Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont want to speak for the OP, but after talking to him for a while it seems that the main reason of this thread is for him to share his specific set up and driving habits and then offer HIS oil samples.

He also looks for any other person who may have oil samples and for them to share their set ups and driving habits.

this will be a baseline to go by.

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Tommi,

Im just being devils advocate here but what exactly are you trying to get out of this thread Tommi? I mean, if we are using oils such as Redline, Amsoil, etc and we are changing them every 3K miles, we are in no way wearing these high quality oils out so what are we looking for? I don't think your looking for extended drain intervals are you? That would be kinda silly in modified evo's. Everyone has different mods, uses different fuels, and what not as well so the UOA's would be a mix bag too.

Many variables, many mods, and many different driving habits, tunes, etc to really account for accurate UOA's or should I say consistant ones. Even under severe use in either brand of oils listed, changed every 3K will show plenty of life left in these oils. So just curious what your after here.

I would be interested in seeing the same oil placed under different fuels. Example. 3k on E85, 3K on WMI and 3K on pump or race gas. Now that would be something to see. Especially since the WMI and E85 may be prone to breaking down oil at a much higher rate.

Good thread, just curious what your after.

Jeff
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
Agreed.

Could be lots of things other than just the location too, like the quality of the sensor. Not all sensors are created equal right?! Regardless, I wasn't saying that the reason it was more accurate is just because it reads a higher temp in that location, but instead because it reads a higher temp that's logically appropriate for the temp at which you'd expect the oil to be when it's temperature regulated at a much higher temp than 160F.

Agreed here too. I just took a sample of AMO 10W40 after 3K miles of use this last weekend that will be sent off to Blackstone hopefully by tomorrow, so I should be able to contribute to this thread in a more on topic manner here shortly.
You both have valid points. The gauge reading of your oil temp isnt the 'bible' neither are VOA,or UOA's, but.. It can be a useful tool. I like the oil gauge for the fact that I want my oil temps to be at xx temps before I race. I always let me car idle to get my fluids at operating temps, but without a temp gauge you just rely on time, or other gauges like coolant temp gauge. my .02
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Tommi,

Im just being devils advocate here but what exactly are you trying to get out of this thread Tommi? I mean, if we are using oils such as Redline, Amsoil, etc and we are changing them every 3K miles, we are in no way wearing these high quality oils out so what are we looking for? I don't think your looking for extended drain intervals are you? That would be kinda silly in modified evo's. Everyone has different mods, uses different fuels, and what not as well so the UOA's would be a mix bag too.

Many variables, many mods, and many different driving habits, tunes, etc to really account for accurate UOA's or should I say consistant ones. Even under severe use in either brand of oils listed, changed every 3K will show plenty of life left in these oils. So just curious what your after here.

I would be interested in seeing the same oil placed under different fuels. Example. 3k on E85, 3K on WMI and 3K on pump or race gas. Now that would be something to see. Especially since the WMI and E85 may be prone to breaking down oil at a much higher rate.

Good thread, just curious what your after.

Jeff

No problem.

I started this thread because I have plans this summer to do alot more track/road racing and am setting up the evo for it. If it works out the evo should be seeing weekly track time, along with the usual autox events.
I know that there are quality oils, and most folks just stick with whats known to be good and leave it at that. Thats perfectly fine. I personally like to see data, and like to know why a product is recommended, and not just because of marketing schemes.

I am testing out a few different oils and run them in my car, see how I like it and compare that to UOAs,VOAs. I am not a chemist, but if I find two good oils that I liked in my car, I will probably pick the one that came with better UOAs.

Along the way with me posting this stuff up, other evo owners can come here and post there info to share, to expand our knowledge 'pool' so to speak. It can grow to be useful, which I also hope, for newbies that have all these oil questions, maybe this can answer some of their questions. I personally have seen good stuff already as you, Apagan, and a few others have posted lots of good info that YOU may have known already, but me and lots of other guys on here didnt. I think that stuff can add to useful data on here, unlike alot of stuff on here that doesnt seem to add value, but makes stickies.

