Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

greddy type s question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question greddy type s question

i've been looking on several forums with no luck. My stock 8 bov started leaking so I got a new greddy type s. I done the correct single spring mod done on evomoto(large spring 3 turns after contact), and its recirculated. The only thing is it does not sound ANYTHING like the other type s's <--? that I have heard. Instead of a whistle it just sounds like a louder version of stock. Is this bc somethings wrong?

I read on a vw forum that it just needed to be used for a bit, but i'm skeptical of that being as thats the only time I've ever heard of a break in period for a BOV.

Thanks guys
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should just get the metal evo 9 bov..unless your just in it for the sound. my buddy ran the type s in his evo for a couple weeks and it gave him nothing but problems.

Last edited by xxthayxx; Mar 14, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:46 AM

lol yeah sadly, im not completely rid of the ricer inside. i really like the sound.(well what it should sound like anyway
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:51 AM

bump
Old Apr 8, 2012, 06:16 AM

I've had the type s for a year now and it never sounded off correctly, it sounded like the stock at anything over 5psi, and it would sometimes compressor surge. I t'd off the boost controller line (turbo to boost controller) and hooked up a 1/8 in line from the t to the bottom port on the type s, and it sounded off perfectly even at high boost (top set screw is set to 6 threads). Also both springs are inside.

It was then leaking under boost, wouldn't hold over 15 and would taper down to 12. During a boost leak test it would open as well, so I took it apart (super easy just make sure you hold down the purple cap when removing the allen head bolts). I noticed that the diaphragm (black rubber piece) was ripped so I took some black rtv and coated the inside of the rip and the outside (the metal circle piece inside the diaphragm comes out). I let it dry for 24 hours (full cure time) then re-assembled it. I also cleaned/polished the inside of the bov and put a thin coat of oil on the shaft. Now it holds boost and sounds off perfectly!

To summarize:
1. T off the turbo to boost controller line and connect the lower port of the type s to the T.

2. Open the BOV and see if the diaphragm is ripped,
- you can try and repair it with
RTV http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...usted-diafragm

-or buy a new diaphragm for $80. http://www.shopgreddy.com/turbocharg...placement.html

3. Clean the inside of the bov

4. Reassemble the bov (keep both springs)

5. Try setting the adjustment screw to 6 threads sticking out from the top of the nut.