Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: hks bov or greddy bov
hks bov
45.24%
greddy bov
54.76%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

hks bov or greddy type-s

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2003, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hks bov or greddy type-s

i want the one that will give me the least problems with the vta setup please help

Last edited by EVO-ERIC; Oct 18, 2003 at 01:59 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the VTA will always give you problems.. I have the Type-S and it's awesome.. It's recycled, but it sounds like it's VTA.. It's sooo loud with my Buschur intake filter kit.... It's wicked... But I'm sure the HKS with recycling kit would sound great also.. I just love the capability to adjust the tension on the Type-S...
Old Oct 18, 2003, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

I'm with you eric, cant decide which one to get so ill be intrested in what people say about these BOV's hear...im kinda leaning towards the type S.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

I can say this....I'm looking at a Tial or Turbo XS RFL. I have a Forge and I am not happy with it. I had my first almost stall issue yesterday and it flutters no matter what. Tried different orientations, different springs, wahsers, etc. I like it, it's a nice piece, but not preforming how I thought it would. If I HAD to chose between your 2 choices, I would do the HKS.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

HKS is good for VTA, but not that great for recirc. Plus, HKS has not release the official recirculation kit for the SSQV yet (EVO). Exactly how is the greddy-type s sound? I got the AEM intake and my stock BOV is pretty darn loud. But I'm just wondering how the Greddy will sound. I heard it sounds like a bird. Is that true? And I heard alot of problems with spring tension and stalling problems. Greddy if u want to recirc, and HKS if you want to vent. Simple as that.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Whats the difference between recirc and vent, i'm still trying to understand all the concepts
Old Oct 18, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

You cant VTA without fuel management because what you are doing is realeasing metered air. If you VTA all your going to get is a bog.

I have the type s recirculating and love it
Old Oct 18, 2003, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

This has been beaten to death in the past.. Re-circulated is the stock setup because the MAS has already counted the air that goes into the engine.. When you vent, the computer looks for that counted air, but it aint there anymore, so the engine wants to stall...

The Type-S is very loud.. If you remember the scene from TFAF in the beginning when Paul Walker is revving up the Eclipse, and you hear the blowoff going crazy, that's just what it sounds like..
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:00 AM

Talking

I would suggest to use HKS SSQV for VTA...its uses two small n big springs to release that air, mine car running VTA rite now n have no stalling problem, its just a matter of self adjustment to the tension spring to ur driving needs, i've posted one topic on the HKS adjustment setting when VTA. But in the near future i'm gonna try recycle the vented air back to the intake...see how the car responds.
*Another fact dat i want to recircle it back to the intake because theoritically when high press air is vente d to low press at sudden & thru small opening, the air is very much colder, therefore give that little extra cool to the turbo turbine*

Offcourse VTA will run ur car at rich, u can see that if u have A/F ratio meter setup ( Autometer gauges )
http://www.gadgetseller.com/gauges/g...2darkpopup.jpg

HKS SSQV a way to go nice sound too

Last edited by sevensign; Oct 18, 2003 at 10:18 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
This has been beaten to death in the past.. Re-circulated is the stock setup because the MAS has already counted the air that goes into the engine..
this is true, but recirculating is any setup.....just as long as you send the released air from the BOV, back into the intake tract!....for VTA....it is again any setup......Heck, we could even make the stock BOV a VTA...we would just have to disconnect and plug the hose coming off the stock BOV, hmmmmmmmmm.....has anyone tried this??? seems like surely someone has???
Old Oct 18, 2003, 01:01 PM

sleet i am also leaning towards the type-s what is the cheapest you guys have seen them for
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

get the blitz unit, doesn't have the peewwww sound of the hks valve and is much more solid in my opnion.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

the type s is adjustable
most other ones you have to switch out springs and stuff and you almost never get it perfect. The type s is awesome

$245 i think
Old Oct 21, 2003, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

hey i do have hks bov installed on mine, love the sound but HATE the stalling problem! the engine automatically shut down twice in this week for me due to the stalling problem! i was thinking of getting the hks afr to fix the idle problem that cozin the stalling thing; the afr cost 210, but to tune and install that thing cost me 450! dang not a very nice option

i was thinking of removing the hks bov of mine and change to either blitz or stock anyhow i heard there are some leaking problem on the blitz bov for evo8? is that true ?
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

rizalhoo, I know a guy from the UK forums who swears by the biltz valve and runs his car at 2.0 bar peak (29 psi). Just letting you know that I've never heard of it leaking.

Thanks,
Jeff

Quick Reply: hks bov or greddy type-s