Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I lauch my car 5 or 6 times a week, what clutch should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
How much chatter does the carbonetic blade clutch have? Normally puck style clutches chatter a lot even with the sprung hub?
Very minimal, because it is made of carbon. It is not as bad as an exedy
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
The ones out here in AZ are very fast, thats probably macause the guy who designs them drives a corvette.

If you look at the course, it's not a straight line immediately after the start gate. That's partially what I'm talking about. Launching an Evolution, meaning bouncing off the 2-step and cutting a ~1.8 60' is impossible in this environment, if there's a hope of keeping the car between the cones. Looking at the map, the first kink in the course is at ~45 feet. A launched Evo will hit it in less time than it takes the driver to exhale a breath (!). Typically, a street launch is used - lightly slipping the clutch at higher revs and accelerating very quickly, but without an all-out AWD launch, which is what the OP was talking about.

Last edited by FJF; Jun 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 725 Likes on 567 Posts
I launch every run Autocrossing. I rev to between 4-5k and blip it a couple times, let the clutch out till it grabs then release it quickly. With the ACT HDSS you know if you messed up cause you'll smell it. If done right, I get a bit of front wheel chirp and then it just goes.

The great thing about the Evo is its ability to turn under acceleration and I have no problem managing through the first set of turns shifting to 2nd. After 8 years of Autocrossing AWD Ive found if the car feels like it has just enough traction then next time drive faster.

Back to the topic of the clutch, I think my technique is good enough for the clutch to survive the season which is about 125 runs for me. Ill replace the disc again this winter just as preventive maintenance.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:53 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

...deleted...

Last edited by FJF; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: don't want to take the thread OT
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the possitive input!
I was hoping autocross guys launch their cars alot and would know what works, there has to be hundreds and hundreds of them arcoss the counrty and with similar mods as mine since they use talent and skill over boost and cams

O.K. , so what I'm getting from you guys and PMs is:
Exedy twin---but the cons are annoying noises, high(er) cost, stiff pedal.

or

ACT heavy duty, stock/firmer pedal, good cost---but the cons are possible lock-out at high revs (and can't tell if it will "last" as long or not)

Hmmmm....

Any other input that will help me?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had lockout issues with the single plate Exedy that was in the car when I first bought it and it only lasted about 15K miles. I have an ACT XTSS now and I love it! I've launched it a dozen or so times at the strip and never had a single lockout issue or smelled any burning clutch. Also, one of the reason I went with the ACT is that they are supposed to last 50K+.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

The Exedy doesn't like a lot of heat, I forget what the plate is called but theirs a real thin plate that warps real easy and causes issues. I bought a used Exedy twin and found the plate was warped into a cone and sent it back.

If you want a twin that can launch often call up English Racing for recommendations, they also have a thread somewhere here with what they've tried and what they like/dislike. IIRC they love the Exedy triple and new Comp Twin (heavier flywheel than the original)

I couldn't care less if my 3rd locked out at high RPMs but so far it hasn't. And 4th lockout? Hah, Ill never see that. I know for sure mine shifts like butter at 7500 into 2nd and has taken 30+ launches so far but like I said above I don't get clutch smell when its done right.

Also, should be mentioned the level of aggressiveness would net around a 1.8 60 ft. I wouldn't consider that too rough, its definitely not a 1.6 style take-off.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:56 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Also, should be mentioned the level of aggressiveness would net around a 1.8 60 ft. I wouldn't consider that too rough, its definitely not a 1.6 style take-off.
If you're referring to the 'launch" technique you cited earlier, no, not really. The technique you use is what, dare I say we all use, albeit with a varying need to rev as high. I've actually gone to the strip to time the 60' of an auto-x launch, done at varying revs. The difference is boost, or its lack thereof. Bouncing off the 2-step, the car builds boost and a quick release of the clutch fires it out of the hole like a bullet. Just revving, not so much. There' no time to blink in the span of 3 car lengths in a 1.8 sec launched Evo, not to mention steer with any kind of accuracy.

Last edited by FJF; Jun 16, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by FJF
If you're referring to the 'launch" technique you cited earlier, no, not really. The technique you use is what, dare I say we all use, albeit with a varying need to rev as high. I've actually gone to the strip to time the 60' of an auto-x launch, done at varying revs. The difference is boost, or its lack thereof. Bouncing off the 2-step, the car builds boost and a quick release of the clutch fires it out of the hole like a bullet. Just revving, not so much. There' no time to blink in the span of 3 car lengths in a 1.8 sec launched Evo, not to mention steer with any kind of accuracy.
I didnt mean to say I had some secret sauce launching technique. Just explaining the how-to's of not smoking the clutch. I have the stock rev limit still at 5k and make sure to stay under that but sometimes I do hit it before take off.

I should have mentioned I always have my car lined up with the wheel in the direction I'm about to move. You're right, things happen really fast in 1st, but if their is a big hard turn I wont take off quite as hard, but I will never baby off the line. Thats just time given up.

Also, Unless the course is right for it I shift to 2nd before the first major turn. So I almost never run out 1st to redline.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 to 6 times a week?

Christ, thats more than I masterbate