Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Building my first engine for a local customer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
I might document it all. I just spent like 400 bux on measurement tools & misc stuff.. ( since i plan on doing this more then one time and i refuse not to blueprint the assembly as i go.

Im gonna tell you guys alll the tools i got and what i have learned in hopes to help and educate others as well..

1. Jegs rod bolt stretch gauge - you shouldnt use a tq wrench on rod bolts for maximum functionality.

2. Plastigauge just for a last minute check

3. summit racing ring filer - not the best, but not the worst either.

4. Mitutoyo 0-4" micrometer set

5. digital dial bore gauge - seems ok.. i will probably buy a dial gauge as well for it.

6. i still need to figure out what micrometer set i want.. either starrett or mitutoyo. probably mitutoyo, from research they are one the best and most affordable for their quality.

7. set of feeler gauges .. was gonna get telescoping gauges also, but probably wont.

8. piston ring expander tool

9. wiseco ring compressor tool (100% same as arp tool but cost much less) (part #RCS08700 - for 87mm 4g64 bored .20 over)

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
This sounds like you may be talking about my situation of buying a built short block that locked up from simply cranking the motor due to thrust washers being installed backwards hence me re-building the motor myself. The shop accused me of running the motor hard for thousands of miles when in fact it was never started. It wasn't JAM to clear things up.
No, it wasn't you. Was a customer in England, I can probably find the thread. There were a few other unhappy customers that came along with it. End of the story was they botched his 2.1/2.2 build and refused to claim responsibility for improperly installed thrust bearings. He ended up getting sent a 2.3L as a replacement.

EDIT***Here it is - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...nightmare.html
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have fun. Your tool list looks good. I like digital gauges and Mitutoyo absolute are industry standard in engineering.

Everyone feels a little different about clearances, so you just have to pick something. JAM seems like a good shop, tons of 4G63 expeience and much better than trying to use a muscle car place. I was stressed using the shop I did. The had some experience with a local rally shop that used them on evo race motors, so they had a torque plate.

Just take your time.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SDevo13
No, it wasn't you. Was a customer in England, I can probably find the thread. There were a few other unhappy customers that came along with it. End of the story was they botched his 2.1/2.2 build and refused to claim responsibility for improperly installed thrust bearings. He ended up getting sent a 2.3L as a replacement.

EDIT***Here it is - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...nightmare.html

Ah, I remember this thread. And it was a much worse situation than mine but I know the pain.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jid2
Have fun. Your tool list looks good. I like digital gauges and Mitutoyo absolute are industry standard in engineering.

Everyone feels a little different about clearances, so you just have to pick something. JAM seems like a good shop, tons of 4G63 expeience and much better than trying to use a muscle car place. I was stressed using the shop I did. The had some experience with a local rally shop that used them on evo race motors, so they had a torque plate.

Just take your time.
Thanks JID. Ya, putting together a parts list was alittle stressful, because i was trying not to get bad tools and theres so much out there to choose from. im definitely getting the micrometers in mitutoyo also.

Your build is a perfect example how a car should perform after a good assembly.. and you've helped me a lot when i was new to these ecu's and in general regarding crankcase pressure issues and so forth.. you're a very smart guy. so i appreciate that man.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spi makes pretty good instruments for reasonable prices.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Spi makes pretty good instruments for reasonable prices.
good to know. I seen some SPI stuff on ebay i was looking at. they did look good quality. They have some nicely priced digital micrometers.

edit: read this for good micrometer reviews: http://longislandindicator.com/p29.html

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 24, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:52 PM

Good read this thread

Interesting seeing how people have learned how to do things and methods of working.

This forum and MLR forum have been very helpfull over the years seeing with threads like this comming along and other peoples builds

Ive done 3 engine builds myself now and about to start a 4th with a friend very soon.

I got bored over christmas one year so got an old motor and pulled it apart and re-built it back up just to see how it all come apart and went back together.

The engine in my evo 5 has been the biggest learning curve by far as like everybody else you make a few mistakes along the way and learn by them, so with my 4th engine build to soon be under way i feel confident it will be a good one.

Craig
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Great thread and very informative. Thanks for this.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Have fun tom! I would say good luck but luck has nothing to do with it. Double and triple check your work and you will be fine. The rod bolt stretch guage is cool. I have no patience so I always have the machine shop I trust do all measurements. They are perfectionists and I have never had an issue with their work. Blueprinting is a great habit to start so there are no questions later.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Adam. What machine shop do we have local that does good work? I didnt know we had any good reputable shops around here.

