm having a fuel cut, is it because I'm over boosting? I'm only running 23 psi. I'd hate to have to turn the boost down even lower
Old Jan 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by backcountryGSX
So if I'm having a fuel cut, is it because I'm over boosting? I'm only running 23 psi. I'd hate to have to turn the boost down even lower
I wouldn't say you're "overboosting", I'm not too familiar with how Ecutek works, but if it's basically the same as the stock ecu or just a program to modify stock ecu tables like EcuFlash, then because of your mods and higher pressure you're seeing a much higher load percentage than at a slightly lower pressure and with the original equipment. Stock tables on stock roms are usually around 225% load for boost cut, so more than likely they've been raised before and probably just need to be raised higher again. It's not a big deal, my boost cut sits at 310% load right now with my 28psi spike lol.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

To me it sounds like fuel cut.

For you to experience this on the first drive after a tune is WAY strange. They had no issues like this when on the dyno?

For you to describe this and then say "but I haven't been tuned yet" everybody's response would be to get a tune ASAP. You're describing my first WOT pull after swapping in an Evo 9 turbo and AEM intake untuned.

But since you just got tuned I would go back to the place and have them take a test drive or review the mapping. Most places should be cool with that and not charge ya. I think they missed something or maybe when they were taking the car off the dyno and disconnecting sensors they knocked something loose?

Last edited by srcevo8; Jan 8, 2009 at 05:50 PM.