Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shepherd Transmission for Evo 03-06 MR 6 Speed (Sheptrans 6spd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
Did you connect via the fill and drain holes?
Yes
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Did you connect via the fill and drain holes?
I did so too..

Had special adapters made for the fill and drain holes on the box, to fit as large hose as possible

Name:  20131125_083611.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  177.9 KB

running a tilton pump, manually operated... Pump stays off when driving normally... On the track I just switch it on..

Will post some pics of the setup..
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I'll have to set up something like that eventually. I seem to recally razorlab mentioning that when he monitored trans temp, it would get up to 200F even during daily driving.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

I think even 5 speed boxes could benefit.. most of us are pushing some 40 to 50% more power then stock..
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll have to set up something like that eventually. I seem to recally razorlab mentioning that when he monitored trans temp, it would get up to 200F even during daily driving.
In my tests of daily driving I would get 180s with the under tray off, 200s with all plastics on. Based on all the aero theory I read I expected the opposite but it didn't happen. That was all freeway and moderate 'take mom to lunch' kind of driving. Am tent temps didn't seem to make a difference and I am in SoCal so they were up to 100s.

I used an expensive RB pump, all brass internals to take the heat and not fail. Based on the research I got too into it. Doing it again I would just use any old cheap pump, since I only run it on track and otherwise daily the car.

If not obvious to all running a cooler setup make sure you filter particulates somehow because you removed the magnet with those adapters as I did. I have some weird fancy filter can I bought with the pump. Also expensive.

@skilmatic, how did you mount the pump? To what. I like your location, as mine became a complicated aluminum bracketed thing next to the ACD pump. It looks simpler and cleaner. Can you put up some more pics of the mounting?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Update from John:

I am working on it but do not know any more at this time. I will not be releasing pricing until they are ready to ship. I made the mistake of doing this last time and the rate drastically changed.

John Shepherd
Also, I believe it is talked about early in this thread how John can/will add bungs to the housing for a cooler/pump setup. I prefer this method
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fireroasted
In my tests of daily driving I would get 180s with the under tray off, 200s with all plastics on. Based on all the aero theory I read I expected the opposite but it didn't happen. That was all freeway and moderate 'take mom to lunch' kind of driving. Am tent temps didn't seem to make a difference and I am in SoCal so they were up to 100s.

I used an expensive RB pump, all brass internals to take the heat and not fail. Based on the research I got too into it. Doing it again I would just use any old cheap pump, since I only run it on track and otherwise daily the car.

If not obvious to all running a cooler setup make sure you filter particulates somehow because you removed the magnet with those adapters as I did. I have some weird fancy filter can I bought with the pump. Also expensive.

@skilmatic, how did you mount the pump? To what. I like your location, as mine became a complicated aluminum bracketed thing next to the ACD pump. It looks simpler and cleaner. Can you put up some more pics of the mounting?

You can tell from the existing pic how it is mounted. I made a bracket around the pump and there is a rod that sticks out. If you follow the pump to the left it sticks out to the left and it is welded there at the contact point.

Form and function are important to me as you can tell.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

one thing about pump location and connection... The instructions I got from tilton were to setup the pump to pull oil from the cooler and cooler to be connected directly to the gearbox oil drain, That way the pump gets cooler oil..
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:38 AM
Evolving Member

Any estimates of the weight added with the cooler?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

tilton pump is about 1.7 KG, but you might like the continuous use vesion which is 2.5 kg, add 1 kg for the cooler and about 1 kg for the extra oil.. maybe a bit more.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

Not even that bad. I'm really considering making up a switched pump. I'm still on factory power but would be a great peace of mind
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
one thing about pump location and connection... The instructions I got from tilton were to setup the pump to pull oil from the cooler and cooler to be connected directly to the gearbox oil drain, That way the pump gets cooler oil..
I agree with this. However, the pump I utilize is a similar pump industrial turbine engines use. They are built to withstand tolerances that are far beyond our cars can throw at it. So I can get away with the way I route mine. Otherwise, I would have it routed the way Tilton says. Also for pump location, I mounted mine there because I have an under tray that protects it. I would advise the same thing as well or shielding the pump.

Originally Posted by soderdna
Any estimates of the weight added with the cooler?
The added weight is a downside yes, but the pros IMHO definitely outweight this. Another thing I am working on is moving all of the weight behind or closer to where the front of the chassis is to help with handling. But where you add weight you can also shed weight in other areas. So in essence you play a game of give and take. Just like many relationships.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well there are probably a million ways to do this. As long as oil gets circulated and not leak it will do a great job of cooling.

I was specifically instructed by RB racing to have the pump draw from the drain and pump its pressure through the system back to the fill. This guy knows his stuff, and has a big racing history, and as such is a very strong opinion'd kind of guy. Maybe not the friendliest either, to guys that don't know much about fittings, like me. He would likely say the only reason Tilton is telling you that, is because their pump will fail with the oil temps coming in. That is why the internals of the pump are critical to hanlde high heat. I think its likely all overkill, but that is the information I found when doing my research.

There is some pretty good info here if a bit clunky to navigate, for those that didn't see it on my pump build thread.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

Protection of the pump and the lines is key as was mentioned. Not so much about the pump failing or getting corroded though. Just to be clear if something snags the line and you don't know, you will soon have a big bang theory of your own.

I would say the real compromise for the pump addition isn't added weight, though mine is heavy, its the risk of additional connections and points of failure with oil leaking out. That is the real trade off and require diligent maintenance to mitigate that risk. Its not a install it and forget it kind of thing.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fireroasted
Well there are probably a million ways to do this. As long as oil gets circulated and not leak it will do a great job of cooling.

I was specifically instructed by RB racing to have the pump draw from the drain and pump its pressure through the system back to the fill. This guy knows his stuff, and has a big racing history, and as such is a very strong opinion'd kind of guy. Maybe not the friendliest either, to guys that don't know much about fittings, like me. He would likely say the only reason Tilton is telling you that, is because their pump will fail with the oil temps coming in. That is why the internals of the pump are critical to hanlde high heat. I think its likely all overkill, but that is the information I found when doing my research.

There is some pretty good info here if a bit clunky to navigate, for those that didn't see it on my pump build thread.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

Protection of the pump and the lines is key as was mentioned. Not so much about the pump failing or getting corroded though. Just to be clear if something snags the line and you don't know, you will soon have a big bang theory of your own.

I would say the real compromise for the pump addition isn't added weight, though mine is heavy, its the risk of additional connections and points of failure with oil leaking out. That is the real trade off and require diligent maintenance to mitigate that risk. Its not a install it and forget it kind of thing.
This is very true. That is the key is to get the fluid circulating for cooling.

And that is why I explained to people it really depends on the kind of pump they use which will determine how you set it up and route everything. I have probably been running mine longer than most people without any hiccups. But I am very meticulous and **** about everything.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by hatesposers
Update from John:

Also, I believe it is talked about early in this thread how John can/will add bungs to the housing for a cooler/pump setup. I prefer this method
I just got the new 6 speed with upgraded gears from Shep a few weeks ago, and Trevor told me they just use the existing fill and drain holes.

Quick Reply: Shepherd Transmission for Evo 03-06 MR 6 Speed (Sheptrans 6spd)