Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kinugawa 20G

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFREYCASTGSX
So its basically a real MHI turbo just modified by some company?
Looks that way. They just open the case, intall a bigger wheel and go. But they're cheaper then we can get a stock new IX turbo here.

BTW, the "<" in your sig is backwards.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said I ordered it and have it with me. I will be buying some cams (GSC S1 or Kelford 272) and depending on the cams choice I will also need springs before I install it. Also I want to port the hotside and manifold before I install. If I get the cams I may do it on during Holy Week since I have a few days off work.

Here are a few pics of what I got. I got it for $840 shipped with the Evo 9 install kit (oil and coolant lines and gaskets). It also came with a 17 PSI actuator, kind of in the middle between the stock (~13PSI) and and high pressure (~22 PSI) actuator. I think I got a good deal. Like the OP says less than a brand new Evo 9 turbo. I think now the price went up to about $1100 plus shippping. This is what I got.

Hotside manifold side.

Compressor. MHI based 20G Wheel. This wheel has a smaller centre pillar than original MHI 20G which improves air-flow efficiency.

O2 housing side. I think this is the same turbine used in the FPGreen. It is bigger than the stocker Evo 9 and has 11 blades as opposed to the stock Evo 9 one which has 12 smaller blades. Hopefully this should help it spool like an FPGreen.

Compressor Close up. FPGreen is a custom 5 blade design. This one is a 20G based wheel which has 6 blades.

What do you guys think???

Last edited by racer135; May 19, 2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 05:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice,it looks very much like a green,identical i could say,keep us posted on the results,good price too

M.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racer135
ompressor. MHI Version 2 20G Wheel
What do you guys think???
FYI, MHI does not make a 20g wheel in reverse rotation.

Originally Posted by 4G63W8
Nice,it looks very much like a green,identical i could say,keep us posted on the results,good price too

M.
Green has a 5 bladed billet wheel, far from identical.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Its not genuine MHI. But the turbo does rock. I have standard rotation version on my evo 1 for five weeks now. converting fuel system to run e85 then I will have some numbers. this is same size turbo Tomie uses, just without the big compressor cover. Very close to green performance if not better. This 20g has the small hub and spools stupid fast. good luck with it.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Mar 7, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
FYI, MHI does not make a 20g wheel in reverse rotation.

Green has a 5 bladed billet wheel, far from identical.
LOL,true,counted wrong,missed one
Old Mar 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Its also advertised as a TD06 and has TD05 stamped on it. I have tuned one and didnt see significant load change at a set boost level which typically indicates its not moving anymore air if there are no other changes.

That sales ad shows a really nasty casting line on the outside of the turbine which shows nothing of it is MHI. Then there is the fact it comes from Taiwan.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Mar 7, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Its also advertised as a TD06 and has TD05 stamped on it. I have tuned one and didnt see significant load change at a set boost level which typically indicates its not moving anymore air if there are no other changes.

That sales ad shows a really nasty casting line on the outside of the turbine which shows nothing of it is MHI. Then there is the fact it comes from Taiwan.
Of course it has TD05 stamped since it is an Evo 9 housing. It has stamped TD05 and 16G6 but it is a TD06 and a 20G. Count the turbine blades. The TD05 has 12 blades this one has 11 and they are bigger. The turbine housing was bored to make it fit. The compressor housing was also bored to make the 20G fit the stock 9 turbo.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subscribed. I'm not sure if any more threads of the Kinugawa exists but if you can post your results here, it would be greatly appreciated. Basically, what I'm able to gather this turbo falls as follows: stock IX, FP Green, and then Kinugawa, right?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
Subscribed. I'm not sure if any more threads of the Kinugawa exists but if you can post your results here, it would be greatly appreciated. Basically, what I'm able to gather this turbo falls as follows: stock IX, FP Green, and then Kinugawa, right?
it would most likely be evo 9, Kinugawa, then green!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIXreno
it would most likely be evo 9, Kinugawa, then green!
Yes. Thats what I think. Evo 9, Kinugawa, Green, BBK Full
The real shocker for me is the price. Lets see how it performs.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer135
Of course it has TD05 stamped since it is an Evo 9 housing. It has stamped TD05 and 16G6 but it is a TD06 and a 20G. Count the turbine blades. The TD05 has 12 blades this one has 11 and they are bigger. The turbine housing was bored to make it fit. The compressor housing was also bored to make the 20G fit the stock 9 turbo.
TD06 is a compressor housing size. Your statement doesnt make sense therefore. I will say this right now that I have seen these lose power over stock. Possibly not this Kinugawa, but the chinese "20G TD06 Evo IX" turbocharger that has been sold in the past.

What is the inlet diameter of the compressor housing (ID) and the turbine outlet?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
TD06 is a compressor housing size. Your statement doesnt make sense therefore. I will say this right now that I have seen these lose power over stock. Possibly not this Kinugawa, but the chinese "20G TD06 Evo IX" turbocharger that has been sold in the past.

What is the inlet diameter of the compressor housing (ID) and the turbine outlet?

Maybe I should have say TD06SL2R. That is the actual turbine wheel assembly. The hotside was bored to make the wheel fit. The turbine outlet diameter (where the turbine wheel is) is 55.6mm (2.189 in) and the compressor housing diameter is 54mm (2.126 in). Those are measured with a caliper so they are aprox figures.

Just out of curiosity. What is the rationale to have a bigger turbo loose power over a smaller turbo?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

The aerodynamics of the compressor wheel. Swinging a 2x4 where you need a leading edge measured in thousandths will affect compressor efficiency and the given heat generated at any given pressure ratio. So if I have 30psi and have a post turbo temp of 300* versus an inefficient compressor and 450*, its obvious that no intercooler will make up that amount of difference and the larger turbo will be down on power.

There is still no MHI wheel that was engineered reverse in a TD06 as has been pointed out. It could say TD06SL2R-G6K 12.5T and it doesnt make it MHI. I am still curious to see if this is decent compared to the older Turbocharger.com TD06 20G Evo IX turbo that has been sold before. Just because its chinese doesnt mean its going to be crap.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:50 PM

hmm... this looks interesting. Can't wait to see how this setup performs, best of luck to you

Quick Reply: Kinugawa 20G