Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stalls when clutch is disengaged..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump again! Did you guys get this resolved? I'm having the same problem, but because I'm using a push type clutch I'm thinking I have crank walk. I had my father push down on the clutch for me so I could watch the crank pulley, but man its hard to tell if its moving. Is there any tools that you guys know of to test this?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 306 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by D-VO
Bump again! Did you guys get this resolved? I'm having the same problem, but because I'm using a push type clutch I'm thinking I have crank walk. I had my father push down on the clutch for me so I could watch the crank pulley, but man its hard to tell if its moving. Is there any tools that you guys know of to test this?
crowbar/screw driver and dial gauge
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Anything that doesnt involve a dial guage? ie; force a stick behind the crank pulley then press the clutch to see if it falls out...?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 306 Likes on 123 Posts
factory limits is 0.4mm movement, standard value 0.05-0.25mm.
I'd say a dial gauge is necessary
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

I'm getting no play at all. Probably because of the ACL thrust bearings that I forgot I had.

CoastEvo: Did you ever resolve this problem? I'm starting to think its the clutch master cylinder. It makes sense since when the brake/clutch fluid starts to heat up it causes more pressure in the system. If the seal is bad, the brake/clutch fluid forces its way past the seal in the clutch master cylinder then causes a backpeddling effect into the resevior. What do you guys think?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Hello again! So, my problem has gotten so bad that I decided to buy a digital caliper from Advanced Auto Parts. I checked the movement and I'm at 1.04mm of play. Does anyone know or have any experience with having to rebuild the engine at a certain degree of movement?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you push the clutch pedal in and it comes back up on its own, you DO NOT have crankwalk.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well since uve been tryin to diagnose this issue, ok lets walk through the basics, you already did a boost leak test....hopefully u put enough pressure into the system check.
other questions:
1) did you check for an exhaust leak? that can cause a lean condition?
2) did you check pre turbo for an air leak? that can cause a lean condition?
3) did you check for a vacuum leak like someone stated??
4) if you check all those n see if those pan out, get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge and see if you can monitor your fuel pressure to the rail?
5)have you replaced your spark plugs?
thats all i got so far do some more testin then report back.
good luck
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
Account Disabled

I am more concerned with the clutch stalling issue. Any word on that ? This is an interesting case.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C130flyer
If you push the clutch pedal in and it comes back up on its own, you DO NOT have crankwalk.
If the crank moves more than .25mm when you press the clutch YOU HAVE CRANK WALK. My clutch engagement point drops when I shift fast and will not re-adjust until I rev the engine, but it does come up.

Last edited by D-VO; Dec 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Just in case anyone cares; this is what I found: Name:  IMAG0176.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  64.2 KB

The old thrust washers are on top, and the new ones are on the bottom. I was suprised how easy the thrust washers came out by removing the cradle only. I thought I'd be able to replace the thrust washers only, but it turns out the crankshaft bearings are bad now because of the movement.

I wonder though, if I were to check it earlier when the problem first started happening, would I have been able to save the other bearings? Does anyone know?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 01:37 PM

Looks like a good reason to disconnect the clutch switch to me.....putting pressure on that thrust while cranking with no oil is not good. That's what i did after my rebuild.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 01:47 PM

Ive heard about loose engine mounts causing idle issues because of vibration issues. But i guess you would have mentioned vibration. It may be the alternator or battery? Try those.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by phemes
Looks like a good reason to disconnect the clutch switch to me.....putting pressure on that thrust while cranking with no oil is not good. That's what i did after my rebuild.
Yeah I did this for a little while, but realized NLTS or (can't remember) Launch control doesn't work.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D-VO
Yeah I did this for a little while, but realized NLTS or (can't remember) Launch control doesn't work.
That's odd. In my car I unplugged the top switch and the car start fine clutchless, and nlts still works great. I'm still using tephra v5 for reference

Quick Reply: Stalls when clutch is disengaged..