Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by onesickevo8
How much is to get a used EVO 8 differential? Or an rebuild With core exchange ?
just search in the fs thread - a few diffs go up for sale now and then
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^just bought mine for 525 shipped then off to TRE it goes!!!. If I recall right evo 8&9 are interchangeable...?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
why doesn't anyone use Shep? the cost for the 12-disc build is VERY reasonable. i was quoted $475 including shipping both ways in an expanded foam box as opposed to TRE's $535. is the price difference justifiable or is it just preference?

p.s. i have an OEM, untouched rear diff from an '06 MR if anyone is still looking.

Last edited by kaj; Oct 31, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
why doesn't anyone use Shep? the cost for the 12-disc build is VERY reasonable. i was quoted $475 including shipping both ways in an expanded foam box as opposed to TRE's $535. is the price difference justifiable or is it just preference?

p.s. i have an OEM, untouched rear diff from an '06 MR if anyone is still looking.
tre is the original, and to be honest i think he does a little more and puts a little more care in it. more than just another product order and he is extremely meticulous about things. he also offers more options with his diffs
Old Nov 1, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DagYo369
^^^just bought mine for 525 shipped then off to TRE it goes!!!. If I recall right evo 8&9 are interchangeable...?
they are. you are in for a huge handling upgrade!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:57 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
tre is the original, and to be honest i think he does a little more and puts a little more care in it. more than just another product order and he is extremely meticulous about things. he also offers more options with his diffs
I gotcha. I'm only looking to add a few discs and have it put back together. TRE would probably be a bit of overkill for me. to be honest, I don't need options. great info to know, though.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excuse me kyoo, just curious what work you have had done by Shep?

I fully believe TRE does great work, and the track car guys agree, but many use Shep as well, and have similar results. I used Shep and am extremely happy with it. I have no issue with your statements about Jon/TRE, but I want to make sure that readers do not infer that Jon puts more care into it than Shep does. Unless you have some personal experience with both, I urge people to be careful with comments read here.

I would not hesitate bringing the diff to either company, I shopped both pretty heavily before deciding which shop to work with personally. And I have nothing but good things to say about Shep, and I have no issues with TRE either.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:55 AM
kaj

I agree. Shep has an amazing track record. he also does exactly what I need for less (I don't need any other options for my application), so that's who I will be using.
if I had need for other bells and whistles that Shep doesn't offer, than I would obviously need to go with TRE.
IMO, you can't lose with either one of these shops (I've been heavily researching as well).

Last edited by kaj; Nov 2, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Excuse me kyoo, just curious what work you have had done by Shep?

I fully believe TRE does great work, and the track car guys agree, but many use Shep as well, and have similar results. I used Shep and am extremely happy with it. I have no issue with your statements about Jon/TRE, but I want to make sure that readers do not infer that Jon puts more care into it than Shep does. Unless you have some personal experience with both, I urge people to be careful with comments read here.

I would not hesitate bringing the diff to either company, I shopped both pretty heavily before deciding which shop to work with personally. And I have nothing but good things to say about Shep, and I have no issues with TRE either.
had the t-case and transmission with evo8 3rd and 4th gears done by shep, and the rear diff built by tre with all the trimmings and custom made hd side cover for the cusco.

you're right, i'm sure either way people will be very happy with the results, i've just had an extremely good experience with tre

Last edited by kyoo; Nov 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They both are good imo.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly. I believe TRE was the original for modifying the rear diff, at least it seemed so when I first got my evo and talked to the locals. I had him modify my diff and its been working like a champ. Im sure he can do the same if its ever time for him to build my trans or tc so that will be the only place I go. Luckily its not a dd so I can afford the waiting since hes not so easy to get a hold of.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TRE does do more... side plate bearing option, rear cover oil sight, shot peening of the gears, setting up the contact patch and deburring the gears.

Maybe they offer similar services for the SAME price, but TRE certainly offers far more and can build a more robust rear diff than Shep offers. Not to mention that Jon builds all the parts that he sells, and Shep has employees that build his.

Nothing against Shep, I don't think he offers the best service when it comes to the Evo drivetrain.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

you guys would not believe the hell jon@tre had to go through to build the sidecover for my cusco

^ i believe the pic he took is actually MY sidecover in the car right now - the current cusco rear diff is different than the one he had the original cusco sidecover built for, so instead of sending it back saying he doesn't make it, he redesigned the cover by himself, and went through a ****ton of metal to get the hardness of it exactly where he wanted.

Last edited by kyoo; Nov 3, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would you want to change the side cover on a aftermarket diff? Just seems overkill to me.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you answered your own question; it's overkill

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here