Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Look at what I found in my UICP......

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Look at what I found in my UICP......

I posted this thread just to show what I found when I removed my intercooler piping. I've never done a boost leak test on this car since I've owned it yet I've gotten tuned 3 times. The car now has 57k miles and it's taken a beaten in this NorthEast weather. I finally picked up a Daily Driver a couple of days ago so I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and a free weekend to start pulling apart the Evo for some much needed TLC. I'm replacing all of the couplers and clamps on the intake system from Turbo to Throttle Body. I also removed the TB to replace the shaft seals for some Mil.Spec's. Ok, I'll hop off my soap box and show you the pics.

Just in case you guys haven't noticed I do have two 1mm jets inserted into the UICP for my HFS-5 meth kit. I've never run the meth kit but I've tested it with distilled water 3-4 times to ensure that everything worked correctly. So what do you guys think of this?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the pipes made off? Could just be rust from all the humidity you have up there.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

I'm assuming they're supposed to be made of Stainless Steel according to ETS' website but this is obviously not the case. I was going to call them to see if they can explain it. I've been reading up on "Dripping" problems in the Meth section which if I recall points to the HSV or High Speed Valve. Either way I'm not putting these pipes back on. I'm thinking about ordering some Buschur UICPs. They're made of stainless and are flanged for the stock BOV so it seems like my best bet.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:07 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that looks like rust to me
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not liking what I see here Jim. I can only guess that the rust is from the test you ran. IDK though. I can't imagine my pipes looking like that on the inside just from the NE humidity...? Whatever there made of it isn't stainless... you would never see that much rust. Must be some kind of mild steel. Good luck sorting it all out.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Import Junky
I'm assuming they're supposed to be made of Stainless Steel according to ETS' website but this is obviously not the case. I was going to call them to see if they can explain it. I've been reading up on "Dripping" problems in the Meth section which if I recall points to the HSV or High Speed Valve. Either way I'm not putting these pipes back on. I'm thinking about ordering some Buschur UICPs. They're made of stainless and are flanged for the stock BOV so it seems like my best bet.
wow that doesnt look good

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Jul 18, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:20 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah, definately mild steel. This really blows because I don't want to spend more money on the same "Mod" if ya know what I mean. I can always throw the stockers on for now. I'll just have to see what ETS says. I know it's from the distilled water as well but holy crap that's a lot of rust!!!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

its most likely from your meth, because i noticed that you ran meth, and methanol which contains alcohol can corrode metal, so thats why you have rust, but you should check your licp also.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
thats not an ETS uicp
I would hate to think that it they sold me something that wasn't there's. I ordered it directly from their site along with a Rad Pipe and an Innovate Wideband. It's definately an ETS UICP set.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by erald01
its most likely from your meth, because i noticed that you ran meth, and methanol which contains alcohol can corrode metal, so thats why you have rust, but you should check your licp also.
I already explained that I've never run Meth through these pipes. I've never even filled my tank with meth........only distilled water.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ holy s#!t hope that dont happen to me!

maybe its just ss from the outside lol

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Jul 18, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
Account Disabled

My LICP is an AMS pipe along with my Intercooler as well. They're both aluminum and they're find. The water would not have made it that far back anyway.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:26 PM

Call and see what they will do for you. Its not going to hurt to ask.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
^^ holy s#!t hope that dont happen to me!
I'm sure you're fine. I also have the return pipe that recirculates the BOV from ETS and it has a slight orange tinge but nothing crazy like this. Kinda scary looking at these pics.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Import Junky
I already explained that I've never run Meth through these pipes. I've never even filled my tank with meth........only distilled water.

sorry i didnt notice that part, but yeah even water will do that to you especially if its not hot enough for it evaporate, so driving it in the winter with the water spray, plus the cold air already going through that pipe is not gona help your case when its cold outside, so water has driped through your pipes somehow plus the cold air will corrode your pipe but anyhow check your LICP and see if its the same, if it is than the whole water spray will be ruled out...

Quick Reply: Look at what I found in my UICP......