Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine ping

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2003, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine ping

I just installed stage 1 and 2 from buschur. The car seems to be running fine but everytime I rev the engine, then let off the gas, I hear this really high pitched ping. This also happens after i shift. Sometimes it will make a couple of pings, its weird. Ive tried listening under the hood but its almost impossibe to tell where its coming from.Thats why Im thinking maybe it internal.

Ive talked to buschur about it and they said that I wouldnt be able to hear engine knock and if it was then my engine would be blown already. They told me it my might be boost leak, so we went over the boost gauge, controller, and IC piping fitting and they were all good. It might be nothing but I dont wanna drive a 30K car if Im doing alot of damage to it.

As I said ive got stage one and two. Buschurs S-AFCII settings. 91 octane and 6500 feet above sea level.

Does any one have a clue what could be making this noise?!?!?!
Old Dec 31, 2003, 05:26 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Re: Engine ping

Originally posted by dperfect21
I just installed stage 1 and 2 from buschur. The car seems to be running fine but everytime I rev the engine, then let off the gas, I hear this really high pitched ping. This also happens after i shift. Sometimes it will make a couple of pings, its weird. Ive tried listening under the hood but its almost impossibe to tell where its coming from.Thats why Im thinking maybe it internal.

Ive talked to buschur about it and they said that I wouldnt be able to hear engine knock and if it was then my engine would be blown already. They told me it my might be boost leak, so we went over the boost gauge, controller, and IC piping fitting and they were all good. It might be nothing but I dont wanna drive a 30K car if Im doing alot of damage to it.

As I said ive got stage one and two. Buschurs S-AFCII settings. 91 octane and 6500 feet above sea level.

Does any one have a clue what could be making this noise?!?!?!
Is your exhaust hitting the heat shield? the high shrill noise it makes is commonly mistaken for ping
Old Dec 31, 2003, 07:45 PM

Nope that cant be it because the exhaust was the last thing installed. I took it for a test drive before installing the exhaust and I was getting the same noise.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Possibly, in some strange and twisted way, could it be the 1G DSM bypass valve that is used?

I'm thinking that maybe it's sticking and since it is all metal in that area, maybe you are hearing a ping from metal-to-metal contact when you get off the throttle.

Other than that, I am stumped.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 08:26 PM

ill try listening closer to the 1g.. hopefully that is it. thanks
Old Dec 31, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

If I just solved this problem, then I am the greatest internet tuner that the world has ever known.