Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shifting when it's cold

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Yes, this is perfectly normal, the Evo VIII/IX trannies are especially notchy and cold weather doesn't help much. I always had a hard time, just give it a few minutes to warm up. If you're trying to get in to a gear before moving (ie 1st or reverse) try slowly letting up on the clutch while pushing the shifter towards the gear.

In order to remedy the "problem" you'll have to put in an entirely new (or rebuilt) tranny. I'd recommend just dealing with it, it's part of Evo ownership.
It seems that it doesnt affect all 5 speed trannies but damn this car and it's driveline issues are driving me nuts. I just rebuilt a blown TC and now I have to deal with a tranny that won't shift when cold. I'm concerned that I may damage the synchros since it seems like I'm pushing on them when trying to force it into gear.

But my remedy for this issue is to start the car in gear and start moving immediately. It seems to be much easier to shift when moving.

Btw what tranny fluid is everyone using who is experiencing this?