Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JDavenport
You shouldn't be having any noises in straight line driving. The noises are caused by the friction plates slipping against each other due to differential wheel speed when the diff is working as it should. And you should only have differential wheel speed in a turn.

With no rear interior, polyU bushings, etc,etc and NS fluid mine is crazy loud poking around the paddock when I turn, but makes no noise in a straight line.

Post up a vid if you can. The noise in slow turns is a popping almost percussive deal.
I will take one tomorrow. My car is so loud that it might be hard to hear but you can feel it. I found a temporary fix for the time being and that is to just turn up the radio really loud.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by JDavenport
Actually, this is straight from TRE's FAQ on rear diff oil reccomendations on their webpage. He actually reccomends the Redline gear oil (NS is what I run) or even the heavy shockproof for drag racers.

96-07 EVO: Mitsubishi recommends that the rear axle that is found in the EVOLUTION be filled with their factory oil, Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil part# 3775610 or a high quality GL-5 or higher 90w Hypoid LSD gear oil. These oils contain a friction modifier that will reduce noise associated with friction disc type limited slips.
REDLINE 80W-140 GL-5 GEAR OIL We highly recommend using Redline 80W140 GL-5 Gear Oil. Their part number is # 58104. For road racing applications, use Redline 80w-140.
* If you are wanting to increase the lock-up of the limited slip differential you will want to use Redline 80w-140 NS. This oil will increase lock-up but it does not contain the friction modifiers that reduce noise.
REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY If the vehicle is going to be drag raced Redline Shockproof Heavy is an excellent oil for the rear axle but outside temps should be 45*F or warmer because the oil is not thin enough for cold weather use.
right, but for RevMotos case notice that Jon doesn't talk about the noise - or actually that the 140 causes MORE noise. increase lock up, not talkign about lubrication

Anyway, the straightline noise is odd. something is probably wrong? I noticed that for my tight radius turns my noise goes down if I change the ACD settings - I have the Gruppe-S aftermarket acd flash for more aggressive lockup. makes noticeably less noise in turns in Snow than Tarmac. Never get noise in straights though

Last edited by kyoo; Nov 7, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
If that was so then the noise wouldn't be apparent in the first place and mitsubishi wouldn't of installed the plates the way they did because of customer complaints.
? that's not relevant. In any case, it WILL lubricate better than other stuff. Whether or not the car still makes noise seems to be hit or miss. These diffs call for straight 90. Even my cusco called for non-synthetic straight 90. I'm assuming there is a property about straight weight oils that the diffs like. Namely, as I spoke with Jon about, there are less additives.. I'll find the email

"Straight weight oils tend to have better lubrication qualities because they don’t have Viscosity Index Stabilizers taking up space. VIS only aid in control of viscosity but have little lubrication qualities. This is why Mitsu likes the straight 90w oil in the t-case." - jon@tre

I actually asked him a couple times because I did want to use Amsoil for my t-case and diffs (which I am). The e-mail in particular is in regard to some failures with t-case breaks in that Shep had using Amsoil svg gear to break in their built t-cases. In the end Jon@tre said... just use the correct oil. Shep said, just go with diaqueen. I'm still using Amsoil lol.

I'm just passing on this information. Take it or leave it. I chose to leave it, but thought maybe you'd want to know what they said

Again though, I'm not sure your particular issue is as simple as changing the fluid.. no one elses rear diff makes noise in the straights. good luck

Last edited by kyoo; Nov 8, 2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so Kyoo I hear the clutch plate chatter on low speed turns but nothing straight ahead. Should I leave the Diaqueen in it or should add a little shock proof or friction modifier to it? I did the Weir Racing 12 plate upgrade. Aside from the chatter it appears to be fine.

Its pretty pronounced (the sound). Is there a danger the plates will eventually wear all the way down.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Ok so Kyoo I hear the clutch plate chatter on low speed turns but nothing straight ahead. Should I leave the Diaqueen in it or should add a little shock proof or friction modifier to it? I did the Weir Racing 12 plate upgrade. Aside from the chatter it appears to be fine.

Its pretty pronounced (the sound). Is there a danger the plates will eventually wear all the way down.
honestly no idea. like i said, i went the amsoil route. i think my next change will be with diaqueen in both the t-case and the rear diff. i believe diaqueen has friction modifier in it. i'm not so sure that the plates slipping all the time is that great for the diff either. have you played with the acd to see if that makes any difference in the low speed turning noise?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I was gonna do a flush on the diff to see if I had an shaving with some fresh amsoil but i guess I will pick up some diaqueen.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:08 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
With the diff fully supported with urethane bushings I get a whine if slightly decelerating on the freeway. Also I get a touch of chatter if I take off when cold in a tight radius.
Sorry if I missed it. Are you using Diaqueen?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Sorry if I missed it. Are you using Diaqueen?
Yeah. Started with redline something-something NS (no friction modifier) and it was misserable. Chattered so much turning at any capacity.

Switched to diaqueen and it almost completely went away when turning but the whine is still there. Been exactly the same since I put the diff in ~2-3k miles ago.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah. Started with redline something-something NS (no friction modifier) and it was misserable. Chattered so much turning at any capacity.

Switched to diaqueen and it almost completely went away when turning but the whine is still there. Been exactly the same since I put the diff in ~2-3k miles ago.
yeah the whine is the bushings - after i got mine put in my whine at 75mph is RIDICULOUS
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
yeah the whine is the bushings - after i got mine put in my whine at 75mph is RIDICULOUS
Yeah, I just assumed it was the bushings since that part didnt change with the fluid change. Are you bushings solid or urethane? My whine isn't annoyingly loud with the urethanes in, but Ive heard solid can make it pretty unbearable on a DD.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I just assumed it was the bushings since that part didnt change with the fluid change. Are you bushings solid or urethane? My whine isn't annoyingly loud with the urethanes in, but Ive heard solid can make it pretty unbearable on a DD.
mine are polyurethane - the brand name escapes me at the moment, but thye're not whitelines.. energy maybe?

anyway but when I talked to the shop they said despite the bushing composition, because of the design of it, it hardly matters, might as well almost be solid. actually even with the stock bushings I heard the whine - oh I also had the mustache bar bushing or something put in as well which could be contributing
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the front lsd diff, is it stacked incorrectly?

edit: derp, nm

Last edited by akauf; Nov 10, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
dangi need to stop being lazy and do this mod
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

I did the wier 12 plate and I noticed mild chatter at low speeds in turns, and also when in reverse. Actually in reverse it was quite loud. Using Amsoil in my diff. Also got some whiteline bushings in for the diff/mustache bar supports. I have not noticed any additional noise than the mild chatter listed above. Great mod for sure.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey there I did read all the pages, but was difficult to follow which one of you did the re arrange mod and which did the 12 plate WEIR.

I am just trying to see if those of you or most of you who did the OEM plate rearrange also had chatter issues after some driving?

M

Quick Reply: Rear Diff clutch plates installed incorrectly from factory