Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

head gasket oil leak....

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
head gasket oil leak....

i installed ams/tms head studs along with a new oem head gasket, and after a couple months of beating the **** out of it at 33psi i have noticed a small oil leak between the block and head....wtf??? i can insure proper torquing and sequence .... i was thinking of removing the cams and re-torquing the head , but im not sure if thats a waste of time or i should just pull the head and replace the gasket??? any help would be great...
Old May 6, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

if your gonna go through the trouble of removing cams you might as well tear the head off and put a new hg on...
Old May 6, 2009, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

yep oem is good
Old May 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

This is very common with the ARP head stud install IF you used the 1x1 method and did not take the head completely off the first time... If you took the head off, then there must have been user install error of some sort.. maybe you didn't retorque the head studs after heat cycled? Definitely pull the head off and redo the install and use the OEM Head Gasket. Good Luck.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

If it's already leaking then it will do absolutely no good to try to retorque the head to stop it. Take off the head and put on a new headgasket.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8nfs
if your gonna go through the trouble of removing cams you might as well tear the head off and put a new hg on...
true

Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
This is very common with the ARP head stud install IF you used the 1x1 method and did not take the head completely off the first time... If you took the head off, then there must have been user install error of some sort.. maybe you didn't retorque the head studs after heat cycled? Definitely pull the head off and redo the install and use the OEM Head Gasket. Good Luck.
i had the head at the machine shop , so it was off the car. i followed the directions for torque sequence and torque rating... but as far as re-torquing after a heat cycle , i did not...(exactly what do you mean?) as in let the motor warm up then re-torque ??? i will only use a oem gasket (did my research on that the first time) BTW they are ams/tms studs not ARP (not like it really matters all that much...lol) Thanks...

Originally Posted by Bggstin
If it's already leaking then it will do absolutely no good to try to retorque the head to stop it. Take off the head and put on a new headgasket.
i'll pull it on friday....thanks everyone