Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP BLACK's life on a stock block?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same on my 2.3 Fpred 7k - doing fine, I think will hold Black also
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been making 450/400 on a mustang(add a easy 10+% for most DJ) and have been fine... Its the early, and knarly TQ these small turbo's make that will kill rods... The tuner can soften that up a tad... The only thing head studs will do is prevent a blown head gasket and such which really IMO would actually be a half arsed safety valve instead of tossing a rod... I am going to some ARP rod bolts this week cause the stockers over time will stretch and you risk spinning a bearing. $45 is cheap insurance imo.

Ill be installing my 6262 kit this week on the stock block and running 30-32psi on E85 with it and expect my motor to hold it with a solid tune for at least a while.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow be honest with yourself your going e85 which will net you more power then your going with a power hungry fp black and expect it to be reiable on stock shorty. Good luck with that ideal. you would be better off on 93. if your using e85 turn the boost down tune for maybe 25 psi to keep things safe. the tq number has already been stated in the thread if you want reiable get a built longblock. Your just putting yourself on borrowed time when you double the limits of the stocker. Could it hold of course but just because your neighbor does it does not mean your car will handle it. I hope you plan on saving for a built shorty the second you buy this black with headstuds. that way when you blow it the blow will be softer
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Mine's evo: How many miles are on your car? Would like to know because I am thinking about getting the same turbo.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Steve, I was talking about Kyle and Bryans cars that had those problems. Kyle told me to get rod bolts as well but I would need Gst to install them. I have 15,000miles on my car so I don't want to rebuild it yet. I actually decided to go with my first choice of turbo/cam combo. I'm just going to go with the BBK-full with FP4R cams. I know that is a bit of a change from a FP Black but I'm going to get faster spool and it will BR easier to restrict the tune for the sake of my block.
Thanks for the input guy's.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Also Rockman, we only have 91oct in California......n o turbo really makes good power on 91oct.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:42 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
550/425 should be the limit on stock bock with the Black. The tq is what will destroy your motor.

Mikey

i agree with mikey also great turbo but a bit laggy when compared to the green or red..It's also gonna be hard for u to make500 whp on 91 oct hope u have some serious mods done like porting,cams,manifold,etc.etc. if not your are wasting your time and money!The best way to achieve your goal on 91 oct is all the mods i listed also add some meth..
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

I would like to ask everyone not just 1slowassevo, to read the whole thread before posting. I'm sure I said I'm using E85 a couple times.
Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mine's evo
I would like to ask everyone not just 1slowassevo, to read the whole thread before posting. I'm sure I said I'm using E85 a couple times.
Thanks.

ok good luck..go with a red if u dont wan't more then 550 whp cause it's a waste sometimes i miss the hammer hit from the red......
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going with the BBK over the red because believe it or not.....in my area there is more than a few BBK's making the same power as reds with a tad faster spool and more reliable for road racing. Ask Ssteve^. He is making 440~450whp on a mustang dyno on a 03 Evo 8. BBK's have a good reputation in California.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Also Rockman, we only have 91oct in California......n o turbo really makes good power on 91oct.
Yup i know i was stating 93 as in general for you it would be 91 . Will be better if you get a HTA Green instead those turbos love/eat up e85. will have nasty spool and power easily those cams are cool i have heard decient things about them surprised your not going kelford 272. Have you considered ported parts out?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Well my friend was making 400whp/400tq on a mustang dyno with FP4R's and abosolutly no problems. I don't know much about the kelfords myself. I know one local with a hta35 was having knock issues with the kelfords. Besides everyone saying they make good power that's all I know? Lol
As for porting, I'm on a budget and I'm only trying to collect the key pieces to the build. The only porting I have done is my ex mani.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled

Well my friend was making 400whp/400tq on a mustang dyno with FP4R's and abosolutly no problems. I don't know much about the kelfords myself. I know one local with a hta35 was having knock issues with the kelfords. Besides everyone saying they make good power that's all I know? Lol
As for porting, I'm on a budget and I'm only trying to collect the key pieces to the build. The only porting I have done is my ex mani.

my friend i think your a little clueless of these turbo's do more research cause the green with e 85 is a nasty turbo!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1slowassevo
my friend i think your a little clueless of these turbo's do more research cause the green with e 85 is a nasty turbo!!!!!!!!
Tell him Luke!!!

Mikey
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Tell him Luke!!!

Mikey

Hey what u doing on the form aren't you suppose to be at er today....lol.

Quick Reply: FP BLACK's life on a stock block?