Ya, im definitely going to check and make sure everything is where it should be. It would have been cheaper to let the machine shop assemble for the price we paid for the tools, but i really want to be able to say i built the engine.. plus just doing it for the first time has to be really cool. i know you've done it lots of times so its nothing new to you, but im a newbie lol.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by craigybaby37
Good read this thread

Interesting seeing how people have learned how to do things and methods of working.

This forum and MLR forum have been very helpfull over the years seeing with threads like this comming along and other peoples builds

Ive done 3 engine builds myself now and about to start a 4th with a friend very soon.

I got bored over christmas one year so got an old motor and pulled it apart and re-built it back up just to see how it all come apart and went back together.

The engine in my evo 5 has been the biggest learning curve by far as like everybody else you make a few mistakes along the way and learn by them, so with my 4th engine build to soon be under way i feel confident it will be a good one.

Craig
ill try to get as much good usable info in here as i can. i might document the assembly also for you guys to see. but i kind of feel like im doing something thats been done 100x before.. so i may not.. but ill snap some pics here and there.

Originally Posted by badev0
Great thread and very informative. Thanks for this.
no problem. just lots of info i gathered from the internet.. slowly coming together and adding it here for others to help or criticize me etc so i can get steered in the right direction.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

JAM built (machined, parts, etc.) my shortblock and I must say that it runs better than my OEM motor. It rev's up smooth, made REALLY good power with baseline timing numbers on 91 octane and it spools the turbo almost instantly. I went with their hellraiser 2.3l and have been revving it out to 8500. Leakdown test were around 5-6% loss which was really good.

I can honestly say that anytime I had any doubt or worry about my motor (I had a few clutch issues and thought it could've been the engine) JAM was willing to stand by their work. Tony is a stand up guy and Carmella is gone so they are a lot better now. Anyway if your guy is going to JAM for the machining. They're also the first shop to give me a number to reach them at that was not a shop only line. I stand by them and they are a stand-up shop who really knows their stuff. Also as a mechanical engineer they never bs'd me when I had questions about some of their recommendations. They didn't pretend to know what they were doing and if I wanted to go with a different part because of my goal, they were able to reciprocate with my reasoning. It's rare that I can have a conversation with a shop about the theory behind it instead of just getting blinged out parts because "that's what everyone else runs."

To say the least my experience with them has been good.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
ill try to get as much good usable info in here as i can. i might document the assembly also for you guys to see. but i kind of feel like im doing something thats been done 100x before.. so i may not.. but ill snap some pics here and there.

no problem. just lots of info i gathered from the internet.. slowly coming together and adding it here for others to help or criticize me etc so i can get steered in the right direction.
I just fired up the engine on my Evo about 3 hours ago after sitting for 4 years and after an 18 month build, 8 of which was due to my rebuilding of a so-called built engine, I feel so much better that I have the experience of doing something that I didn't even want to think about doing myself years ago.

Ready to tackle my SR20DET engine now.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
JAM built (machined, parts, etc.) my shortblock and I must say that it runs better than my OEM motor. It rev's up smooth, made REALLY good power with baseline timing numbers on 91 octane and it spools the turbo almost instantly. I went with their hellraiser 2.3l and have been revving it out to 8500. Leakdown test were around 5-6% loss which was really good.

I can honestly say that anytime I had any doubt or worry about my motor (I had a few clutch issues and thought it could've been the engine) JAM was willing to stand by their work. Tony is a stand up guy and Carmella is gone so they are a lot better now. Anyway if your guy is going to JAM for the machining. They're also the first shop to give me a number to reach them at that was not a shop only line. I stand by them and they are a stand-up shop who really knows their stuff. Also as a mechanical engineer they never bs'd me when I had questions about some of their recommendations. They didn't pretend to know what they were doing and if I wanted to go with a different part because of my goal, they were able to reciprocate with my reasoning. It's rare that I can have a conversation with a shop about the theory behind it instead of just getting blinged out parts because "that's what everyone else runs."

To say the least my experience with them has been good.
ya, ive got quite a few customers with their engines and they are always fine when being tuned.. i have confidence in their machine work no doubt.. they have been doing it for a very long time.

the only thing i don't like is, they will not talk to me.. they make me go through the customer to get info.. but its not really a big deal i guess.. that and they didn't let my customer pick out his own parts or supply them (which could of saved him hundreds of dollars).. they pushed theirs on him.. which again i can understand if they wanted to start the process and had pistons on the shelf there.. other then that so far they seem very professional from what my friend/customer is telling me.

i know they use very expensive measuring tools there also. i probably dont even need to measure as we assemble, but its something id like to do just out of habbit so i know the actual clearances and have the engines blue print.

Quick Reply: Building my first engine for a local customer