Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil leak after timing belt install...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check all the bolts, I had a friend that left one loose and thats exactly what his was doing, after he tightened them it was all good
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:29 AM

Ok, so I got back to the evo last night and sure enough it was one of the hydraulic tensioner bolts. The one towards the rear of the car to be exact. Ran the car after getting the lower cover off and oil poured right out. I used some thread sealant on both bolts to be sure. While I was in there I decided to re-tension the timing belt because last time the piston came out a little farther than I had liked. Now she's perfect!! Feels so good to be back in my car! My girls Altima sucks so bad to drive!! Thanks for everybody's help!!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:37 AM
Account Disabled

glad you got it figured out buddy. I've seen that happen tons of times. Enjoy your car.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor

what can be used ?? loctite ??
Old Nov 28, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by gfng
what can be used ?? loctite ??
As already mentioned, RTV on the threads.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 07:43 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, did my timing belt 3 times now for different reasons and have never had to use rtv, but good to know. The tech manual only says to tighten them down to 17ft-lbs.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for having this thread. I recently purchased an 03 that had a small oil drip from behind the timing belt cover. I read this thread and took a look, and sure enough it was the one bolt on the timing belt auto tensioner. I am going to use Permatex high temp thread sealant though instead of RTV. It should seal the threads a little better.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
As already mentioned, RTV on the threads.
Also, I wanted to post some information on why should NOT use RTV on these bolts as opposed to thread sealant. I actually called up the Permatex tech line and asked them what they would recommend. They said to use the Permatex high temp thread sealant. The guy said the RTV will not hold with oil pressure over 50psi or so. I don't remember exactly why or anything, but please, if you are doing this, DO NOT use RTV, use thread sealant.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:07 PM

Thread back from the dead... I just wanted to post some pics and confirm that I think the same thing just happened to my 03 Evo. Just got done with the 60k mnx when I notice this oil leak. Seems to be coming from the turbo or that general vicinity, and its bad, maybe a quart per day. Do these pics look familiar to anyone else who's had this issue? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak after timing belt install...-oil-1.jpg   Oil leak after timing belt install...-oil-2.jpg  
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lemmysports2
if you have the service manual it says this on page 11B-11
".
>>B<< ENGINE SUPPORT BRACKET INSTALLATION
Coat the threads of the seal bolt A in the illustration with 3M
AAD Part number 8672 or equivalent before tightening.
Tightening torque: 49 ± 5 N⋅m (36 ± 3 ft-lb) "

possibly one of the bolts on the engine bracket touches an oil reservoir and this could be causing your leak.

for some reason i cant upload the picture from the fsm but this is the bolt that is supposed to be coated in rtv

hope this helps and let us know how you make out
Can I assume if the timing belt is on that the pulley(with the 2 small holes to set the tension) would have to be removed to access this bolt as it sits under the motor mount bracket and is hidden and cannot be removed as the timing belt is in front of it?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Not sure about the clearance. If the belt needs to come off first check the setting on the tensioner. If close you can use the special threaded tool compress the tensioner (I hate this tool - it sometimes jams). Turn the engine until all the timing marks line up. Then mark the belt with paint and out onto each sprocket. That way the belt will go back on and everything will remain in time. Don't be spinning the oil pump sprocket with the belt off or you may get the balance shaft out of time.

If the tensioner is out of adjustment you might as well yank the tensioner. That's probably where the leak is anyway. You still need to line up the timing marks and mark the belt and sprockets. You will then have to reset tension and will need the other special tool.

So, you need to go off to the timing belt how-to. Good luck.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Not sure about the clearance. If the belt needs to come off first check the setting on the tensioner. If close you can use the special threaded tool compress the tensioner (I hate this tool - it sometimes jams). Turn the engine until all the timing marks line up. Then mark the belt with paint and out onto each sprocket. That way the belt will go back on and everything will remain in time. Don't be spinning the oil pump sprocket with the belt off or you may get the balance shaft out of time.

If the tensioner is out of adjustment you might as well yank the tensioner. That's probably where the leak is anyway. You still need to line up the timing marks and mark the belt and sprockets. You will then have to reset tension and will need the other special tool.

So, you need to go off to the timing belt how-to. Good luck.
Nope the tensioner bolts were dry the culprit is definitively the middle motor mount bolt there is an oil galley behind it I confirmed on my junk block. I used permatex high temp thread sealant on it an put it back in.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Hope this fixes my leak.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 03:57 AM

Oil leak

I just had my pulleys and drive belt replaced on my 06 eclipse and I have the same type of oil leak. You think I it’s my tensioner some how some where? I’m calling the shop that did the work tomorrow but either way I can’t get it to them for a few days and need to get to work. Think I’ll be ok getting to and from work as long as I keep checking oil level and making sure I’m ok with that?

Originally Posted by def1
most likely the tensioner bolt. Its happened to me twice. Once the shop missed it and the second time i missed it lol. Its a common mistake.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by lemmysports2
if you have the service manual it says this on page 11B-11
".
>>B<< ENGINE SUPPORT BRACKET INSTALLATION
Coat the threads of the seal bolt A in the illustration with 3M
AAD Part number 8672 or equivalent before tightening.
Tightening torque: 49 ± 5 N⋅m (36 ± 3 ft-lb) "

possibly one of the bolts on the engine bracket touches an oil reservoir and this could be causing your leak.

for some reason i cant upload the picture from the fsm but this is the bolt that is supposed to be coated in rtv

Attachment 294810

hope this helps and let us know how you make out
Hi. Good topic!. This is a pic of this the bolt.