Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stalls when clutch is disengaged..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalls when clutch is disengaged..

I have a 03 Evo8. Idle is around 900rpm, It has an ACT clutch with some miles and use on it. While driving I push (disengage) the clutch and the rpm's immediately fall and the car then stalls out. It doesnt seem to happen everytime and doesn't seem to happen severe enough to stall every time when it does happen. The car has done it before, but seems to now be MUCH worse. It never seems to do it if the car is allready idling; such as if I'm disengaging the clutch to shift from neutral into gear. Also (probably related, but no necessarily), I have a "clunking" noise coming from what seems to be the engine, tranny, or transfer case (its hard to tell where the exact source is). I do believe this is correlated though, because it is only now becoming noticable to me the same time the stalling has become severe. From what I've read it could be a thrust bearing? Or the clutch is not properly disengaging? EGR valve? Throttle Position Sensor?...... Help me.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:38 PM

I'm gonna clean the IAC and the EGR valve and have the alternator checked out..
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your clutch lever is missing the switch under the dash? Look under there, see if the lever makes contact with the switch. If not, pull the switch over so it makes contact. and see if happens any more.

Or the clutch is NOT actually DIS-Engaging when clutch is pushed in. Does the car roll forward with clutch pedal to floor, and foot off brake?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:52 PM

No it doesnt roll or feel like it has much(if any) forward force witht he clutch disengaged and foot off the brake. I'll check that switch you mentioned.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:20 PM

I went and checked the switch on the clutch lever and it appears to make good contact. I went for a drive to do some troubleshooting... and get tacos.. The clunking noise I'm hearing is only there when the clutch is engaged.. When at a stop in neutral touching nothing I hear it, like a rattling noise actually as if something is loose.. If I push in the clutch the noise goes away (by about half the throw). It still wants to stall sometimes when I'm decelerating into idle.. But, it does it both if I put it into neutral and take my foot off the clutch or if I just press (and hold) the clutch and coast in-gear. Also, it appears that when I first start the car it goes to about 500 rpm, sits for a second, then jumps up to about 1,200 before settling to it's normal idle at around 900rpm's.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Does your car have a tune done? or is it just stock?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:44 PM

It's tuned,and it's pretty modified, cams (264/272), full intake system, full exhaust, 30R Turbo, etc... I don't think it's in the tune though because it's gotten worse slowly for the last 6 months, and the different tunes it's had hasn't made a difference from what I remember.. I'm not ruling out that it's an electrical or tuning problem of some kind yet, but I don't think it likely.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

I was saying tune because if your not runing enough timing at idle youll stall. Plus you have cams. Whats your timing at idle? and whats your target idle?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:00 PM

"Desired Idle" is 842 in neutral and 703 drive.. Where is the timing at idle in EcuFlash, I'm not seeing it?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

That seems a little low for having cams. I idle at 900 and im on the stock tune still. As for timing at idle go to your timing map. Look at 0-40 load from 0-1000rpm. what is timing set to?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

mines doing the same thing. bump for info
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Does the car roll forward with clutch pedal to floor, and foot off brake?
I have an ACT clutch and my car does roll forward when I push the clutch pedal. Is this what is causing my stalls?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:13 PM

My timing map starts at 1000rpm and load30.. where the timing is 17... I think the problem is electrical though... I noticed today that when it's idling, if I do anything to put a load on the electrical system (such as turn my headlights on or lower the windows), my rpm's drop. I'm inclined to think its the alternator.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I wanna say you might not be running enough timing at 500 rpm or so. 9 counts of timing should be pretty good. How does it idle though?

Alternator??? hmmm, idk go get it tested i guess.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure you dont have a vacuum leak. My EGR vacuum line came off and this same thing happend to me. I fixed the vacuum leak and it idled like a champ at all times.

Quick Reply: Stalls when clutch is disengaged..