Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

trans/starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans/starting problem.

last week i did a transmission overhaul on my evo 8. so that required me taking all that crap off and what not. I had no problems at all removing neything. soo the trans was off and i fixed what needed to be fixed. I never touched the clutch/ flywheel except for a visual inspection but everything looked ok. so i put everything back on in the same order i took it off. so i go to start it up for the first time and it cranks awfully weird. makes like the same cranking noise as if u were to do a compression test with a little screech after the engine turns on. but the car still starts up, no excessive cranking just a different sound. soo today i replace the starter because i thought the old 1 was bad. and what do u know the same noise occured but at a faster speed because of the new starter. when the starter was removed i checked for damage to the flywheel and everything was ok. where do i go from here?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:54 PM

compression test maybe? Make sure your all set there... The car shouldnt crank faster just because of a transmission overhaul. What clutch setup do you have? Did you disable the clutch safety so you start the car without the clutch depressed? Because with your setup it seems that you wouldnt have a stock clutch, and i know this isnt a 2G eclipse, BUT it still IS a 7 bolt and CAN crank walk. So i would do a compression test and maybe get a pry bar on your crank pulley to check for crankwalk, other than that, there should be no reason the car cranks faster than before
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ForcedMotrsprts
compression test maybe? Make sure your all set there... The car shouldnt crank faster just because of a transmission overhaul. What clutch setup do you have? Did you disable the clutch safety so you start the car without the clutch depressed? Because with your setup it seems that you wouldnt have a stock clutch, and i know this isnt a 2G eclipse, BUT it still IS a 7 bolt and CAN crank walk. So i would do a compression test and maybe get a pry bar on your crank pulley to check for crankwalk, other than that, there should be no reason the car cranks faster than before
i didnt do a compression test because once started the car runs perfect...i didnt disable the clutch saftey switch because i didnt remove the clutch(its and ACT 6 puck and lighweight flywheel) i used this site for directions for removal of the trans...http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...2bb2c96e...and they didnt say to disable the clutch safty switch on installation. just checked for crank walk nd no endplay just a very very very small amount which is normal for the milage of my engine.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Help me please!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Can you record the sound? I'm completely out of ideas with the description you gave.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoRob22
Can you record the sound? I'm completely out of ideas with the description you gave.

il record 1 tomorrow. i think im goin to unplug the clutch saftey switch to see if it starts better...if it does what does that mean? thanks everyone so far!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
It could be that there is just enough play in the mounting holes that the gear that engages the flywheel is dragging when it pulls out. Try loosening the starter mounting bolts a little, pull the starter away from the flywheel as much as possible and re tighten.