Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

NEW Rear Differential Upgrade from TRE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Currently an OS Giken rear diff, but also have run a cusco and modified stock previously. The stock diff was replaced because it's slow.

Maybe you could help us out since you've obviously experienced this problem. How much torque/power are you making? What are your normal 60' times? How many launches did you do before your bearing fell off?
I remember that Jon told me one of the aftermarket diffs he liked was the OS Giken You can see the comparison in the pictures, how the bearing post is much larger then stock. Also see how the OS Giken doesn't appear to be cast but CNC bilet steel. This was the best picture I could find to compare. The price tag kinda high thou, This is a cheaper alternative, actually over. It's cheaper because you can get his 12 plate max lock service, adding the cover, oil sight glass upgrade, and round trip shipping for well under $1,000

As for my power level. I know I trapped 122mph (somewhere in the high 400' AWHP) in the quarter and have somewhere around 50 launches. I also change the fluid twice a year. On average 1.6-1.7 60'

BTW don't think the OS Giken is an evo diff thou. I pulled it off Google images.
Attached Thumbnails NEW Rear Differential Upgrade from TRE-evo-diff-cover-comparison.jpg   NEW Rear Differential Upgrade from TRE-osg_lsd_720_305_detail.jpg   NEW Rear Differential Upgrade from TRE-rear-diff.jpg  

Last edited by awdboosted; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Currently an OS Giken rear diff, but also have run a cusco and modified stock previously. The stock diff was replaced because it's slow.

Maybe you could help us out since you've obviously experienced this problem. How much torque/power are you making? What are your normal 60' times? How many launches had you done before your bearing fell off?
How do you like the Giken compared to the cusco? I'm running the cusco 1.5 way right now
Old Mar 1, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the whole new TRE rear diff 12-plate MAX LOCK, the oil sight glass, the upgraded HD cover, etc., etc. We will be installing it, along with a fully built TRE custom ratio transmission, and a fully built non-acd t-case with the WaveTrac LSD in the next few weeks. Cannot wait to test these out! Jon is a terrific guy to work and speak with and he really does great work and his attention to detail and knowledge are really impressive. We will post results and feedback soon!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJSP
Will the TRE HD Side Cover Upgrade fit in an Evo V RS rear differential? I believe it is the same differential as used in RS models up to the Evo 9 but I´m not 100% sure.

Thanks,

Ricardo
This is what Jon told me:

The cover will fit any EVO-4/10 rear diff, GSR, RS, MR.

Sorry I took so long to respond.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

so i was going to do this mod, but for the HD side cover for the cusco will there be any shimming required? Tried to contact Jon via phone and e-mail, no response. AMS said maybe, and otherwise I don't know. I thought it would be a simple swap but is it going to be more complicated for the Cusco? I didn't think it would be but then again I don't know what's attached to what in regards to this part...

anyone else have the cusco and got this mod? there must be if he's got one specifically for the cusco..
Old Mar 7, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
so i was going to do this mod, but for the HD side cover for the cusco will there be any shimming required? Tried to contact Jon via phone and e-mail, no response. AMS said maybe, and otherwise I don't know. I thought it would be a simple swap but is it going to be more complicated for the Cusco? I didn't think it would be but then again I don't know what's attached to what in regards to this part...

anyone else have the cusco and got this mod? there must be if he's got one specifically for the cusco..
You do need to reshim the diff. If you have never installed a diff then I would advice send it to Jon @ TRE or buying the part and have another shop install it for you. This part will not come with instructions or shims.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdboosted
You do need to reshim the diff. If you have never installed a diff then I would advice send it to Jon @ TRE or buying the part and have another shop install it for you. This part will not come with instructions or shims.
gotcha... i may unfortunately have to pass then... it's 265 for the part.. 300 to install and reshim.. and 400 to take the diff off and put it back on in the first place.. jeez
Old Mar 7, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

