Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad lifter? Something else?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost 100 percent its a lifter. i had same exact noise. and to fix it i put in jam non-ticking lifters lol sound like a bunch of bs but deff worth every penny
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by evojoe90
almost 100 percent its a lifter. i had same exact noise. and to fix it i put in jam non-ticking lifters lol sound like a bunch of bs but deff worth every penny
Thanks for the less stressful opinion lol. Are these them right here?

http://jacksonautomachine.com/index....mart&Itemid=12
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

I have a similar prob right now. Put in a 2.3 stroker and the noise started like a month after....so obviously I pulled the pan and the rod bearings were beautiful...looked just the way they did when installed. The noise is definitely coming from the head but upon inspection, nothing is visibly wrong including rollers..I'm at a loss. Replaced the lifters with 1g lifters on the number 1 cylinder which is where I pinpointed the noise and no help. the noise is coming from the front timing belt side of the head... Whatever just drive it til it breaks. thats my theory ever since I figured out it wasn't the bottom end.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TJSAP00
Thanks for the less stressful opinion lol. Are these them right here?

http://jacksonautomachine.com/index....mart&Itemid=12
yup those are it..id say give it a shot. it worked for me, just follow the instructions and you should be tick free.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
make another video reving it higher quicker and letting off.. ill tell you if its a lash adjuster or a rod knock. if you didnt let the motor run low on oil its not likely rod knock.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:39 PM

Here is the scoop, finally got working on the car today with a buddy, it is definitely not a spun bearing. We took everything off, took out the lifters and bleed all 16. When we started up the car seemed like every single one was ticking so it sounded like a gatling gun. After letting it idle and what not seemed like most of them filled back up. There is still ticking, so I assume it is 1 or maybe 2 lifters that have seized and/or busted. Im guessing ill order the new lifters and try those out. Thanks for all the inquires and comments. Ill keep everyone updated.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TJSAP00
Here is the scoop, finally got working on the car today with a buddy, it is definitely not a spun bearing. We took everything off, took out the lifters and bleed all 16. When we started up the car seemed like every single one was ticking so it sounded like a gatling gun. After letting it idle and what not seemed like most of them filled back up. There is still ticking, so I assume it is 1 or maybe 2 lifters that have seized and/or busted. Im guessing ill order the new lifters and try those out. Thanks for all the inquires and comments. Ill keep everyone updated.
i bet you're happy it wasnt the rod bearing.

as for the ticking like crazy its normal. start the car up let it get to running temp and then rev it and hold the rpm to 3500 rpm for 15 seconds then let off.. and repeat this about 10-15 times until the ticks are all gone this is documented in the service bulletins and this is how you fill the lash adjusters back up.

ADD:

btw if you bled them all and didnt notice anything weird with any, then chances are they are all fine. just do what i mentioned above and you should be tick free.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Oct 17, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=517001

Identical problem, I've replaced lifters, swapped out injectors, undid the vacuum line to the pcv and that wasn't it. Haven't pulled pan yet but its quiet under the car really sounds like its on top. Hopefully I can figure something out, let me know how things go for you.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by crckheadjed
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=517001

Identical problem, I've replaced lifters, swapped out injectors, undid the vacuum line to the pcv and that wasn't it. Haven't pulled pan yet but its quiet under the car really sounds like its on top. Hopefully I can figure something out, let me know how things go for you.
Thats exactly what mine sounded like, my phone took a crappy video audio wise so it sounded a lot worse.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Crckhead and tjsapoo....did you ever figure out the noise? Mine has the exact same noise which started after a 2nd gear pull....What was wrong with yours?? Yes I know it's an old thread sorry but better than making a new one
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well if its still making ticking noises and goes up with rpms somewhat, yet its not a lifter or spun bearings, id be more inclined to look at your serp belt tensioner, or possibly one of the pullies as a suggestion. Sometimes a pulley going bad can make some ticking style noises, which under right load can make it sound similar to a lifter tick.