Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

killed the clutch after 6800...

Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
killed the clutch after 6800...

here are some pics of my clutch etc-

Please note that my front diff was almost empty of fluid from the factory. I am very concerned about this causing premature wear. I have heard of other cars failing to have proper fluid levels on the diff from the factory.

FYI, I was going to get a new clutch anyway with the mods went with new rps ceramic/ hybrid and a 8lb clutchmaster aluminum flywheel.

mmlvmm
Attached Thumbnails killed the clutch after 6800...-xtra-crispy1.jpg  

Last edited by MMLVMM; Oct 7, 2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

xtracrispy

here is another
Attached Thumbnails killed the clutch after 6800...-flywheel1.jpg  
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

crispy cont

another...
Attached Thumbnails killed the clutch after 6800...-xtra-crispy2.jpg  
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

and the replacement...

rps new replacement
Attached Thumbnails killed the clutch after 6800...-new-rps-prototype.jpg  
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

RPS!!!!! Now you just need to wait a little for the segmented billet flywheel to be released and you will have a kick *** setup!!
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:00 PM

My clutch died at 3,600 miles. Dealer said I wore it out. Put in exedy clutch, and every time I lift my foot off the gas it sounds like I am just grinding down my clutch. Took it back to the dealer who has had my car for 2 weeks from the start of all this and they still can't figure out whats wrong. After first repair I drove 5 miles and had to have the car towed back. They forgot to tighten a hose and a cross member. This is really PISSING ME OFF as far as this car goes. Mitsu changed clutchs no charge I had to pay for the part. This is a daily driven car 150 miles plus a day stop and go traffic.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

3600 seriously? I thought I was bad... Check your diff. Mine was not properly topped off with fluid at the factory.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The RPS clutch disk has a interesting design, wonder how long before these rivets start digging into everything.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Smells like burnt toast!! You fried that clutch... How many launches on that thing?? Bad boy.. You gonna play, you gotta pay...
Old Oct 8, 2003, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

lol TOASTED. nice new clutch. I've been trying to kill mine so i can get my stage3 kit
Old Oct 8, 2003, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

nice

my stock clutch went out at ~9k
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by rneo
My clutch died at 3,600 miles. Dealer said I wore it out. Put in exedy clutch, and every time I lift my foot off the gas it sounds like I am just grinding down my clutch. Took it back to the dealer who has had my car for 2 weeks from the start of all this and they still can't figure out whats wrong. After first repair I drove 5 miles and had to have the car towed back. They forgot to tighten a hose and a cross member. This is really PISSING ME OFF as far as this car goes. Mitsu changed clutchs no charge I had to pay for the part. This is a daily driven car 150 miles plus a day stop and go traffic.
Does the "grind" happen when you push in on the clutch and let off the gas after you've been accelerating? If so, that is normal Exedy clutch noise. it's fine - the twin disc's are not for the overly sensitive. Have you ever heard a high horsepower Supra with a twin disc? They sound like crap
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar

Does the "grind" happen when you push in on the clutch and let off the gas after you've been accelerating? If so, that is normal Exedy clutch noise. it's fine - the twin disc's are not for the overly sensitive. Have you ever heard a high horsepower Supra with a twin disc? They sound like crap
This is an Exedy Hyper Single clutch. No the noise is heard when the car is coasting (down hill or to a stop) in gear (no down shifts). Sound stops when gas is just touched or clutch peddle is depressed. This is not a quit noise but loud enough to affect radio play at speed going 65 to 70 MPH. I have 3 peoples input on this, two have seen the car.

1. Mitsh Dealer - Bad Clutch from Exedy "lets stick stock clutch in and if it fixes the noise you pay for all labor and parts, if that does not fix the problem its is some thing else." (currently has car)
They will not the fix clutch with out charging for parts and labor.

2. (Modified car shop in town nationally advertised company)- they believe it is a bad trany. Believes dealer f--- up trany by driving car with out fluid at time of repair. Nothing to due with clutch.

3. Called Exedy main import company. They can't believe Mitsh won't fix clutch. No matter what I did, with the number of miles on the car the clutch should be covered (car has seen no track time, no speeding, couple of fast starts). He is currently checking in to the problem on their end. Quote "If you got this from me I will make it right."

I have a call in to Mitsh and have NOT Heard from anyone about the problem of the clutch all they have said they will do is look at it and put it back together (old parts) at no charge. I must pay to fix. This I am told is they way they will responded to the clutch issue from now on.

Talked to the Service rep at Mitsh and I did mention to him with the stock clutch I would be seeing him next month for my month oil change and clutch installation.

I figure at this rate with using stock parts I could of bought a really different car. $1,200 for parts and labor $40.00 for oil change. $450.00 car payment. $1,690.00 I'm Thinking Pors che GT2 or His and Her Boxers.

Really have no problem sticking in after market parts just hate the way the dealer is responding. Bought this car so I would not have to (ready to go). Wife was tired of my other project car.