Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That'll be the day. I would love to have a taller deck 4g63, 6mm taller so you can run a 100mm crank with 156mm rods but not have to worry about head gaskets and water pumps like the 4g64..
Yeah, they do that for Hondas, or did, I haven't kept up with it. But when I was looking at that stuff a few years ago it felt like being in some alternate universe!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Talonboost
Yeah, they do that for Hondas, or did, I haven't kept up with it. But when I was looking at that stuff a few years ago it felt like being in some alternate universe!
They do still have the Honda B18 and B20 blocks. They're a cool $2,750 from summit. Aluminum with a steel liner..
Old Jul 9, 2015, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
They do still have the Honda B18 and B20 blocks. They're a cool $2,750 from summit. Aluminum with a steel liner..
I don't know about you guys, but I started using 4G63 parts in my other builds. My 944 has a set of Eagle rods from a 6 bolt engine! I always thought that every car could use a little Mitsubishi in it.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 07:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
quick pic of our EFR EVO 8/9 kit on the 7163- the wastegate (38mm watercooled MVS-AR) isnt bolted on in this pic (we can use either 38 or 44)-

We can also put a GTX Tial housing turbo on the same exact bits and pieces-

This kit is bolted to a stock turbo location Injen intake for fitment testing!

Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
quick pic of our EFR EVO 8/9 kit on the 7163- the wastegate (38mm watercooled MVS-AR) isnt bolted on in this pic (we can use either 38 or 44)-

I understand the C comp cover is larger, but what stops this kit from accepting the larger turbos (8374+) versus the full-race kit which appears to support all; is it the stock turbo location location in the bay that CBRD supports.

Disclaimer - Stock location for all intents and purposes is a win in my book.

Last edited by dr_latino999; Jul 10, 2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dr_latino999
I understand the C comp cover is larger, but what stops this kit from accepting the larger turbos (8374+) versus the full-race kit which appears to support all; is it the stock turbo location location in the bay that CBRD supports.

Disclaimer - Stock location for all intents and purposes is a win in my book.
The 7163 & GT30/35 are very similar in frame size versus the 8374 ETC-

this is a compact kit- well capable of 400-650+whp depending on which turbo we attached to it-

Totally different purposes- again-

If you are building a free flowing high hp engine- a stock housing turbo tends to be much more restrictive than an open scroll non stock housing- we LOVED our stock housing offerings for quick spooling 375-450whp builds on street cars, occasional track cars etc- however for free flowing setups- on the 8/9 we typically put everyone into an open scroll setup

but again- to each their own- just sharing whats going on ill have some more EFR numbers shortly-

cb
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The 7163 & GT30/35 are very similar in frame size versus the 8374 ETC-

this is a compact kit- well capable of 400-650+whp depending on which turbo we attached to it-

Totally different purposes- again-

If you are building a free flowing high hp engine- a stock housing turbo tends to be much more restrictive than an open scroll non stock housing- we LOVED our stock housing offerings for quick spooling 375-450whp builds on street cars, occasional track cars etc- however for free flowing setups- on the 8/9 we typically put everyone into an open scroll setup
When referencing stock location, I meant your ability to utilize the stock location intake on the current EFR test bed, not necessarily a stock frame turbo. The question would the 8374 clear all the A/C, P/S using this manifold? Apologies if I was unclear

Last edited by dr_latino999; Jul 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That's pretty cool Chad. I bet you could fit a stock heat shield over that exhaust manifold. Even though I went with a FP Red because I live in Kalifornia, I will keep track of this thread because, well, you never know lol
Old Jul 11, 2015, 08:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
That's pretty cool Chad. I bet you could fit a stock heat shield over that exhaust manifold. Even though I went with a FP Red because I live in Kalifornia, I will keep track of this thread because, well, you never know lol
Yes we can fit the heat shield- we are actually adding standoff locations to the jig- so it will be an option- or an inconel shield-

The 8374 wont clear the block unfortunately-

cb
Old Jul 12, 2015, 07:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Beautiful work as always.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by URQaudiguy
On most engines, once EMAP:MAP ratios exceed 1:1, they stop making power on pump gas, and get into knock. E85 or octane can sort of cheat above that ratio, but it is with diminishing returns. If you are not monitoring EMAP on the dyno or in car( assume you aren't if you are playing with a .64 6758), I'd recommend it. It will tell the complete story and make you wish for a way to get more A/R once up on boost and extend the powerband further with more timing. Aka more power.
Others vendors have proven, 1.2:1 exhaust back pressure to MAP is a very acceptable range for a street setup. Sure, it won't set pumpgas HP records, but it will have a fat *** powerband that will be a lot more fun to drive then the 1:1 setup. Now sure, if you want to run 30+ psi on 91, yeah 1:1 is pretty useful and will definitely let you turn up the boost.

