Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As to the why's, check TRE's website referring specifically to clutch dumps etc. but also to a larger bearing and less run-out.

http://www.teamrip.com/HD_SIDE_COVER_UPGRADE.html

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
Why would you want to change the side cover on a aftermarket diff? Just seems overkill to me.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AreSTG
i think you answered your own question; it's overkill
It's not overkill. The pinion driving the ring gear under extreme loads (clutch dump during drag racing) causes the ring gear and pinion to try to separate. That pushes the diff case apart and puts a TREMENDOUS load on said bearing. John makes a NEW backing plate that allows the use of a MUCH larger bearing to take this abuse.

My bearings on my stock diff after 6 passes down the strip was BEAT. I don't know what the two previous owners did, but I thought I was pretty nice to it. John says it's a weak point and he sees the wear on these units on drag raced cars quite often. His solution was this and I love it. The last thing I want is to be calling a flat bed tow service to tow my car from the race track back to my garage because I puked my drivetrain parts at the track.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this, probably TRE, is one of my bigger winter mods coming up. Right now my rear diff is basically an open diff. no crazy noises, but it's certainly not limiting any slip...
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
It's not overkill. The pinion driving the ring gear under extreme loads (clutch dump during drag racing) causes the ring gear and pinion to try to separate. That pushes the diff case apart and puts a TREMENDOUS load on said bearing. John makes a NEW backing plate that allows the use of a MUCH larger bearing to take this abuse.

My bearings on my stock diff after 6 passes down the strip was BEAT. I don't know what the two previous owners did, but I thought I was pretty nice to it. John says it's a weak point and he sees the wear on these units on drag raced cars quite often. His solution was this and I love it. The last thing I want is to be calling a flat bed tow service to tow my car from the race track back to my garage because I puked my drivetrain parts at the track.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Man, I think I'm losing the contest for TRE #1 Fanboy. I better start posting more. Just wait till you see what super-secret new trick he has in store for my transmission. He won't even tell ME, but Jon assures me I will love it. I'm so excited, what could it be!??

(not being sarcastic - totally serious here)

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Nov 6, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:33 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
gotta support the sponsors, though. not cool otherwise.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to add that I had the Weir Performance 12 plate upgrade installed into my 2003 Evo. I have a Robispec AST coilover 8k/9k set up with the stock anti-roll bars for reference. It really made a difference. I'm no 'Evonils' (really cool power steering vids on youtube) going around the track now but in the rain if I get belligerent the rear will step out under power when before it would do so only when I modulated the throttle a lot at the traction limit. The cars character is definitely improved. I've done two track days since the install, and I'm looking forward to the next one a lot.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:00 PM

Has anyone gotten a JDM 8/9 RS rear end and just replaced their stock US one? These cars are old enough overseas that it shouldn't be that hard to get one if you had the connections.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone tried the Weir 16 plate diff upgrade? What are the upsides/downsides vs the 12 plate? On their website they state: "Note, this kit is for serious performance use only and is not intended for your daily driver."

Does this mean it's unsafe to use on anything other than a road course, or that the noise is increased even over the 12 plate? I have read that the 12 plate 'chatters'...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
kaj

i think there is such thing as "too much".
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i think there is such thing as "too much".
I do too. I've heard 12-plate is awesome, just worried that the 16-plate may have downsides whereas the 12-plate seems an awesome balance between track performance and daily driving fun.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:39 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by DisgustipatedM3
I do too. I've heard 12-plate is awesome, just worried that the 16-plate may have downsides whereas the 12-plate seems an awesome balance between track performance and daily driving fun.

agreed. i can't imagine a reason for more than 12 plates other than for a "hey! look! we fit more plates!" kinda thing.

personally, i plan to do Shep's 8-plate setup. no reason for me to do more than that.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know at which point having more plates is overkill. As with most things, I would imagine there is a point of diminishing returns past a certain amount. Its sort of like the hand held razors, what are they up to like 5 blades? Pretty soon it wont be a razorblade but rather a hand held strip of a dozen blades.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:42 AM

NVH, I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here