Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driveshaft clunking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed... I also have this issue... as well as, other noises still trying to figure out!

-Drew
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:58 AM

Taking the car to Satan ... technically its under warranty... but watch them blame it on the aftermarket Clutch!!!!

-Drew
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Mitzi
Taking the car to Satan ... technically its under warranty... but watch them blame it on the aftermarket Clutch!!!!

-Drew
What did you ever find out?

My driveshaft just started rattling on decel, so now I have no idea what the problem is. I'm going to replace the driveshaft and rearend bushings with Beatrush parts and I'll report the results. It sounds like the driveshaft and exhaust are intermittently hitting eachother, like a hollow metal rattling noise, but I don't see how that's possible.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by evo8daddy
damn that things looks great, how much i want one for my evo!!!!!
Drop a line to Mike at AWD Motorsports. They're around $700. It's one of those things to do when you have nothing left to do to the car, I only did it because my driveshaft failed and this was the most cost effective replacement in the shortest amount of time.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:34 PM

I can't decide if I Love this Car or Totally Hate it.

Purchased the car used in 2008 with 11k... It was obviously Tracked by the previous owner. And by this alone I feel the car has issues, yet to figure out. Right off the bat the Clutch was gone, so I replaced it with a Twin Plate OS Giken with a Pull to Push Conversion. I understand multi plate clutches make noises, and what they sound like. I Never track the car and only on occasion power through the gears... I Never did a Clutch Kick or High RPM Launch in fear that the Trans. or Transfer Case would Die... this doesn't mean the first owner didn't.

Fast forward about a year... Rolling up to stop lights (out of gear/ no clutch) you would get a Thump in the bottom of your seat. Forums suggest its the DriveShaft. We also have other noises that I associated as ( AWD) Normal. They are: When you let off the clutch to Neutral a metal clanking sound, or if you let off the Gas In Gear, mainly 1st when driving in parking lots or around at low speeds (similar clanking sound)... maybe this is the only time I could hear it.

As of Right Now... I just Replaced the DriveShaft with the AWD 2pc. Aluminum... and now all the sounds are amplified 10x louder... and I noticed a New one that can only be described as a Can of Bolts rolling down the street... That hits a little to close to home. I love the new Clutch and the New D/S and I refuse to hear "thats normal" ever again!

Anyone... Please... I need some real info.

Transfer-case?
Blown LSD?

I only run Motul Fluids, the car is babied and is basically stock w/ no major power mods... hell it even has a stock ECU. Ohhhh ,and Mitsu Voided my Warranty!!

-Drew
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:01 AM

I just bought a stock evo 9 SE(50k miles) two days ago. It doesn't make any type of noise in the drive train until I'm at WOT and shift and the "wham!" it sounds like the *** ends about to drop out. Mind you I flew out 2300 miles to buy this car and on the test drive I told the sales guy that what ever that noise was, it wasn't right. The had a modded 06 gsr on the lot also so when we got back to the dealership I test drove it to see if it was something common in the evo and the modded did not make the noise. So I asked the sales guy if there was a lift I could get the car on to inspect the driveshaft and rear diff. Once on a lift and looking at the driveshaft I noticed that you could push up on it. The rubber bushings/boots looked solid a mechanic said it was probably designed that way to keep from trashing the rear diff and there's probably an aftermarket fix which made since.

I don't think you can roll the driveshaft side to side like in the video clip in post 1 but you can push it up an 1" or so. The car came out of nevada and is really clean so I bought it. I've driven it from Utah to colorado with no problems. I hope that I can just replace the bushings/boots on the drivshaft and that'll fix the nasty noise that happens at WOT. Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, you have to understand how much Engineering goes into making a car quiet. Once you start modifying the chassis, engine or drivetrain, the car is never going to be quiet again.

Also, you can replace the L-joint on the driveshaft. I noticed that the grease had been thrown out and ended up replacing this component hoping that it would eliminate a tranny whine that was resonating through the read of the car. Didn't happen.

My car sings like crazy.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:40 PM

Crawled under the car today for about an hour, then it started to rain.

I found a places that are making contact.

1. Driveshaft is hitting the Exhaust Heat-shield at the furthest end right behind the first D/S joint... I dropped the D/S and the exhaust and cut the shield off.

2. Down Pipe is hitting the Oil Pan... I purchased thermal wrap for the DP and reflective cool tape for the oil pan.

3. POS APR diffuser is also hitting the DP... I never noticed before so I made a quick cut.

Overall... This didn't fix any of the noises I want gone!!!!

-Drew
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
My car sings like crazy.
Same here. Aftermarket clutch and diff put it by the previous owner and its pretty audible but Ive managed to convince myself that as long as the car performs ok then I can deal.

To that effect, here's what I cant deal with anymore-- the ringing sound my power steering pump is making and the thump/knock i get from (what I hope) upper strut mounts. Car is going into the shop next week to have both of those serviced.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:57 AM

Universal Joints

I had the same issue. MY U-Joints went out, I too went to local mitsu dealer and was told the same thing, non replaceable except to upgrade to aluminum 2 piece. The problem with mine was that it locked up my back wheels entirely until the bind came loose and i could slowly power through it. It sat in the garage all winter. Will post pics of new install ASAP.
Havn't heard many good reviews on the full carbon shaft, has anybody else?

'05 Evo 8 GSR SSL. 496tq/509whp
Old Mar 8, 2014, 01:09 PM

same problem

hey guys I'm having a similar problem with my 2006 evo mr. The weird thing is it only rattles my transmission at 3k rpms every gear i checked my mounts and they are good. can it be my driveshaft then? car only has 57k miles and i haven't tracked it at all any input is appreciated thanks
Old Jan 2, 2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RSMike
i've got a rumble coming through in my drivetrain too, it only happens on cruise. I'm thinking it the driveshaft, one of the universals.
the sound goes away on acceleration and deceleration.

Wats up guys im new to the forums and the evo game but I am having this exact same problem i accelerate/decelerate it goes away only at a constant speed above 40mph did yu ever fix it?????
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So unfortunately the answer to most of these questions is to pull the t-case and transmission and re-shim the case bearings up tight.

Twin plates, hard bushings, lighter flywheels and driveshafts will usually make the "can of bolts" buzz louder on decel.

That being said, I'm putting the 2 piece on my car!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Can someone tell me how I can post a new thread? I'm new to the page.