Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Input Shaft Seal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input Shaft Seal

So im almost positive my input shaft seal is leaking...i have transmission fluid coming out the bottom hole in the trans...its a very small amount but none the less a leak. How hard is it to change out the input shaft seal?? Whats the part number and what other tools do i need or can i put the seal in with my hands? If anyone knows or has done this before please help me...i don't want to pay to have it done if its easy. I hate problems like this. something so small and you have to drop the whole tranny just for a seal.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:00 PM

I don't know about our Evos but I had a 1990 fwd-t DSM that had an input shaft seal leak and I had to pull the tranny and have a shop replace the seal. At least on the FWD mitsu trans, the case had to be split and the input shaft seal accessed from the inside. The Evo tranny, however, may be different (hopefully)!

Good luck!
-Franc
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

no thats how the evo tranny is..gotta drop the whole thing and split it...i was wondering if the seal just pops in or if you need some special tool to do it?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've never done this so maybe I should be quiet. But, the service manual shows the seal being installed from the outside. You remove the stamping the TO bearing rides on and there it is.

I've read that the tranny likes to take out the bearing that is behind the seal. If there is wobble in the shaft then the seal is not going to hold. So maybe that is why they split the case - to replace the bearing which does go in from the inside.

BTW, my experience is that you need a driver anytime you are pounding a seal into aluminum. In my case this always involves finding a pipe nipple of the correct size and grinding it flat on one end with a pipe cap screwed onto the other.

Last edited by barneyb; Mar 4, 2010 at 08:06 AM.