Originally Posted by altrix99
I disagree. You say that the .80ar is a TRUE .80ar but it doesnt seem to flow like one to me. I, not so secretly, am in the camp that it is choking out the 63 turbine. I think the .72ar is actually a bit larger in volume when produced in the same frame. It def is a step down from the .85ar. I have no reservations about using the twin scroll housing but bolts/studs and gaskets for the long haul on an alloy housing can be problematic...
There are a couple SAE papers on this topic but I'll summarize. Consider firstly that you are talking pulse flow. On a 4 cylinder engine, you really don't have (much) more then 1 pulse trying to go through the turbo at a given time. By going TS with the same A/R, you effectively cut your flow area in half for each pulse. Your 0.80A/R TS effectively has the same flow area as a 0.40 A/R openscroll with regards to that single pulse.

Now consider the open scroll and you'll notice I said "don't have (much) more then 1 pulse trying to go through the turbo at a given time." When you size an openscroll housing, you are sizing so that when you do get overlap between pulses, you have enough flow area to not choke out the pulse. Essentially, you have more flow area then you really need if those pulses were coming in with zero overlap.

So....basic suggestions from SAE peer reviewed technical papers: A TS A/R housing will spool about like an OS housing that is 60% of it's size. Thus, that 0.80A/R TS is about the same for spool as a 0.48 A/R OS.

Power wise however, on a 4 cylinder with proper phasing, the TS performs at roughly 90% of the A/R so that same 0.80 A/R TS is roughly the same as a 0.72A/R OS housing, PROVIDED you are not getting pulse overlap. Basically, at the RPM range where the cam and exhaust manifold are working together, you can get away with a fairly small A/R housing and match the peak torque of an OS housing of nearly the same size. Above that RPM point though, you get pulse stack up and it starts to choke the motor.

This is where that 60% spool figure come into play, take an OS housing that meets your spool needs and multiply it by 1/60%. If 0.72 A/R OS scroll is your ideal, then you need a 1.2 A/R TS housing to match the spool of the OS. OK...so now you have a huge *** housing and response suffers?

Not really...each pair of cylinders at low RPM (where there is no pulse overlap) is seeing only half that housing. The setup will have the transient response of ~0.60 A/R housing...

So...1.2 A/R TS spools like 0.72 A/R and has the transient response of a 0.6 A/R housing all while having the power potential of a 1.08 A/R OS housing. Now...I fully admit, there are boundary effects to take into account as well as thermal transients that definitely skew this. Also how the bigger A/R housing interacts with the wheel is different and typically, you see lower peak turbine efficiency with a larger A/R housing. Typically though, that 1.08A/R power potentially is really larger than what you need as it takes the turbo beyond the VE capabilities of the engine. So you drop down to something like 1.05 A/R, get the power of a 0.95 A/R OS, the spool of a 0.63 A/R and the transient response of a 0.52 A/R housing.

Also...there is something people seem to be ignoring. A/R is a ratio. Two housings can have the same A/R but be VERY different on flow area. This was the point of T3 and T4 as originally, the T4 had a bigger "R" then T3 so the same A/R meant it had a bigger area then the T3 housing. This has kind of gone out the window in the last few years though. The new Garrett T3 TS housings for example use a larger "R" then the "International T3" divided housings used in the past. It appears Garrett basically stuffed the biggest flow area possible that matched up to the T3 divided inlet size. As such, despite having the T3 name, they flow considerably better than older T3 divided housings. Not quiet T4 size...but definitely bigger.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jul 13, 2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
This has kind of gone out the window in the last few years though. The new Garrett T3 TS housings for example use a larger "R" then the "International T3" divided housings used in the past. It appears Garrett basically stuffed the biggest flow area possible that matched up to the T3 divided inlet size. As such, despite having the T3 name, they flow considerably better than older T3 divided housings. Not quiet T4 size...but definitely bigger.
Well dammit that's kind of annoying. If they want to keep using A/R numbers they should give us an R number to go along with it so we can figure out the A. Or they should just give us an A number to begin with like Mitsu and Holset have always done. Then they could throw in an A/R number along with that, just for giggles or whatever. Sheesh.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Forget all this math, butt-dyno tells you all you need to know.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
There are a couple SAE papers on this topic but I'll summarize. Consider firstly that you are talking pulse flow. On a 4 cylinder engine, you really don't have (much) more then 1 pulse trying to go through the turbo at a given time. By going TS with the same A/R, you effectively cut your flow area in half for each pulse. Your 0.80A/R TS effectively has the same flow area as a 0.40 A/R openscroll with regards to that single pulse.

