Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Radiator doesn't suck in antifreeze..

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be full when you first start it but not at operating temp and/or with the heat/ac on.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
It may be full when you first start it but not at operating temp and/or with the heat/ac on.
yesterday i drove it to work 20miles then checked it and it was full. then drove it home after work 20miles again and it wasnt
Old May 30, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

It was def full. I parked it on a hill let it run to temp and put a lil more in the radiator.. drove it that night and it was fine. last night had to give my mom a ride to get her truck watched the gauge the whole time and it was good. got home letting the turbo timer run and watched the gauge go up one lil tick then again. not a lot at all. then when it shut off. glug glug glug got out and the antifreeze was pouring outta the over flow on to the ground....over flow is full to the brim now...
Old May 30, 2011, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Colbyy
Well i dont think its a head gasket kuz id have oil in my antifreeze and antifreeze in my oil and i dont.. I just sucked all the antifreeze outta the overflow till the full line and put it in the radiator like its supposed to do on its own.. now that whistle i had after it heats up goes away and sounds like a clonking noise.. i cant win
you blew your head gasket.

DO NOT drive the car until it's fixed or you will be replacing/rebuilding the engine. From your description, it's probably too late

good luck.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
btw how many miles are on the car? After 60k miles, a full service is required, such as water pump, belts, thermostat, etc. If you are over 60k miles and haven't done any of that, then I would definitely suggest a new thermostat and water pump at least.

I had the same exact problem with my Nissan.
When the car is running, check your hoses. They should both be very hot. If only one hose is hot then your thermostat is stuck.

Also, are there any leaks or anything? And where is the noise coming from? Is it coming from the pulleys/belts/water pump?
Old May 30, 2011, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
you blew your head gasket.

DO NOT drive the car until it's fixed or you will be replacing/rebuilding the engine. From your description, it's probably too late

good luck.
F@ck
Old May 30, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FX11
btw how many miles are on the car? After 60k miles, a full service is required, such as water pump, belts, thermostat, etc. If you are over 60k miles and haven't done any of that, then I would definitely suggest a new thermostat and water pump at least.

I had the same exact problem with my Nissan.
When the car is running, check your hoses. They should both be very hot. If only one hose is hot then your thermostat is stuck.

Also, are there any leaks or anything? And where is the noise coming from? Is it coming from the pulleys/belts/water pump?
i have 52k miles and the whistle noise i was told was power steering pump but me and a mechanic friend figured out it was the idler pully. and no leaks
Old May 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like that speedshop drove the ish out of your car and lifted the head.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
Sounds like that speedshop drove the ish out of your car and lifted the head.
Yeah...?
so everyone thinks ima have to rebuild the head? atleast i can do bigger cams and everything else well im at it.......
Old May 30, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

compression test and leak down test gonna get done soon.. that should tell me whats up. correct ?
Old May 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
compression test and leak down test gonna get done soon.. that should tell me whats up. correct ?
Maybe but probably not. What happens is that when you get on it and the pressure in the cylinders increase, the head lifts a little and burps combustion mixture (mostly air) over to the water jacket. This probably is not going to occur while doing the test unless the head gasket is very bad. And, if the head gasket is very bad, it would immediately dump all of your antifreeze as soon as the engine is running.

For most people the radiator low and the jug overflowing is evidence enough.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Maybe but probably not. What happens is that when you get on it and the pressure in the cylinders increase, the head lifts a little and burps combustion mixture (mostly air) over to the water jacket. This probably is not going to occur while doing the test unless the head gasket is very bad. And, if the head gasket is very bad, it would immediately dump all of your antifreeze as soon as the engine is running.

For most people the radiator low and the jug overflowing is evidence enough.
So have to rebuild the head in other words no if ands or buts about it ?
Old May 30, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
So have to rebuild the head in other words no if ands or buts about it ?
If you know the thermostat is good, the pressure cap is good and the system is sealed and otherwise normal and it is still pushing antifreeze, I know of no other possible cause.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If you know the thermostat is good, the pressure cap is good and the system is sealed and otherwise normal and it is still pushing antifreeze, I know of no other possible cause.
alright well the caps new but im gonna get another and a thermostat either way. and do the test then will see. i just ordered the shop repair Manuel just in case....
Old Jun 1, 2011, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

ordered a new thermostat and radiator cap. gonna try that see if that fixes it and do tho test. if not guess its time to rip the engine apart...

Quick Reply: Radiator doesn't suck in antifreeze..