Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another cruise control install...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another cruise control install...

Just thought I'd post pics. Basically the same Rostra unit that everyone else uses but I opted for the in dash switch. The switch looks pretty bad, but it lights up and is more unobtrusive than the ugly stalks they have. Once I get some time I'll pull the piece off and flush mount it with a dremel in the lower dash. In terms of functionality, it works as advertised... no surging at all. In fact the cruise engagement is so smooth that sometimes you don't realize that it's on when you hit the switch.

Last edited by osunick; Sep 24, 2003 at 01:18 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Have you tried it out??? And how is working good or bad???? And what do you think overall of the performance???
Old Sep 24, 2003, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

I edited the post after I noticed that I didn't say how well it worked. It works great.. no surging at all. Just like factory except when you push the clutch the rpm's hop about 300 rpms and then the cruise disengages. I think it does this because they opted not to put a clutch switch to disengage the cruise. Fine by me. The whole thing cost $329 installed at a local shop in suburban Detroit.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Where do you find that. What web site? Thanks. My Right foot is killing me on the highway.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Do a search for "Rostra Cruise Control" and you should be able to find a store that sells it. Having said that, I don't know if I'd recommend a self-install. I would try calling car audio shops in your area and see if anyone does cruise control. If they do, it's going to be Rostra, they're pretty much the only company out there for aftermarket cruise control.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 04:28 PM

Do you know what your settings are on? I have the same unit, but have been experiencing surge problems on medium load situations, aka, hills, when it gets into boost. I have to initiate some foot action to damp out the surging, or disengage it all together. Anyway, i've been chasing an optimum setup and haven't got it yet.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

I'll take a picture of my dip switch settings and post them.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by nsnguyen
It works great.. no surging at all. Just like factory except when you push the clutch the rpm's hop about 300 rpms and then the cruise disengages. I think it does this because they opted not to put a clutch switch to disengage the cruise. Fine by me. The whole thing cost $329 installed at a local shop in suburban Detroit.
Trust me you have the clutch switch, if you did not, when you pushed in the clutch, the cruise would not release the throttle cable and the car would continue to rev, with a very dangerous potential to surge forward. The hop you speak of is the momentary lapse until the control unit in the engine bay realizes that you've stepped on the clutch and disengages the throttle.

I have the same "hop" but it's much better than the original stalk I had. My installer found that the settings where different between the two stalks that I had installed.

Please post pics when you embed the interior controlls.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

my DIP switch settings...
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by emulous

Trust me you have the clutch switch, if you did not, when you pushed in the clutch, the cruise would not release the throttle cable and the car would continue to rev, with a very dangerous potential to surge forward. The hop you speak of is the momentary lapse until the control unit in the engine bay realizes that you've stepped on the clutch and disengages the throttle.

I have the same "hop" but it's much better than the original stalk I had. My installer found that the settings where different between the two stalks that I had installed.

Please post pics when you embed the interior controlls.
The Rostra does NOT require a clutch switch. When the Rostra control unit sees revs rising without a corresponding rise in vehicle speed it disengages.

Keith
Old May 24, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Are you using vacuum ?