I remember that Jon told me one of the aftermarket diffs he liked was the OS Giken You can see the comparison in the pictures, how the bearing post is much larger then stock. Also see how the OS Giken doesn't appear to be cast but CNC bilet steel. This was the best picture I could find to compare. The price tag kinda high thou, This is a cheaper alternative, actually over. It's cheaper because you can get his 12 plate max lock service, adding the cover, oil sight glass upgrade, and round trip shipping for well under $1,000

As for my power level. I know I trapped 122mph (somewhere in the high 400' AWHP) in the quarter and have somewhere around 50 launches. I also change the fluid twice a year. On average 1.6-1.7 60'

BTW don't think the OS Giken is an evo diff thou. I pulled it off Google images.

funny that john shepherd built me an os geiken lsd two months ago that get shipped out to me soon with other goodies, so guess they make an evo lsd....
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justincase
funny that john shepherd built me an os geiken lsd two months ago that get shipped out to me soon with other goodies, so guess they make an evo lsd....
It's a great diff but super expensive. The Max lock with all the mods is a great alternative to people that aren’t willing to spend over 2K rear diff upgrade. The Max lock works just as well; In fact Marty Grand runs the Max lock diff in his Evo and he won SCCA T2 championship in 2010

Kyooch, Why not just pull the diff yourself and send it into TRE. That is a lot of money. Removal and install may take 1.5 hours at most. I don’t know who you’re using and I'd rather not but that is very expensive.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

It's a great diff but super expensive. The Max lock with all the mods is a great alternative to people that aren’t willing to spend over 2K rear diff upgrade. The Max lock works just as well; In fact Marty Grand runs the Max lock diff in his Evo and he won SCCA T2 championship in 2010

Kyooch, Why not just pull the diff yourself and send it into TRE. That is a lot of money. Removal and install may take 1.5 hours at most. I don’t know who you’re using and I'd rather not but that is very expensive.
funny mine cost less than 1500 fitted and shimmed....
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
Still three times as much as TRE's maxlock.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
OR you can read HBF and do an 8 plate for free and a 12 plate for about $130......
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justincase
funny mine cost less than 1500 fitted and shimmed....
That's how much mine was including everything - but back then the cover wasn't available - take everything back off, reshim, add the part, etc is another matter.

Cost wise, not considering install for both the Tre is 465 and the cusco was 950 +300 to shim the cusco. Tre takes 2-3 weeks, cusco takes less than a day, and provides slightly more lock up/oversteer. I couldnt have the car down so that's what I went with. If I had a daily I'm sure I would have gone with the tre as well.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

lol talked to jon@tre today for a good amount of time. great, great guy, i wish he did all my transmission work.

anyway cusco does indeed need to be reshimmed, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. im basically just looking at the funding right now for a shop to remove and replace the rear diff.. i wish i had the mechanical know how to do it myself i'd save quite a bit of money.. well that and i wouldnt want to screw anything up.. it's not as simple as unbolting the left, right and middle is it? lol

in any case i will make my final decision tomorrow, not that anyone cares lol just an update and i def think it is important for anyone who is using their car in a competitive manner
Old Mar 9, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
lol talked to jon@tre today for a good amount of time. great, great guy, i wish he did all my transmission work.

anyway cusco does indeed need to be reshimmed, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. im basically just looking at the funding right now for a shop to remove and replace the rear diff.. i wish i had the mechanical know how to do it myself i'd save quite a bit of money.. well that and i wouldnt want to screw anything up.. it's not as simple as unbolting the left, right and middle is it? lol

in any case i will make my final decision tomorrow, not that anyone cares lol just an update and i def think it is important for anyone who is using their car in a competitive manner

Quite honestly kyooch, removing and reinstalling the rear diff is cake! There is nothing weird or crazy you have to worry about when doing so. It all comes apart and goes back in very easily and it is DEF something I would recommend doing yourself. Lmk if you have any questions or need the service manual or whatever.