Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil gunk on single spark plug.....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil gunk on single spark plug.....

So an update from a few weeks ago with my misfiring problem.....the car is running great now, the guys at TTP took care of me. Now i got another little issue.

I just had my spark plugs replaced last week and just yesterday i had a bad misfire on the way to work. So bad that the car would just vibrate hard when accelerating. I pulled over and checked the plugs, the first 3 were perfectly fine and the last one had oil gunk build up on it. I replaced that one plug and the car runs perfect now. What can cause this, and is it only a matter of time before i get oil build up in there again?

I have 70k on my Evo 8 right now and i had a weapon R catch can on my car for almost 4 years. Is it possible that could be causing a problem? I took the catch can off and put the stock line going back to the intake.

Any input on what i should be looking for? It was only the 4th plug (far right) Has anybody ever had an issue like this?

Thanx
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Do a leak down test and trust the results. If you get air out of the valve cover, I bet it is your rings. It might be valve guides if you get a little puff of blue smoke after letting the car idle a bit.
Drive a day or so, pull the plug and see if there is build up again.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
From what i have read cylinder 4 is the one where people always seem to have issues. Your rings in that cylinder could be bad.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 56Hotrod
Do a leak down test and trust the results. If you get air out of the valve cover, I bet it is your rings. It might be valve guides if you get a little puff of blue smoke after letting the car idle a bit.
Drive a day or so, pull the plug and see if there is build up again.

Ok just a bit a noob here, how exactly do i perform a leak test? I have never done that before. Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pitch the catch can and vent the PVC to the atmosphere.

do a compression test to see if that cylinder is toast, check your intake manifold for oil deposites.

have you ever tried our Wynns's fuel sytem cleaners, ask around the orlando peeps they will tell you the story.
Wynn's fuel cleaner will take care of any crap inside your injectors, in your cylinders, intake valves cleanned, intake manifold, and TB
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
From what i have read cylinder 4 is the one where people always seem to have issues. Your rings in that cylinder could be bad.
how much does a fix like that cost? If that be the case......car still pulls perfectly fine and runs fine. Can it really be something wrong with the cylinder?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShoboatNYC
Ok just a bit a noob here, how exactly do i perform a leak test? I have never done that before. Thanks
It's a more accurate test of a cylinder's integrity. It can check for leaks in valves, piston rings and head gaskets.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot.../leakdown.html
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:03 PM

There is quite a bit of websites on how to do a compression test. Alternatively you could be running extremely rich except that would usually mean it would have a problem with all cylinders.