Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

twinscroll/singlescroll TURBO SHOOTOUT -- full-race / VE engineering / vivids dyno

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Philthy748
Kudos to Full-Race for this test - there will always be some haters and people that will not be happy regardless, so keep up the good work!
+1, I dont think using the T3 divided manifold is a notable issue. I mean some people may whine about it but instead of complaining maybe they should hurry over with a open T3 manifold and help with the swaps.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Full-Race Geoff;6682194]just finished installing the .82 a/r T3 singlescroll hta35 on the car, pg 1 updated will dyno tomororw morning[/QUOTE

So did you guys use the single scroll manifold for the test? I asume the original Buschur setup on the car came with the single scroll Shearer mani? Do you still have it laying around or was it sold.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
I have all the logs saved I will post all that up for sure.

And this is not my personal car. This is a friend of mine who was just going to do an upgraded turbo and look what it has become lol. He is a very good sport for letting us do this.

Mitch

yes i spoke to him last night. very cool person in deed

mitch thanks for taking the time to do all the tuning and such.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bolio
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
just finished installing the .82 a/r T3 singlescroll hta35 on the car, pg 1 updated will dyno tomororw morning
So did you guys use the single scroll manifold for the test? I asume the original Buschur setup on the car came with the single scroll Shearer mani? Do you still have it laying around or was it sold.
Page 1 update has pics of original setup. The original manifold looks like a coated cast manifold.

Maybe these quotes will clear it up for you. Running a single scroll turbo on a twin scroll manifold should not affect the results. It looks like Geoff is doing his best to comply with everyone's requests.

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
Hi ron, were not going to try and mimic backpressure to determine which housing to run, we only have so much time so we will test the setups that are considered the "standard" and go from there. .63 a/r is too small and a waste of time imho. the runner dia is another point of debate, as we use a different runner dia for our twinscroll vs singlescroll headers. if people can agree on one methodology, we'll test it this week. if you and dave would rather supply a shearer header/turbo/downpipe for us to test the singlescroll stuff with i would be honored.
Originally Posted by Shearer
The difference in runner sizing is of vital importance IMO and it would be optimal to keep them the same. Especially since a major point of this is to show spool up characteristics.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I'm currently working in Torreon, Mexico and the internet at the office is so dam slow the pics don't ever load.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

great thread, subscribed.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Page 1 update has pics of original setup. The original manifold looks like a coated cast manifold.

Maybe these quotes will clear it up for you. Running a single scroll turbo on a twin scroll manifold should not affect the results. It looks like Geoff is doing his best to comply with everyone's requests.
It appears that the use of the twinscroll manifold on the single scroll turbos is so that runner diameter is mantained and so that the manifold is essentially a constant (different flange is the only change).

However, I seem to remember lots of companies making huge claims about how a true shallow angle merge collector is paramount in making power. A twinscroll manifold does not provide this shallow angle collector. Are we going to see similar results where people initially used the divided turbine housings with undivided manifolds and made claims of the turbos being complete crap.

I also have several books on the topic and at least with regards to flow coefficients and reversion prevention, a shallow angle merge collector is a big deal.

It seems like this test is focusing on optimizing for a twinscroll setup and tossing a single scroll on afterwards?

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Feb 12, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

03whitegsr, maybe it's a catch22. However, I agree with your previous post. I'd rather see 2 optimized setups tested. Of course that would mean another manifold change and more variables which I'm sure the testers would like to avoid. Plus, if Geoff used his T3 single scroll manifold, the claim would be that runner size was not equal. So he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesnt.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There will be variables in every test. As long as you know what they are, you can extrapolate results using any modifier you think reasonable. I do appreciate the testing efforts and look forward to the data.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 04:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
When doing back to back comparisons it is pertinent to change only one variable.
thanks for your input all the test setups will use the same downpipe, same charge pipe, same wastegates, same wg springs, same oil lines, same dumbtubes, etc etc. only change being the turbo. (and its respective flange)

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
It appears that the use of the twinscroll manifold on the single scroll turbos is so that runner diameter is mantained and so that the manifold is essentially a constant... lots of companies making huge claims about how a true shallow angle merge collector is paramount in making power. A twinscroll manifold does not provide this shallow angle collector. Are we going to see similar results where people initially used the divided turbine housings with undivided manifolds and made claims of the turbos being complete crap.
our twinscroll manifolds DEFINITELY have what i would consider a shallow angle merge. Based on my experience, I see nothing wrong with using a divided manifold with undivided hsg (nor does shearer, i think thats the only thing we agree on haha).

undivided manifold + divided hsg = fail
undivided manifold + undivided hsg = pass
divided manifold + undivided hsg = pass
divided manifold + divided hsg = pass

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesnt.
we're doing the best test we can. if anyone else would like to do their own test more properly than us feel free!

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Feb 12, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

They have a shallow angle merge between the two paired cylinders, but it's not really a shallow angle merge collector. I have no idea if it matters or not.

I just seem to remember from a few years back that certain companies were making the claim that their manifolds were superior because they used a "proper" merge collector. The manifolds became the "standard" in a few communities before later being outed in exchange for superior divided manifolds.

I understand that testing undivided T3, divided T3, undivided T4, divided T4 all with fully optimized setups is pretty much impossible with this kind of test. I was just making sure I understood what exactly was being tested.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:45 PM

very interesting. subscribed
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:03 AM

What's with the 45 day wait time for the 91-79? I am all about the BW turbos, but apparently they are very tough to get?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
What's with the 45 day wait time for the 91-79? I am all about the BW turbos, but apparently they are very tough to get?
availability is great for the 90 degree outlet 91-79, but the std outlet turbos sold out too quickly, hence the 35-45day backorder. the hardcore turbo V8 guys are using them for twin turbo apps with great results. the 83-75 with 1.10 a/r is available now and im really liking it

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
They have a shallow angle merge between the two paired cylinders, but it's not really a shallow angle merge collector. I have no idea if it matters or not.I just seem to remember from a few years back that certain companies were making the claim that their manifolds were superior because they used a "proper" merge collector. The manifolds became the "standard" in a few communities before later being outed in exchange for superior divided manifolds. I understand that testing undivided T3, divided T3, undivided T4, divided T4 all with fully optimized setups is pretty much impossible with this kind of test. I was just making sure I understood what exactly was being tested.
back then anything that wasnt a log was innovative. No one used divided turbos properly, and everyone ran small hot sides with big compressors. times change and we are all constantly learning
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

So you feel (or have tested) that the use of an undivided turbo on a divided manifold will not impact performance?

Awesome test by the way. I'm sorry if it looks like I'm taking anything away from the test. I'm just trying to fully understand your test and any implications that may araise from the testing method and assumptions used.

Quick Reply: twinscroll/singlescroll TURBO SHOOTOUT -- full-race / VE engineering / vivids dyno