Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kiggly HLA Pressure regulator, worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8 ft lbs, really? Ordering of these meow.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
bumping this very old thread. how much of the way does this go toward preventing oil starve? just curious
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Not a whole lot. It does keep a bit more oil in the pan. But if the car is pulling over 1g, especialy in forward acceleration or right hand turns, it doesn't really matter much.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by kiggly
My regulator will not alter the oil flow or pressure to the lifters compared to OEM at warm oil idle in any way, shape, or form. The regulator only begins altering pressure to the lifters when the supply to the cylinder head oil gallery exceeds 15psi. This is not the case in a low idle with warm oil. Whomever recommended it wasn't appropriate for engines idling below 1200rpm must not understand how it functions. It does not regulate or restrict oil flow to the lifters until there is already an excess. We have plenty of regulators out there with low-idling engines and no issues whatsoever.

The stroker motors actually have worse windage at the same rpm compared to standard crank motors because the rod big ends are swinging at a higher velocity. The HLA regulator delivers increasing improvements with both higher rpm and increased blowby. Something like a bone stock engine that seals up great and is only used to low rpm may not see a significant change. But as you push it harder, the improvements will increase.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who can chime in that even in 3XXwhp sub-8000rpm setups they saw less oil in the catch can after installing our regulator. For everyone that has seen this, it is direct evidence of more oil remaining in the oil pan during heavy usage. Less oil in the catch can is the result of less oil suspended in the head and valve cover to be pushed into the catch can due to blowby. The only other place that oil could be is down in the crankcase and oil pan.

Thanks for reading,
Kevin
Just to point it out again
great info Kev
Old Jan 26, 2017, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Not a whole lot. It does keep a bit more oil in the pan. But if the car is pulling over 1g, especialy in forward acceleration or right hand turns, it doesn't really matter much.
yeah very true. IIRC the other side of the equation, as far as oil in the head goes, is we have poorly designed drainage. I went the half-way route with the kiggly, crank scraper & small baffle in the pan. probably buys me half a second - fine for autox and the light hpde work I do on street tires, but obviously won't hold up for sustained g's.

great mod regardless, but only part of the equation when it comes to managing oil starvation for racing
Old Jan 26, 2017, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
yeah very true. IIRC the other side of the equation, as far as oil in the head goes, is we have poorly designed drainage. I went the half-way route with the kiggly, crank scraper & small baffle in the pan. probably buys me half a second - fine for autox and the light hpde work I do on street tires, but obviously won't hold up for sustained g's.

great mod regardless, but only part of the equation when it comes to managing oil starvation for racing
Yes, definitely a good mod. It's on my list before the next track day in april.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:45 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
It's a simple swap, so I did mine the first time I had the valve cover off. I figure there was no down side, so....
dunno if it works, but I feel warm and fuzzy.