Back when I first got my evo I asked the local evo guys that tracked their cars often what they thought of this gruppe-s flash because most of them were running the TRE rear diff. They all were saying I was crazy to run both the TRE diff and the race flash-- that I would be drifiting around the turns. The local evo boards were also saying the same thing. I didnt agree with that but couldnt get any proof and no one actually ran that setup to speak from experience, and that bugged me. After having both I can say from experience it has worked amazingly. There is a big sticky on here from my experience and others....... So long story short, its nice to have data instead of taking advise without understaning why.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
I dont want to speak for the OP, but after talking to him for a while it seems that the main reason of this thread is for him to share his specific set up and driving habits and then offer HIS oil samples.

He also looks for any other person who may have oil samples and for them to share their set ups and driving habits.

this will be a baseline to go by.

Yep. Summed up nicely.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommiM
.... and how long can I actually leave it in despite all the internet propaganda. Lots of people say for turbo cars xx amounts of miles, but maybe through my on going info I will be updating on here we will shed a little more light on the info.
This fits in with one of the things I'm interested in with these UOA reports. That is looking at the viscosity at 100 deg C after 3000 or so miles of use, and comparing that number to what it is supposed to be when the oil is new.

For example, the Mobil 1 10w-30 uoa posted by cij911 shows that number as 8.7 cSt. When new, that oil is supposed to be 10.7 cSt at 100 deg C, according to Mobil 1. That is quite a large drop for only 3000 miles of use. Kind of disappointing I think, since synthetic oils are supposed to be good in that regard.

So now I wonder if it continues to drop if you leave the oil in longer, and I wonder if this delta is typical for 10w30 M1 at 3000 miles, and how other oils fare on this. I haven't seen enough uoa's to know those things. So I think yeah, a uoa collection would be a nice thing to have. I'm sure there is a lot of this on Bob is the Oil Guy, but it would be nice to have a uoa collection that is 4g63 turbo specific.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
This fits in with one of the things I'm interested in with these UOA reports. That is looking at the viscosity at 100 deg C after 3000 or so miles of use, and comparing that number to what it is supposed to be when the oil is new.

For example, the Mobil 1 10w-30 uoa posted by cij911 shows that number as 8.7 cSt. When new, that oil is supposed to be 10.7 cSt at 100 deg C, according to Mobil 1. That is quite a large drop for only 3000 miles of use. Kind of disappointing I think, since synthetic oils are supposed to be good in that regard.

So now I wonder if it continues to drop if you leave the oil in longer, and I wonder if this delta is typical for 10w30 M1 at 3000 miles, and how other oils fare on this. I haven't seen enough uoa's to know those things. So I think yeah, a uoa collection would be a nice thing to have. I'm sure there is a lot of this on Bob is the Oil Guy, but it would be nice to have a uoa collection that is 4g63 turbo specific.

Thats another reason why it will be nice to have this info up here. I should have some more up soon as well. No track events till March so no results of track abuse until then.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

removed info. Not Post Related.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Jan 30, 2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

My data was from standard M1 10w-30, NOT HM 10w-30.

I am changing the oil this weekend and will post results from ~3500 miles on M1 HM 10-30.

Too bad this thread has become so cluttered with non-data discussion.

SAVED FOR M1 HM 10w-30 DATA....
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
My data was from standard M1 10w-30, NOT HM 10w-30.

I am changing the oil this weekend and will post results from ~3500 miles on M1 HM 10-30.

Too bad this thread has become so cluttered with non-data discussion.

SAVED FOR M1 HM 10w-30 DATA....

Thanks, I'll edit the info then.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Or you can use the rotalla t6 just as good and if not better then the r.p and half the cost..
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wont speak for the OP , but if it was me i would keep it related to the test, and its results. make this a data bank, and keep the essay type write ups to a minimum they clutter threads.

Quick Reply: Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.