Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing. - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Edited by Jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX View Post
+1 I agree as well.

As long as we don't read into these things too much. Oil tests are really beneficial for EDI's (extended drain intervals) but changing oil every 3K like I do not so much. I do them to test different oils, I have MANY UOA's and VOA's over the past decade.
I agree with what you are saying. I usually change my oil every 3k, but I wanted to get a uoa to see for myself what exactly is going on. The info I would hope to gather is that I will be posting up here various 5w30 oils that I am curious to try out and see what anaylsis they get not only on a dd 3k, but also I will post how they hold up after they have been raced. I would like to see how these oils also hold up after each track event, to also see how many autox/track events it would take to wear the oils down enough so I can get a better idea of when I should be changing it. Whether I find out its after every event or more is fine, but I wanted to share this out here because we get SOO many posts asking about oils and drain intervals maybe this will help out.

It was like I was saying earlier. I dont intend this to be a 'which oil is better' thread. I will in this testing find which is better suited for me, but its not to promote or bash any one oil.

Last edited by TommiM; Jan 4, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Nice post but it doesn't really tell us anything. You are using high quality oil for daily driving, surprise, it works

Would be much more interesting with the autox/track results on the pennzoil ultra given its new to the market. I have been considering switching to it in the vette, also using a napa gold filter.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco View Post
Nice post but it doesn't really tell us anything. You are using high quality oil for daily driving, surprise, it works

Would be much more interesting with the autox/track results on the pennzoil ultra given its new to the market. I have been considering switching to it in the vette, also using a napa gold filter.
I will be doing just that.
Autox season starts up in a few months and if I can get time I might have some track events coming up soon too.
Part of this is to see what these oils look like after say 3k, then 5k for those curious in extending their drain intervals on a dd. My interest is to see what these oils that Im interested in running next season are doing and how they will be holding up after an event. Not only for the purpose of whether or not to drain it sooner, but to see which oil is also best for me, considering cost,performance, and availibilty to it. I wanted to share this along the way and see if it can help others in any way.

I have been running Amsoil 5w30 asl for the past year and am currently trying out the pennzoil ultra. I will say my engine really likes the ultra, cold starts seem really nice. It feels to flow easier when its cold, engine revs a bit easier. I dont like making comments like that without proof of some anaylsis though, so thats another reason why I am doing a uoa of it, along with testing out in the track. Could it be like a butt dyno feeling, idk, but when I get more info on here we shall see.

Autox season begins in april/May with our local autox club and SCCA.
Planning on quite a bit of track events and alot of seat time at some tracks out in the midwest area this summer so got to prep the car for that as well..
Old Jan 4, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX View Post
You really can't tell if you have any real "wear" issues with your motor though with a UOA, so as long as you know that. I know many Auto Xers that had perfect looking UOA's and they blew something the fallowing weekend.

UOA's are really only good for a couple of things to the average joe, meaning unless your a chemist, you wouldn't know anyway.

1) if you have a blown headgasket. The UOA will show coolant in the oil, IF the blown gasket is near an oil passage.

2) Your AFR's are all out wack. The UOA will show fuel content of the oil. If it is very high, then you need to talk to the tuner. Can also check to see if your air filter is working properly. Remember to ALWAYS take an oil sample when the engine has been driven a while. That way, any condensation or access fuel in the oil can be burnt away to ensure you get an accurate oil sample.

3) To check the TBN or TAN of an oil to see how much "life" is in the oil. Even this is not 100% correct because I have sent samples to 3 different labs, and got 3 totally different results.

One thing I would recommend is have your oil filter sent out too. I sent out my oil filter media after my Solo 2 events on numerous ocasions to see if there were anything unusual there.

I can save you allot of time. I did all that you are trying to many times over with the 3 evo's I have had. I can tell you right now that if you run Amsoil, Redline or the Royal Purple XPR series you will have no issues and can go 3K miles easy. Even after race days. I would solo 2 every weekend, do dyno tuning for hours during the week, and logged all kinds of stuff. Unfortunetly, when I sold my past 2 Evo's I gave them all my oil test results, but I do have the specs saved on a spreadsheet that I saved. It was always meant to be used for my personal record anyway, not to prove anything to anyone. To this day, I still don't have that attitude. BUT if my results can help someone else, then maybe I will start to post more things.

As I stated earlier, I have not tested Amsoil or Redline for quite some time. I chose to try the Redline. But I don't do a one time thing. I try an oil for at least 1 year. At the end of the year I gather my info which consists of: VOA's, UOA's, Oil Temps averages, Tuning Data, Dyno Logs, and Data Logs. Then calculate everything out to see what works. I have no intereste what so ever in EDI's (extended drain intervals). So that aspect of the testing is totally irrelavant to me. So I will psot back later first with the VOA of Redline 5/30. This their STREET oil not their RACE oil. If you need Redline Race oil, then you must have a 800-1000whp Drag Evo or something. haha.

Good to know. Would really like to see some VOA of redline, thanks.

Like you were saying I think there could be lots of good info so long as it stays unbiased. I have heard about the inconsistincies (sp?) from different labs and that is a downside. You might get one place sends you a spec that is high, while someone else might give out a low reading. Its just an imperfect world I guess.

Last edited by TommiM; Jan 4, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01 View Post
Jeff no need to double check that.

AMSOIL does not use para synthetics, they are all premium synthetics AKA "chemically synthesized materials"

If the Amsoil Reps don't know their own Oil then maybe they should double check as requested. The info is on their own website for goodness sake. Sorry Dude, but I gave you a chance, so I had to post it. Its just not right saying false stuff on the boards. People that don't know, may believe you.

http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/article_xl7500.aspx

Again, just another reason why I can't buy from Amsoil. Sorry Guys. Agian this was in reference to the XL line of Amsoil oils that someone asked about. The Reply was incorrect. I let it go for a while, but I just had to step in guys. Sorry. I will get bashed for showing the truth, its not to start a war, its just that, don't believe everything your told. Check for yourself.

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Jan 7, 2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: checck spelling
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Looking forward to more oil tests
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Here's my first analysis. 3660 miles on the oil. oil used is Amsoil Synthetic 10W-30.

Attached Thumbnails Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.-e36883.gif  
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:54 PM
Account Disabled

^^ Was this ATM or XFL ?

Even if it was ATM is good to see the ZDDP package well over 750's even after 3660 miles on the oil
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

I plan on running Amsoil 0w-40 euro formula for 5000 miles and 2 track days on a wix filter. Curious what comes of it! Will have an analysis in march/april
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willitas34 View Post
I plan on running Amsoil 0w-40 euro formula for 5000 miles and 2 track days on a wix filter. Curious what comes of it! Will have an analysis in march/april
So is the wix filter a better than the mitsubishi filter?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01 View Post
^^ Was this ATM or XFL ?

Even if it was ATM is good to see the ZDDP package well over 750's even after 3660 miles on the oil
It's this oil, as recommended by you when I ordered a while back.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Looks like it's ATM?

While you're here Apagan, is this oil good enough for track days? Or should I move to something else?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:56 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Raptord View Post
It's this oil, as recommended by you when I ordered a while back.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Looks like it's ATM?

While you're here Apagan, is this oil good enough for track days? Or should I move to something else?
Yep thats the ATM.

That oil is an ok to use for track days, i would suggest though to cut back on your drain interval whenever you race 3 or more events with the oil,,, or maybe you can prove that the oil will still hold up after 3K by doing oil analysis, labs will help you make a choice on drain interval.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.