Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 7460 GTII 'Kai' - Failures?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS does not want to sell a WGA.
well this isnt good news at all. anyway From my own observation the WGA swap looks doable, maybe you can modify or custom made a different bracket where the actuator sits on the turbo. I guess we'll have to wait until someone tries it firsthand to find out.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, so far so good. Surprisingly Forced Performance actuactor for this turbo is a direct swap! No need to change anything. Installed (I was dumb to go for 18 psi I'd go for 25 psi now but that does not matter much). Works fine. Tons of issues are GONE:

1) Stall on hitting the brake on neutral

2) Erratic idle

3) Bad acceleration

4) TRIMS ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gentlemen, so if you have something from that list - make sure your WGA is actually working.

Good luck!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 05:12 PM

Great news kooler. So is it direct bolt on affair? No modifications? I think ill get one just in case. Thanks for the update. Did u take a picture of the fp wg installed on the hks turbo?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to post my personal experience. I was the first one in the west coast that I know of that was tuned with the HKS 7460. At least that is what FFTEC told me. I have a couple of track sessions with this turbo 1 was at thill over 100deg temps and the other at sears point around 80 deg. I also use to dd it for awhile as well probbaly put about 10k miles on it. I am running 27.5 psi on e85. I got roughly 425/415 on first tune then retuned at 435/425(had to change out stock dv for synchronic cause my stock crushed valve failed).

So far no issues whatsoever on this turbo. I do make sure oil intervals are changed often and I am not running a restrictor pill. Just letting you know my experience.

I hope anyone who has had issues will get taken care of from HKS. For HKS to come out first with a bb stock frame turbo and have such a good track record is pretty phenomenal imho. I know of a few others in cali tracking with this turbo with success. I would say as long as you do the proper maintenance and adjustments when you need too you should not have an issue. Of course there are always exceptions... I wish those who do have the turbo success as well. The responsiveness is quite amazing imho and I am still on a stock 2.0.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 09:32 PM

Great feedback skilmatic, I think your personal experience with this turbo is pretty re-assuring considering the negative feedback that this turbo has gotten on this thread. my car is currently with the tuner and according to him all is well since they found out that the ebc settings hasnt been dialed in properly, that is why my boost would not hold, anyway, ill be getting the car this weekend hopefully all is well I would just have to cross my finger on that. btw, is your hks turbo the kai version? thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kamote2000
Great feedback skilmatic, I think your personal experience with this turbo is pretty re-assuring considering the negative feedback that this turbo has gotten on this thread. my car is currently with the tuner and according to him all is well since they found out that the ebc settings hasnt been dialed in properly, that is why my boost would not hold, anyway, ill be getting the car this weekend hopefully all is well I would just have to cross my finger on that. btw, is your hks turbo the kai version? thanks for sharing.
No problem, I figured I'd chime in just to tell my experience. As far as it being a KAI I am pretty sure it is not however, I will have to double check just to be 100% sure. I don't want to give any false info. I am currently out of town so I can't just go to the garage and check. I did get mine while HKS was doing the promotion deal when you buy the turbo they gave you cams and a boost controller. Since Fftec is an authorized dealer they had offered this to the local community and I bit on it. I know there was some speculation as to the first turbos sold in America were non KAI. I did the turbo install myself and did not remember seeing KAI on there anywhere. However like I said I can't tell you for certain whether it is or isn't. Once I get a chance to check I will update.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I too have HKS 7460 both on 91 and E85, and have nothing but total satisfaction and praise for it.
I just purchased another HKS 7460, also sold during the promotion: mine was purchased by me new with cams during the promotion, and the used one I just purchased the original owner bought as promotion package with cams.
Both are perfect, no issues, and the performance is impressive.

Evo with HKS works like factory intended, not like tuned-car of yesterday.

If you follow WRC, you can find easily out that HKS builds mostly everything for Ralliart, which in turns races most successfully Evo 9, Evo X, and WRC Evo, in Group N, Group R4, and WRC.
The engines are HKS, and much more.
HKS is like factory tuning arm for Mitsubishi, similar to AMG to Mercedes and Alpina to BMW, so they get all the transfer of technology and manufacturing resources to create and produce OEM quality products.

I considered CBRD BBK-Full and FP Green in BB formats, but after reviewing countless dyno's and reading countless feedback, I understood that There was little in it at top end, but there was quiet a bit in response and bottom end difference in favor of the HKS.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
YES ABSOLUTELY

unfortunatley no pics as we did not realize it would be that easy

I''ll make one today from the hood

Originally Posted by kamote2000
Great news kooler. So is it direct bolt on affair? No modifications? I think ill get one just in case. Thanks for the update. Did u take a picture of the fp wg installed on the hks turbo?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a HKS turbo sitting here and will attempt to fit several gates.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:24 AM

Been running the 7460 KAI for 1.5 years now. Always following these threads becuase all the bad hype has cuased some worry. I will say mine has been tuned at 25PSI by AWD Motorsports since day one and is good for 400hp and 365lbs and not one problem AT ALL. Just amazing response. Hope the best for everyone who invested in one of these.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too also purchased my turbo during the original release with cams, springs and turbo kit. It has also served me well and works for me. I think what most folks are eluding to is the fact that HKS pulled out of the US market and left everyone hanging. Its always the little things that generate loyalty or cause folks to hate you. Like the WG mentioned in earlier posts. A simple, inexpensive part that they wouldn't sell by itself. Ahhh, to each his own.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I also own one, but I've been too lazy to install it... anyone local to Long Island, NY that wants to motivate me!? Anyway it's nice to see people are having success with this turbo. I also have the HKS cams that came with the promotion... are they worth installing or should I go for something more aggressive?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:34 PM

well its good to know that people who have had actual "Success" with this turbo are chiming in on this thread, maybe its time to rename this thread to just HKS GTII 7460 Turbo Feedback . Im pretty sure that there are others out there who are one way or another satisfied with the HKS, I also think that maybe a few hks turbos may have gone bad for one reason or another but I also dont think that if a few of them went wrong doesnt make all of the HKS GTII a Sucky turbo.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

We had a turbo failure thread on a local forum when I lived up In norcal and there wasnt a single HKS turbo failure. All failures were from fp and cbrd. When they came out with their first versions of their bb versions I remember people complaining about oil feed/return issues. Now in all fairness there were far more cbrd and fp turbos sold than HKS. But I think it is fair to say for HKS to come out with the first bb stock frame turbo and were at the fore front and to have as few issues as they have had is remarkable.

Another note is they were also the first to come out with mivec cams. This back in middle of 06. Then afterwards you started seeing other companies follow suit and make their versions. Same instance we have here today with the turbos. And then people want to bash because their cams didnt make as much power. The thing people need to realize is HKS isn't in the business of making peak power. Japan has an entirely different mindset than MUricans. HKS are innovators and other businesses take what they make and design it differently to compliment their needs. Since the US market is driven by power numbers it is easy for other companies to make a grind that suits their customers needs or in this case a turbo.

There is a lot of misinformation floating around on this forum. Half of people's issues are what they see on the forums and the other half may be solved if they can read through the conjecture and bs.

I personally am a supporter of American made products. I am pleased to see American manufacturers design their own versions of the turbo and it gives the market more options and to me that is a good thing. As long as a company takes care of their customers that is what really matters in the end. I just hope if anybody has run into issues regardless of the turbo that they get taken care of.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:13 AM

I can't wait to see a similar setup on a PB X!

Quick Reply: HKS 7460 GTII 'Kai' - Failures?