Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what the hell is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
I'm real sorry to hear about your bad luck man I feel for you it plain sucks.The motor shouldn't be burning this much oil its to much even that's it's new and it will burn some to seat the rings..Lately I have been hearing that buschur's work has been slacking this is the 5 motor problem I HEARD within the last 3 months I was gonna get their stage 3block but not now..Davis should fix this for free even that you didn't check it shouldn't have buurned oil like this I know you put alot of money in this build so I'm curious to see how he handles this and what he tells you ..Good luck You can try COUPLE OF THING FIRST..

1.Put new bearings in .
2.Drain the block then flush it well.
3.Check the walls for score damage
4.Check the compression again
5.Put new oil and cross your fingers..

ps even if it's loose the compression shouldn't be low that's bull crap.
Im in contact with David and Mike@AWD. I will be taken care of im confident in that. I've never had any issues with either or.

I did break this motor in with e85 with 5* over MBT at peak torque so I know from the get go I was abusing the motor and the AFR was pig rich so it washed the cylinders out + over pressurized the motor on the first pull. THe next motor I get I will turn the boost down to about 26psi and break it in like that. This motor was strong man.. thats why its such a shame.. this thing took everything I threw at it.. surely not strong enough to run on no oil however
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by batty200
As loose as that rod is I would most likely say the rod journal is not salvagable on that crank and the rod is most likely beat out of round. This motor will need a complete rebuild. tscomp let me know if you want me to get you a crank. I have a used one available for a good price and can get you a new one at quite a discount.

I know Cr rings tend to take a while to seat and burning oil sucks. I have seen some motors with Cr rings take as many as 5K miles before they stopped burning oil then magically seal up and never burn a drop again. Another thing to note is tscompusa had kelford 272 so cranking compression with those most likely would result in lower #'s due to increased overlap. It is unfortunate that this went this way. If BR does anything about this I would be surprised as I would not personally hold them responsible. If they do help out that would be above and beyond.
Sounds good I will keep in touch man. Round #2 This time we can knock it out faster tho. I need your engine hoist and stuff again tho.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh my.. that is a sad turnout. Im checking my oil level right now!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

ok well i showed my friend this video today and he thinks that it sounds like a spun bearing?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to see that, good luck with the new one.

How far below the lower mark on the dipstick was it?

How many miles were on the oil this happened to?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Sorry to see that, good luck with the new one.

How far below the lower mark on the dipstick was it?

How many miles were on the oil this happened to?
Took almost 3 qts just to show a spec of oil on the dipstick

Approx 1200 miles.. but I topped it off before I went for the 850 mile trip to ohio
so it burned 3 qts in 850 miles.

What finished the car was when I took it around the block with 20psi oil pressure.
It stayed at 20psi even cruising.. thats when I knew I was screwed.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
damn dude never again rebuilt and not even close to 10k on this puppy sad day. I think the forces are telling you to go 2.4. Come join the club. Not to bash my hommie but why install a aem oil pressure guage and not moniter it at all or consider it wrong
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RockmanX
damn dude never again rebuilt and not even close to 10k on this puppy sad day. I think the forces are telling you to go 2.4. Come join the club. Not to bash my hommie but why install a aem oil pressure guage and not moniter it at all or consider it wrong
im still asking myself that dude. I seen it idling 10-15psi in my driveway yet i went and took it around the block anyways? thats when it began to knock bad.

Im staying with the 2.3L I wasnt done enjoying my current setup yet. Getting the same thing I had before and pretending this never happened

I had it at 537whp @ 30psi also.. I had a great street tune on it and everything and it was all running beautiful I was pumped.. then this LOL. I will have the build done within a few weeks, no screwing around this time.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Aug 22, 2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:20 AM
Account Disabled

Ditch butchers build and send to ams..Are you hearing yourself man 3 quarts of oil in 850 miles this is not normal something was wrong with that block in the first place your blaming yourself a bit to much I hope butcher didn't brain wash you to think like this Anyways good luck which ever path you take car is gonna be a beast again.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks.

That thing was using way to much oil, I've never heard of a new motor consuming that much unless there was a problem with it from the get go...

Good luck with getting it back together.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
I'm real sorry to hear about your bad luck man I feel for you it plain sucks.The motor shouldn't be burning this much oil its to much even that's it's new and it will burn some to seat the rings..Lately I have been hearing that buschur's work has been slacking this is the 5 motor problem I HEARD within the last 3 months I was gonna get their stage 3block but not now..Davis should fix this for free even that you didn't check it shouldn't have buurned oil like this I know you put alot of money in this build so I'm curious to see how he handles this and what he tells you ..Good luck You can try COUPLE OF THING FIRST..

1.Put new bearings in .
2.Drain the block then flush it well.
3.Check the walls for score damage
4.Check the compression again
5.Put new oil and cross your fingers..

ps even if it's loose the compression shouldn't be low that's bull crap.
This is true. is the compression evenly low? or low in just a few cylinders? Be sure to replace your rings and get it re-honed, once you take rings out of a bore they will not seal the same, experience talking here
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 20gmr
This is true. is the compression evenly low? or low in just a few cylinders? Be sure to replace your rings and get it re-honed, once you take rings out of a bore they will not seal the same, experience talking here
evenly low from day 1. 140 across.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

todays progress.

next transmission comes off, then ill get block out.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
Account Disabled

I'm telling you there was a problem from day 1 low 140 across the board is low for a new motor.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Oh no! Sorry to hear about this! I've only been on my 2.4L for ~700 miles but I've been watching that oil pressure gauge like a hawk! My oil was starting to get about a quart low but still above minimum (not sure if somehow it was already like this, or if it actually burned it) so I topped that som' batch off last night and am about to change out the conventional for synthetic. I'll be keeping a sharp eye on my oil regardless.

Best of luck on the build. BTW - the "tapping" sound is exactly what I heard when my stocker spun a bearing. Watching you manually tap it, and hearing that sound sent shivers up my spine!

Quick Reply: what the hell is this noise?