Now consider the open scroll and you'll notice I said "don't have (much) more then 1 pulse trying to go through the turbo at a given time." When you size an openscroll housing, you are sizing so that when you do get overlap between pulses, you have enough flow area to not choke out the pulse. Essentially, you have more flow area then you really need if those pulses were coming in with zero overlap.

So....basic suggestions from SAE peer reviewed technical papers: A TS A/R housing will spool about like an OS housing that is 60% of it's size. Thus, that 0.80A/R TS is about the same for spool as a 0.48 A/R OS.

Power wise however, on a 4 cylinder with proper phasing, the TS performs at roughly 90% of the A/R so that same 0.80 A/R TS is roughly the same as a 0.72A/R OS housing, PROVIDED you are not getting pulse overlap. Basically, at the RPM range where the cam and exhaust manifold are working together, you can get away with a fairly small A/R housing and match the peak torque of an OS housing of nearly the same size. Above that RPM point though, you get pulse stack up and it starts to choke the motor.

This is where that 60% spool figure come into play, take an OS housing that meets your spool needs and multiply it by 1/60%. If 0.72 A/R OS scroll is your ideal, then you need a 1.2 A/R TS housing to match the spool of the OS. OK...so now you have a huge *** housing and response suffers?

Not really...each pair of cylinders at low RPM (where there is no pulse overlap) is seeing only half that housing. The setup will have the transient response of ~0.60 A/R housing...

So...1.2 A/R TS spools like 0.72 A/R and has the transient response of a 0.6 A/R housing all while having the power potential of a 1.08 A/R OS housing. Now...I fully admit, there are boundary effects to take into account as well as thermal transients that definitely skew this. Also how the bigger A/R housing interacts with the wheel is different and typically, you see lower peak turbine efficiency with a larger A/R housing. Typically though, that 1.08A/R power potentially is really larger than what you need as it takes the turbo beyond the VE capabilities of the engine. So you drop down to something like 1.05 A/R, get the power of a 0.95 A/R OS, the spool of a 0.63 A/R and the transient response of a 0.52 A/R housing.

Also...there is something people seem to be ignoring. A/R is a ratio. Two housings can have the same A/R but be VERY different on flow area. This was the point of T3 and T4 as originally, the T4 had a bigger "R" then T3 so the same A/R meant it had a bigger area then the T3 housing. This has kind of gone out the window in the last few years though. The new Garrett T3 TS housings for example use a larger "R" then the "International T3" divided housings used in the past. It appears Garrett basically stuffed the biggest flow area possible that matched up to the T3 divided inlet size. As such, despite having the T3 name, they flow considerably better than older T3 divided housings. Not quiet T4 size...but definitely bigger.
Pulsed flow is very relevant at the lower rpm ranges but as rpm's climb exhaust pulses increasingly narrow to a steadier stream where a mass flow condition takes effect. This is when the divided wall starts becoming a restriction. URQuattro is correct when he is referring to losses as a result of two tapering volutes separated by a wall. An equation is missing that accounts for losses that must be coupled with quite a few variables that will be calculated under very dynamic conditions i.e. inlet temps, turbine pressure, etc that can influence output.

Yes, turbine efficiency becomes a problem when you size your housing too high or too low. You want the radius to match your turbine size. Too small and you have problems energizing the wheel and too large you're overwhelming it...

If i'm looking at this correctly, if the .80ar does indeed spool like a .48ar, surely, he would be getting way faster spool then 22psi@3.8k on the 7163 on E85/2.2.L? He would also be outspooling my 6758/.64ar project on a 2.0L/93oct?

Last edited by altrix99; Jul 14, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Absolutely there is additional boundary wall effects. That's largely why the recommendation in the SAE papers is 60% and not 50% for spool and 90% not 100% for power. That is the empirical data results shown in a real world testing. That is the impact of the divider.

As for the chart, I can't comment as I have no idea what either of you have and different cars/motors/setups/tunes will behave very differently.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread