Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I modded my diff and noticed slightly better power oversteer on corner exits only. If you guys are looking for better turn in and even more lock up from your rear diff then give Matt a call over at ACDtuning.com. I had the pleasure of running two maps of his and shaved almost two seconds off my time on a 50 second autox course. Also to note I had a lot of noise coming from my rear diff due after the clutch plates broke in. Some people aren't experiencing a bang or chatter but that all varies on what fluid you use. I for one ran amsoil and was trying to diagnose the noises for more than a month since mine was more apparent than everyone else until I threw in a bottle of redline friction modifier. After that my diff was really quiet but I am sure it isn't going to work as well now. I am going to be swapping to redline mt90 or stock fluid before the next season starts back up.

Last edited by dangle; Feb 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dangle
I modded my diff and noticed slightly better power oversteer on corner exits only.
It's not supposed to do anything more than that.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:04 AM

Contemplating doing this hmmmm
Old Mar 4, 2012, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
just FYI with my cusco i dont get a clicking - i get violent banging from the rear end that will shake the entire car. works great lol. when i want to hush it up i just add lsd friction modifier - adding enough it will completely go away
I have this violent banging during slow turns. how much friction modifier did you have to add?

So, I did this mod this weekend and I'm getting some serious clunking at low speeds. I only used the off the shelf Valvoline 'lmited slip' because I forgot to order some diaqueen, since I really just planned to install bushings. I redid the whole procedure to see if theres any damage or signs of wear, if the spring plate is backwards etc, all looks good. This clunking thud reminds me of my cusco lsd in another car, which does not like LSD additives and requires really viscous oil (100% Lucas) to tame. Do you guys think its just the oil or there other things to look into?

BTW when I bought my car used 2mos ago. when I drained the diff I saw clean purple, medium viscous fluid? does anyone know what brand that is?
when I assembled the plates I did not soak them in fluid, it just had a film of oil. Anyway, when I did the first test run I could immediately feel the LSD working, no clunking, no chatter. I get that positrak tire squeal like on my other lsd equipped racecar. I made about 5 turns, about 2 block drive to a parking lot. I did small circle turns, was kind of enjoying the tire squeal. Maybe about 15 circles then i started getting thuds at lowest speeds, and its gets more pronounced, to unbearable. was that the new oil finally getting between the plates? and slipping and grabbing kind of effect? high speed turns and going straight are fine

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Mar 4, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
I've been getting some loud thunking at low speeds, but I just switched to the Redline NS stuff, based on Jon@TRE's suggestion on his website (since the NS can get you better lockup). If it gets too annoying I'll add the quiet juice but I am looking for performance here and it's not a DD.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I have this violent banging during slow turns. how much friction modifier did you have to add?

So, I did this mod this weekend and I'm getting some serious clunking at low speeds. I only used the off the shelf Valvoline 'lmited slip' because I forgot to order some diaqueen, since I really just planned to install bushings. I redid the whole procedure to see if theres any damage or signs of wear, if the spring plate is backwards etc, all looks good. This clunking thud reminds me of my cusco lsd in another car, which does not like LSD additives and requires really viscous oil (100% Lucas) to tame. Do you guys think its just the oil or there other things to look into?

BTW when I bought my car used 2mos ago. when I drained the diff I saw clean purple, medium viscous fluid? does anyone know what brand that is?
when I assembled the plates I did not soak them in fluid, it just had a film of oil. Anyway, when I did the first test run I could immediately feel the LSD working, no clunking, no chatter. I get that positrak tire squeal like on my other lsd equipped racecar. I made about 5 turns, about 2 block drive to a parking lot. I did small circle turns, was kind of enjoying the tire squeal. Maybe about 15 circles then i started getting thuds at lowest speeds, and its gets more pronounced, to unbearable. was that the new oil finally getting between the plates? and slipping and grabbing kind of effect? high speed turns and going straight are fine
wth, the problem just completely disappeared letting the car sit overnight. probably some left over brake cleaner, I dunno. Everything's back to normal, no added benefit that I can notice, no tire squeal, no power oversteer.
I think I'll experiment a bit on different gear oils types and brands from here. The LSD is there, it just doesnt bite.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW, mitsu did the same rearranging of the LSD disks from the factory on the Starion rear LSD. What they had on the cars did not match the order of the disks as was show in the service manual.

Last edited by artinist; Mar 5, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone confirmed that the JDM VIII's have the discs stacked the same way?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

i need to save this for reference
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just did the Weir 12 plate along with the Energy Suspension Mustache Bar and Rear diff mount bushings. Some clunking at low speed tight corners. Get a loud whining 70+mph on accel and sometimes decel from the rear. Filled with Mitsubishi Diaqueen LSD gear oil.

I am not sure whether my old bushings were hiding the whining or if I jostled things around when I did the install. I don't have time right now to play with the pinion spacer but might consider dropping it in a few months and go through it to try to get rid of the whining.

Anyone else besides kyoo get a lot of whining after installing polyurethane bushings?

Last edited by nollij; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:24 PM

Pretty cool... Thanks for the info
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nollij
Anyone else besides kyoo get a lot of whining after installing polyurethane bushings?
I have it.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of rear differential oil did you guys use? I've been recommended the Diaqueen oil because it contains a friction modifier that would reduce noise. But I've also read that the Redline 80W-140 GL-5 gear oil locks up better, but lacks the friction modifier so that means it's noisier.

Does anyone here have experience with both oils? If so, was the lockup in the Redline much more noticeable than the Diaqueen? What about the noise? Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmeister007
What type of rear differential oil did you guys use? I've been recommended the Diaqueen oil because it contains a friction modifier that would reduce noise. But I've also read that the Redline 80W-140 GL-5 gear oil locks up better, but lacks the friction modifier so that means it's noisier.

Does anyone here have experience with both oils? If so, was the lockup in the Redline much more noticeable than the Diaqueen? What about the noise? Thanks in advance!
I did my diff late last year and had normal Redline - with the friction modifiers - put in. The car did the oversteer thing and I have videos earlier in this thread. But that was with -1.0 in the rear which isn't much.

I switched to the no-friction-modifier Redline this year - and I went to -1.5 in the rear. I've only done one event so far, but the power-oversteer behavior didn't really come out. I would guess that it was a combination of the course (no fast sweepers) and the additional camber which should have settled the rear down. The car felt good, I'm not complaining, it's just different. Too soon to say which way is faster.

It does clunk/thunk/etc on low speed turns quite a bit. If you are dailying the car it might get annoying.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
EvoM Guru

I am using 100% Lucas, not the trans lube but the original thick as hell stuff. no clunking, or bucking or anything weird at all. the reason I use this is, i think, i need the thinnest layer of lube between the plates to get a bit more friction. consistent friction, not *slippery* like with friction modifiers. I never really had any luck with those with clutch type LSDs. I dont feel much of the LSD, well since FWD is pulling forward, plus I dont have the torque, I do however feel a bit on decel->accel transitions while turning (autox speeds). not sure if its 3 wheeling effect of course :P

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Mar 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory