Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

fuel pump wire with high/low voltage circuit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The 5 wire setup is for current sense feedback. The pin puts out a current proportional to the output current. You use a resistor to set up the feedback voltage and when the voltage on that pin reaches 4.7V, it trips the over current protection. With the AUIR3313, a 2k ohm resistor would give you a current limit of 20 Amps. The only problem with these pieces is there is a fairly large range of the trip voltage and the current feedback ratio. You probably just want to up it above the fuse point so it never trips, something like 1k ohm for a 40A set point.

I'm pretty sure these "intelligent switches" are simply new replacements for SSRs. Seems like the SSRs are all around 10 years old. These switches are almost all made within the last 2 years. Newer technology I assume means lower on state resistance. I'm looking to package about 30 of these into a box for a solid state relay box for the car and trying to dissipate any more heat would be trouble.

The TO-220 package makes me a little nervous though as all the output current goes through one lead. On the D2-pak, pins 4 and 5 are connected and provide the output while the back plane tab is the source. Seems like it could handle current better, but definitely causes an issue if it's not being mounted on a CCA.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jan 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Definitely would be easier to wire up a panel mount SSR. I did a bit more searching, and Crydom makes some applicable SSRs with on-state resistance values of 0.01 ohm or less. D06D60 has an on-state resistance of 0.01 ohm. At 20 amps, this would give a voltage drop of no more than 0.2 V, and no more than 4 W to dissipate. Heat sinking it to the sheet metal under the seat should do the job.

The only drawback is that they are $100. Trying to figure out why there is such a big difference in price between the $5 power switch you showed and one of these SSRs.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Let us know if you figure it out as I was trying to figure out the same thing. Other then packaging, these switches seem to be far superior and far less expensive, that rarely is the case from my experience. Even packaging is far superior really, but from a PCB perspective. For a standalone application, these switches seem to be troublesome. Now if somebody packaged them into a heat sinked relay package for automotive use to replace existing relay footprints...

The only thing I noticed is it seems the Crydom SSRs were released back around 2000 and these little guys were released around 2010. With the changes in the automotive industry in the last 10 years towards high powered electronics (hybrids) I have to wonder if they are so much cheaper simply because of those changes in the market.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
What is the downside to doing a standard rewire with a single relay vs. this mod?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Fuel pressure over run at low load conditions.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 08:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Fuel pressure over run at low load conditions.
And running the pump at full power 100% of the time.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
And running the pump at full power 100% of the time.
I never knew the pump had high/low circuit, but after my Walbro 400lph swap I think I see it. I now notice that if I exceed ~8in/mg on the boost gauge the fuel pressure jumps 18psi from ~42psi to ~60psi. Is this due to voltage change and can it be adjusted? My DEFI gauges allow me to record this information. Please see the video below and this is my car driving on the highway.

Video
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I never knew the pump had high/low circuit, but after my Walbro 400lph swap I think I see it. I now notice that if I exceed ~8in/mg on the boost gauge the fuel pressure jumps 18psi from ~42psi to ~60psi. Is this due to voltage change and can it be adjusted? My DEFI gauges allow me to record this information. Please see the video below and this is my car driving on the highway.

Video
I started a new thread for you:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ion-table.html
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
God where would this community be without you sir! You rock. This is a fantastic idea!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrFred what does the transition table do exactly? does it allow more precise use of the single rewire ie (stm kit) method?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoloved
MrFred what does the transition table do exactly? does it allow more precise use of the single rewire ie (stm kit) method?
look at the video i posted above. At a certain rpm and load the pump goes from low voltage to high voltage. As seen in the video I am getting ~18psi increase in fuel pressure just cruising on the highway.

You can now adjust the load/rpm for the voltage switch point.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evoloved
The factory wiring has low voltage (about 10 V) and high voltage (supposed to be battery voltage) circuits. This table sets the load where the high voltage circuit kicks in. It works with the factory wiring and my rewire, but not single rewire like the STM kit (or any other kit currently out there). A rewire that takes advantage of the low/high voltage table is a bit involved. I'm feeding info to SpoolinUp so that he can sell a kit if he likes.

Last edited by mrfred; Jan 14, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The factory wiring has low voltage (about 10 V) and a high voltage (supposed to be battery voltage) circuits. This table sets the load where the high voltage circuit kicks in. It works with the factory wiring and my rewire, but not single rewire like the STM kit (or any other kit currently out there). A rewire that takes advantage of the low/high voltage table is a bit involved. I'm feeding info to SpoolinUp so that he can sell a kit if he likes.
Okay I get it now thanks sir
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:34 AM
EvoM Guru

The on-state resistance of the D1D40 is 0.05 ohm. Didn't sound like much until I did the voltage drop and power generation calculation at 20 amps. I get 1 volt and 20 watts. Definitely would need a heat-sink for continuous operation. It would be much easier to dissipate 2 W, so I just ordered up an IR3313 from Newark.
I received the IR3313 that I ordered from Newark. Not impressed with the thickness of the leads. Hard to imagine that its build for anything more than a few amps of continuous current. I feel much more comfortable with a panel mount type SSR. In looking at the Crydom website, I found a few that have an onstate resistance as low as 0.01 ohm. I may try one, but for the moment, I'm leaning back towards electromechanical relays and have ordered a few from Newark that I'm going to examine.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
cant wait for updates!

Quick Reply: fuel pump wire with high/low voltage circuit