Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How NOT to install an Alky kit! DANGER! Pics inside may shock and horrify!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:04 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
How NOT to install an Alky kit! DANGER! Pics inside may shock and horrify!

Ok all joking aside let me be up front and say that this thread is NOT intended to BASH the members who's posts I'm linking to. Instead, it is meant to point out potential problems and then suggest better/safer methods of installation. After my last rant on cheap alky kits (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-exposed.html) I found to my shock and horror that there are some prime examples of how NOT to install an alky kit IN OUR OWN HOW TO SECTION! I'm sorry but I have to point out these things because it is plainly obvious that most people are not getting why alky kits can lead to engine failures. Here are some examples of what NOT to do.

1) Alky Nozzles go in HARD pipes not silicone couplers!
This is probably fine and dandy for a little while but eventually these couplers are going to rip/tear and eventually leak both charge air and probably alky/water. These couplers get twisted around and flexed daily, and furthermore if you're into modding your car they might get removed more than a few times! The more time and more abuse that happens, the more likely you are to have a problem here.
Solution: tap into a hard (metal) pipe and use proper sealant.

How NOT to install an Alky kit!  DANGER!  Pics inside may shock and horrify!-wkxqn.png

2) wiring safety! Think people, THINK!

2a): *Most* wires do not go outside the car
Yup, road debris can slice them and they're not generally meant for all-weather use.
http://www.evo X forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=486981&postcount=110
And do NOT use the door jam/fender gap to route wires!

2b) Wires do not go around grommets:
EVER! They go through grommets! Unless I'm seeing this pic wrong, routing a wire or a whole harness around a grommet can lead to an electrical short and guess what: FIRE!

Solution: route wires through grommets.

2c) If you're going to tap into the fuse box, do so in a proper fashion.

This is NOT acceptable (wire can come loose, and you want a fuse at the power source...anywhere you don't have a fuse can potentially turn into a fire with a quickness!):
How NOT to install an Alky kit!  DANGER!  Pics inside may shock and horrify!-rfywo.png

Instead, use a proper wire or fuse tap like this, with an actual fuse right at the fuse box:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=071-580

3) Alky/water line feed: inside or outside, but pick appropriate tubing!

If you had used braided SS line or even a hard metal line, this routing would be fine, but honestly, think about all the crap all over the roads you drive on every day.....do you really think there's not an object (rock, metal chunk, hooker, etc) that won't puncture a hole in this in a heartbeat? Sure chances might be somewhat low as the lines are realy nice quality and very durable when they're brand new, but what about after a year or two of use? They become hard, brittle, and more likely for damage to occur. I think its obvious what follows once these lines start leaking.

Solution: find a safe routing solution inside the car, or use braided SS line made to endure the elements.

4) Lastly, why on earth delete your spare tire?
These cars are meant to be driven on the road, and isht happens! Find a spot to put your pump that doesn't involve crippling your car in the event of a tire puncture.

I'm not trying to be a rag but everyone EVERYONE that mods their car wants to do it under a few conditons! It must not affect the safety of the driver/passengers, and it really should never affect the reliability of the car. Taking shortcuts like the ones I've shown here are quick links to blown headgaskets, melted pistons, fire in the engine bay, and putting your LIFE at risk! I'm sorry to be so emphatic about this but there are real problems by doing this and the people posting these are getting pages and pages of commens about how great the installs look by people that really should know better.

Last edited by scheides; Sep 21, 2010 at 08:27 AM.